buick forums   buick forums

Verano | LaCrosse | Regal (Old) | Enclave | Encore | Lucerne | Roadmaster | LeSabre | Century | Park Avenue | Riviera | Reatta | Grand National
Buick Forum: 2001 Buick LeSabre wipers won't turn off

2001 Buick LeSabre wipers won't turn off

Remove this ad
    Started happening yesterday when we got some rain. Turned the wipers on and when I turn it to the off setting above mist, they keep going, although really slowly as if it's stuck on the lowest setting.

Before this happened I started getting a security light when I put it into park flashing every now and then. That light comes on randomly.

Is this a fuse, body control module, something else?

joseph

Re: 2001 Buick LeSabre wipers won't turn off

I should also add that the cruise control button won't stay lit whenever I try and turn it on. Perhaps the problems are related.

joseph

Do you have the rain-sensing wipers on your car? You can tell if you do by the black sensor stuck to the inside of the windshield behind the rear view mirror.
    Buick Owner since 1993, 1988 Buick Electra T-Type, 221K miles, sold 7/09
    2001 Lesabre Custom, over 100K miles, now on long-term loan to MIL, GM-approved walnut shell coolant system sealer keeping things tight until UIM/LIM gasket job gets done soon

I don't think I do, I only see the rear view mirror with its auto dim function and that single black connecting piece. I don't see anything separate coming off of the windshield with holes to allow water into it or anything like that.

BTW, the problem seems to happen when I turn. As soon as I start turning the car, the windshield wipers come on. When I'm going straight long enough, they tend to turn off on their own, and then come back in another turn.

I'm suspecting there's a wire in the steering column area somewhere that is frayed and rubbing against something and shorting anytime I turn a corner (meaning I'm turning the wheel). I have a Haynes manual, and it shows a fuse that's hooked to it. I'll pull the fuse for now and inspect the wires.

I've had both of the problems that you describe. The Cruise control button problem is most likely caused by a defective button. There is a small ratchet cam inside the button that locks and unlocks the switch each time that it is depressed. This cam rotates on a plastic pivot shaft that breaks. I repaired the one on my 2001. My repair on my 2002 didn't work so I permanently locked the button in the on position. New buttons are available thru an ebay store, approx $20.

The windshield wiper problem on mine seemed to be caused by water getting into the motor electrical connector. It would begin acting up after a hard rain. After drying out for a couple of days, the problem would disappear. I pulled the fuse until it dried.

I did have a problem with my airbag light when the steering wheel was rotated. It was a bad clock spring assembly which is mounted under the steering wheel. The assembly carries all the electrical signals from the steering wheel controls. I don't remember whether or not that includes the windshield wiper, altho the way that you describe your problem, it may.

Thanks for posting, it's been several days now since the last rain and it's still acting up, though not as much. When you said the motor's electrical connector, is that underneath the plastic and rubber piece in the engine bay, where the wipers physically connect?

What's involved in replacing the cruise control button, is that a couple of screws from behind to release the plastic cover on top?

It's the electrical connector on the windshield wiper motor which is underneath the plastic cover over the wiper area.

The cruise control button can be pried out from the top, it is simply pushed in place.

Remove this ad
    You know it's funny but the wipers haven't acted up on a few days. Maybe it was water and it finally dried out. Thanks for the tip.

Thread Information