Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

buick forums  
The Premier Community for Buick Owners and Enthusiasts

Join us! It's free!

buick forums

Past Lineup: Lucerne | Roadmaster | Regal (Old) | LeSabre | Century | Park Avenue | Riviera | Reatta | Grand National
Current Lineup: Cascada | Verano | LaCrosse | Regal | Enclave | Envision | Encore
Buick Forum: won't idle when cold

won't idle when cold

When I start my car it will surge and slowly die. When it warms up there is no problem at all. Already changed the iac

HotZ28 is offline Full Member My Buick(s): 1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU

Re: won't idle when cold

It would be a good idea to mention the year, body & engine of your car. Is your car a GN, or GNX?

1996 PA Ultra Series II - 3.4 pulley (11.5 psi boost), Autolite 104's, MSD coils & wires, 160 deg. T-stat. Flashed '97 PCM, Lucerne 17" Chrome Wheels
    Cold air is OK.....Turbo Charging is better....but, I'd rather be Blown!!

Sorry its an 87 GN all stock except air cleaner and exhaust

HotZ28 is offline Full Member My Buick(s): 1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU

Do you have a scanner that you can check the Engine Coolant Temp (ECT) when cold and before starting the engine? The ECT sensor may be sending the wrong info to the ECM to enrich the fuel injectors when cold. When cold, the ECT temp should be reading about ambient temp. This process works like a choke on a carb engine.

92sub is offline Full Member My Buick(s): 87GN (gone), 2011 CXS (gone), 98 Regal GS

Remove this ad
    How long have you owned the car and how many miles are on it?
    The 87's had a stalling problem from the factory (mine used to stall cold all the time).
    I installed a performance PROM (factory Thermostat, minimum HP gain) that eliminated the stall and overall just ran a lot better.

Thread Information