Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

buick forums  
The Premier Community for Buick Owners and Enthusiasts

Join us! It's free!

buick forums

Past Lineup: Lucerne | Roadmaster | Regal (Old) | LeSabre | Century | Park Avenue | Riviera | Reatta | Grand National
Current Lineup: Cascada | Verano | LaCrosse | Regal | Enclave | Envision | Encore
Buick Forum: GNX memory from years ago

GNX memory from years ago

I remember seeing one at Terry Buick in Jacksonville in the summer of 1987 on the showroom floor with a nice $20,000 addendum sticker on the glass. That car made such an impression; I never did get a chance to drive one since that time, though I did get to take a spin in lesser GN's and T's over the years. One of the many forced fed monsters from GM I missed, including the 20AE TA, Syclone and Typhoon.

I've seen one or two for sale over the years, but never within reach, and only getting more expensive. Hard to believe a doctor's car was the fastest production car in 87, and now it's worth a mint.

Re: GNX memory from years ago

I hear ya. I miss all the vehicles you mentioned - but especially the Grand National. It was such a unique vehicle. I'd also love to own one some day - but I'm not holding my breath.
    Have an iPhone or Android? Then you can be connected with everything automotive in your area.
    Download the Cars Connected app for your iPhone or Android device today!

Buick: The New Class of World Class - Luxury As It Should Be...

Please help us keep BuickForums.com online. Become a Site Supporter today. You'll get more than a "thank you" in return.

Get your next Buick for the lowest price possible! Go to TrueCar.com first!

The GNX left an impression on a lot of people back in the day. People that didn't even like Buicks were scooping them up and putting them away due to their "instant collectiblity" status.

I had my '86 GN at the time and a good friend came over to visit me with GNX #007. He worked for Popular Mechanics at the time and the car was used in the NY Press Pool for area road test reviews.

My first impression was wow, look at the big tires on that car (16" was big at the time). We had taken turns driving both cars for comparison sake and the GNX was a whole different beast. Granted my GN was no slouch but the GNX would have its lunch. The coolest part was when you power braked the car to bring in the boost the rear of the car would rise 2 or 3 inches and firmly plant the tires and leave.

Good times!

Chuck P.

2014 Regal GS

BDT, DCP #1 w/ Sunroof, 20's, 6AT

(The '14 that I purchased in '15 looks like the '17!) It's a win-win-win!

Previous Buicks:
    77 Regal
    86 GN w/T-tops

94 LeSabre Custom

00 Regal GS
    08 LaCrosse Super
    (1 of 498 in red)
    now '14 Regal GS

Oh yes... The GNX one just sold at auction for 165K so the prices are rising. Although you can still buy a nice example for 45K-60K.

The GN's are even rising in price. A GN today the asking price of 25K was 10K just a few years ago.

David N.
    86 Grand National
    87 Grand National sons ride
    98 Regal LS
    98 Regal GS
    05 Rainier
    08 Sky Redline Wife's ride

David, nice bunch of rides you have there!

Have you ever been a member of the TurboBuick.com bulletin board? I used to post over there a few years back but haven't been there in a while.

People and attitudes change sometimes for the better, some for the worse. I guess I'm just getting old and crusty.

Remove this ad
    I wish Buick would sell another halo car like the Grand National. In my opinion, it's something the brand badly needs. I do realize that Buick is primarily a luxury car - but so is Infiniti - and they're doing pretty well with their GT-R...

Thread Information