Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

buick forums  
The Premier Community for Buick Owners and Enthusiasts

Join us! It's free!

buick forums

Past Lineup: Lucerne | Roadmaster | Regal (Old) | LeSabre | Century | Park Avenue | Riviera | Reatta | Grand National
Current Lineup: Cascada | Verano | LaCrosse | Regal | Enclave | Envision | Encore
Buick Forum: What do you think of this big Buick design?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What do you think of this big Buick design?

Buick needs an Avenir or a Park Avenue - or SOMETHING that's big, luxurious, powerful, RWD or AWD with lots of amenities, a whisper quiet ride, soft touch materials everywhere, semi-aniline leather and every technology available. The difference between a big Buick and a big Cadillac should be that performance for the Cadillac edges out the Buick - which includes acceleration as well as handling. The Cadillac should have "some" engine sound that enters the cabin. You know what I mean - the "good" sound that drivers of high performance vehicles want to hear. The Buick should be absolutely silent all of the time. The Cadillac would ride a bit harsher but the Buick would be as comfortable as could be - and as a result - buyers should expect steering that feels a bit numb...

In other words, the Buick and Cadillac would have completely different "characters" - but offer a similar experience technology-wise. They could both use the same drivetrain but the Buick would have more sound deadening materials, bigger, heavier, more comfortable seats, perhaps plusher rugs along with all the rest of the QuietTuning features. This would allow the Cadillac to be the faster car beyond having the better suspension. Buick could also lack some of the expensive lightweight materials used in a Cadillac to keep the price down...

Thoughts? Opinions? Constructive criticism? All welcome...

Have an iPhone or Android? Then you can be connected with everything automotive in your area.
    Download the Cars Connected app for your iPhone or Android device today!

Buick: The New Class of World Class - Luxury As It Should Be...

Please help us keep BuickForums.com online. Become a Site Supporter today. You'll get more than a "thank you" in return.

Get your next Buick for the lowest price possible! Go to TrueCar.com first!

Merrill Crosbie is offline Full Member My Buick(s): 1983 Buick Riviera Convertible and 2014 Buick LaCrosse Premium II

Re: What do you think of this big Buick design?

Is this a photo of a concept car? It is not as beautiful as the Avenir (or even a current LaCrosse) from this angle, but I would like to see more photos of it.

Your arguments make sense, but GM has never seemed to align itself to such a strategy. I remember in 1991 the most expensive car GM built was a ZR-1 Corvette when the most expensive car should have been the flagship Cadillac. And, the quickest performance car should have been that same ZR-1 Corvette, but instead it was the GMC Syclone pickup truck. Schizophrenic? Yup. GM has never been able to clearly define the various models it produces. Which brings me to the argument you presented. Buick is not as sporty as Cadillac? What about the Regal GS...turbo power, AWD, 20" wheels, Consumer Reports Best Sports Sedan? If GM had clear definition between the divisions, the Regal GS wouldn't exist. It is certainly drawing sales from the ATS. Buick definitely knows how to build a performance car. Remember the GN and GNX? Cadillac never had anything to compare. The best engineering of that era was Buick.

The current LaCrosse with hyperstruts does both the quiet ride and sport handling better than the XTS. The only reason I could find to pay the XTS premium was to get a bigger trunk (which I could also get by stepping down to an Impala) or more real wood trim options. And, there is that turbo V6. But I certainly am not getting a more premium feel in the XTS.

To be honest, I have not explored the CTS to see how it compares. All appearances are that it would be more sporty but how does it ride? How much room does it offer? The CT6 will certainly be a step up for Cadillac, but it still is not an S-Class killer. It is not big enough to do that. Cadillac needs to shoot for cars of that luxury stature to clearly delineate it from Buick. Not more quiet or more sporty than Buick, but clearly a stratospheric leap in every dimension. The problem with this has been that Cadillac tries to be bleeding edge technology to Buick's mature and proven methodology. 4-6-8 engines? Buick stuck with a V6. You don't see any Caddy's that were built with that engine anymore, but Buicks with the 4.1 or 3.8 V6 are still on the road and rock solid. Infotainment with hand waiving and haptic feedback? Buick Intellilink stuck with proven touch screen and buttons...although it still sucks. Just less sucky than Cadillacs gee-whiz tech. Cadillac with transverse mounted V8s in the late 80s and Northstar V8s of the 90s were nightmares. But, V6 Lesabres, Park Avenues, Rivieras and Centurys from that same era are still on the road in big numbers. Those Cadillac attempts of technological superiority just served to give it a black eye.

Buick beat Cadillac with the return of the convertible with the 82 Riviera, taking Cadillac 2 years longer to produce the Eldorado convertible, and now here comes Cascada. Where is the open air Cadillac? Mercedes, BMW and Lexus all make one. Buick is just beating Cadillac bloody.

Yes, Buick needs a flagship with more cache than LaCrosse, and I guess since the perception is that RWD/AWD is needed for true 'luxury' and FWD/AWD can only be considered 'premium' there is a business case to build it that way. But, it is all semantics. AWD is AWD whether it is based on a FWD or RWD platform and Buick's flagship should be AWD only. There is no longer a significant fuel mileage penalty to AWD. And, Buick should not attempt a V8. Yes, they made some great V8's in the 60s. But, they clearly went after V6 performance engineering in the 70s and subsequent. Jaguar XJ6 and BMW have proven that beautiful luxury cars only need 6 cylinders. Let Cadillac have the V8 or V12. I personally believe these engines are dinosaurs, but it appears that some people think they need them.

Original owner - 1983 Buick Riviera Convertible, White/White Top, Burgundy Interior, 4.1L V6
    Original owner - 2014 Buick LaCrosse Premium II, Crystal Red, Neutral/Cocoa Interior, 3.6L V6

ZoomZoom Diva is offline Full Member My Buick(s): 2015 Buick Regal GS "Bruce"

I disagree on the concept that a Buick should as equipped as a Cadillac, and lose out on performance. Instead, there should be a significant progression where a Chevrolet is mainstream, the Buick is entry luxury, and the Cadillac is mid-to-premium luxury. However, each should be able to have models designed for comfort, others for performance.

In regards to the model pictured - I believe it's only artwork. So, no - it's not a concept...

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom Diva View Post
    I disagree on the concept that a Buick should as equipped as a Cadillac, and lose out on performance. Instead, there should be a significant progression where a Chevrolet is mainstream, the Buick is entry luxury, and the Cadillac is mid-to-premium luxury. However, each should be able to have models designed for comfort, others for performance.
    Chevy should be pretty bottom of the barrel according to luxurious and comfort. Scion level, for example. Buick should be a step up from that. Think Toyota Avalon. If you don't like the sounds of that, go sit in a brand new Avalon. Cadillac should be at the top - Lexus or Mercedes, for example.

Chevy gets fabric and vinyl seats. Buick gets leather. Cadillac gets premium leather.

As far as performance goes, Chevy gets the least, Buick gets a nice mix of power and handling, Cadillac gets the best of everything.

This goes for features as well. That's the way I see it, anyway.

Now that being said - I'd like to see a high performance Buick. VERY high performance. However, I don't expect it to top Cadillac's car of the same class...

ARCStig is offline Full Member My Buick(s): 1993 Buick Roadmaster Limited Sedan, 1997 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
    Bedford, Virginia, United States of America

I think that Buick should be a bit more of the way it was, a nice soft suspension, biblically comfortable pillow seats, a nice list of gadgets to choose from, awesome styling, and smooth refined power, bulletproof reliability, and the super quiet Buick ride. All of these things I get out of my '93 Roadmaster Limited. I don't get all of these so much in a newer Buick. Even if I bought a new one, It would never be able to fill the shoes that my Roadmaster has.

Quote Originally Posted by ARCStig View Post
    I think that Buick should be a bit more of the way it was, a nice soft suspension, biblically comfortable pillow seats, a nice list of gadgets to choose from, awesome styling, and smooth refined power, bulletproof reliability, and the super quiet Buick ride. All of these things I get out of my '93 Roadmaster Limited. I don't get all of these so much in a newer Buick. Even if I bought a new one, It would never be able to fill the shoes that my Roadmaster has.
    I also like the idea of more traditional Buicks... But your 93 Roadmaster is quieter than the new Buicks?

I agree. Quiet, with more room, and more trunk space. Bench seat option in the front, and less contour in the seats.

RegalDesire is offline Full Member My Buick(s): 2015 Buick Regal GS

Crushed velour, formal padded roofs, opera lamps, flat bench seats, and column shifters have gone the way of the DODO bird. The mass market doesn't want that stuff anymore! And I, most ASSUREDLY, do NOT! Even IF Avenir (or some variant) was produced it would have NONE of those features.

Time to let that stuff go...
    Get yerself one-a them there Regal GS new-fangled, dang-doodle sport sedans!
    Last edited by RegalDesire; April 7th, 2016 at 12:34 PM.
    2013 Buick Regal GS - Quicksilver Metallic/19s/Nav/Sunroof...Window Tint
    BEHOLD...The Silver Bullet!

2015 Buick Regal GS - Black Diamond Tricoat/19s/Nav/Sunroof/DCon1

I miss high quality crushed velour!

RegalDesire is offline Full Member My Buick(s): 2015 Buick Regal GS

Remove this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Collaziano View Post
    I miss high quality crushed velour!
    In Bordello Red no less??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information