Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

buick forums  
The Premier Community for Buick Owners and Enthusiasts

Join us! It's free!

buick forums

Past Lineup: Lucerne | Roadmaster | Regal (Old) | LeSabre | Century | Park Avenue | Riviera | Reatta | Grand National
Current Lineup: Cascada | Verano | LaCrosse | Regal | Enclave | Envision | Encore
Buick Forum: Buick's China-made crossover set for summer U.S. launch

Buick's China-made crossover set for summer U.S. launch

DETROIT — General Motors has greenlighted a summer 2016 U.S. launch for the Buick Envision compact crossover, which should provide a much-needed lift for the brand’s lineup by taking aim at one of the industry’s largest segments.

Buick chief Duncan Aldred on Thursday informed members of the Buick National Dealer Council of the move and was scheduled to announce it to the rest of the brand’s U.S. retailers today.

Dealers have been clamoring for GM to bring the Envision stateside since even before the vehicle’s August 2014 launch in China. GM will import the vehicle from China, which Automotive News reported in August as a likely outcome once the automaker had inked a new four-year labor contract with the UAW.

Aldred confirmed the decision in an interview today.

“Talk about a catalyst for the Buick brand and for volume growth,” Aldred said. “We’re putting in what I believe is a class-leading vehicle in the heart of the U.S. auto industry. This is massive for Buick.”

Aldred said Buick benchmarked the Audi Q5 during the development of the Envision, which was designed and engineered primarily at GM’s main technical center near Detroit.

“Dynamically, from a ride-and-handling standpoint, it’s very comparable to the Q5. I’d say better,” Aldred said. Read more...
    Have an iPhone or Android? Then you can be connected with everything automotive in your area.
    Download the Cars Connected app for your iPhone or Android device today!

Buick: The New Class of World Class - Luxury As It Should Be...

Please help us keep BuickForums.com online. Become a Site Supporter today. You'll get more than a "thank you" in return.

Get your next Buick for the lowest price possible! Go to TrueCar.com first!

hitman1970 is offline Full Member My Buick(s): 2012 Regal Turbo Premium I Group

Re: Buick's China-made crossover set for summer U.S. launch

Was wondering what the thought is on this product? I am sure it will be as good as any other GM CUV but it has already earned the derisive nickname of Buick Invasion based on its assembly location, China. I also think it could be a volume seller for the brand considering its sweet spot size and configuration for today's market.
    Current Car:
    2012 Buick Regal Turbo Premium I Group (Crystal Red/Cashmere/Sunroof)

Previous Cars:
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT (Sport Red Metallic, Premium Package, parking sensors)

2006 Buick LaCrosse CXS (Onyx Black/Gray/Harman Kardon/Parking Sensors/Sunroof)

stoopid is offline Full Member My Buick(s): 2015 Regal 2.0T

My Regal is made in Germany. I didn't buy it because it was an "American made" car. Buick may still have a presence in the USA and a mailing address, but it's not "American" any more than Hyundai or any other partly US-based maker. Globalization is here to stay. I think reality is finally sinking in with (purist) buyers.

As for this vehicle, it looks solid on paper. Only time will tell if it ends up being riddled with issues or as reliable as other recent Buick models. If history is any guide, it should be a success for GM.

hitman1970 is offline Full Member My Buick(s): 2012 Regal Turbo Premium I Group

I thought all Regals after 2011 were built in Oshawa like mine.

stoopid is offline Full Member My Buick(s): 2015 Regal 2.0T

Quote Originally Posted by hitman1970 View Post
    I thought all Regals after 2011 were built in Oshawa like mine.
    They are, yes. I was thinking the parent 'Opel' design/parts from Germany. Still non-America (or is it "un-American"? ).

Actually, who the hell knows where the parts come from. For all we know all part trails lead back to China. Which basically means they're already largely Chinese cars, assembled elsewhere. Maybe someone in the biz knows for sure (I imagine some parts are closer to home than that, due to shipping costs?).

ZoomZoom Diva is offline Full Member My Buick(s): 2015 Buick Regal GS "Bruce"

Personally, we don't have a track record for Chinese assembled/made automobiles, and history tends to show that cars first coming to the United States tend to not be built to the standards we are accustomed.

I would wait at least a few years to see how these vehicles pan out before considering one or recommending one to others. I also think the vehicle is missing where it needs to be on styling, more along the lines of an upscale Nissan Murano or Ford Edge.

I am having screen problems that my dealer is unable to help with, I hope someone on this forum can help.
    I am having second thoughts about this Chinese Made Vehicle

William Tokarsky

Remove this ad
    Dealer has to access TSB 16-NA-357. Its application will fix the problem.

Thread Information