Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

buick forums  
The Premier Community for Buick Owners and Enthusiasts

Join us! It's free!

buick forums

Past Lineup: Lucerne | Roadmaster | Regal (Old) | LeSabre | Century | Park Avenue | Riviera | Reatta | Grand National
Current Lineup: Cascada | Verano | LaCrosse | Regal | Enclave | Envision | Encore
Buick Forum: 2012 Regal GS Manual Shifting Resistance
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: 2012 Regal GS Manual Shifting Resistance

I agree with you, and have been doing exactly that...changing back to 'full strength" for the summer months!

dbruce is offline Full Member My Buick(s): 2012 Buick Regal GS

Mine seems to be in the shifter, not tranny. Checking all-data, uses a piston type setup with shafts attached to the shifter itself. Sometime there is some resistance and kind of squeak type noise, sometimes not. Not the end of the world so will see what happens.

I have experienced the same resistance, but like others it was usually first thing on a very cold morning. I found that when this was happening, I would sit with the clutch in and just rapidly shift 1st to 2nd and back to 1st a few times and it would seem to get rid of that resistance. Since it only happened when cold and would go away by working it back and forth a bit, I chalked it up to either something being frozen or cold, like bushings shrinking, fluid being more viscous, something like that.

The only consistent resistance I feel is the 1st gear detent, where it won't let you shift into 1st above certain speeds. I find this annoying - I know it's there as a protection against accidentally shifting into 1st at high speed, but when I'm rolling slowly up to a stop light in traffic, sometimes I have to slow down more than I'd like to get into 1st, or just chug in 2nd.

Quote Originally Posted by Walt G View Post
    The synchromesh stuff is quite a bit thinner than what our transmissions come with, so it's not too surprising that cold performance was better, but I'd be a little bit worried about protection under high load once everything is hot.

I'm running the Amsoil gear lube (direct replacement for the BOT stuff), and I didn't get any cold transmission improvement. But I bet the Amsoil 'synchromesh' stuff would offer the same improvement you got with the Pennzoil synchromesh fluid.

The 100 degree C viscosity of the Amsoil 'gear lube' is 13.9 cSt, while the synchromesh is 9.7 cSt... that's the part that worries me a little. I have no idea if that difference will ruin the trans, but it sure seems that if a lighter weight fluid improved cold performance without some other trade-off, that's what they would have called for.

But you are making me think that perhaps I'll switch to a synchromesh fluid for the winter, and then go back to the gear lube for the summer. I track my car in the summer, so I'm replacing fluid yearly anyways just to be safe, but I also want the thickest hot-fluid I can get for track days. Might be worth the $30 or so every winter if it helps cold performance. It's really easy to drain and fill on these cars.
    Is the Amsoil gear lube you're using the 75W90 Long Life Synthetic, 80W90 Synthetic, or 75W90 Severe Gear? Or is it the Manual Transmission & Transaxle Gear Lube 75W90? Just looking at their products and wondering if there's much difference between any of them?

Walt G is offline Full Member My Buick(s): '12 Regal GS

The Amsoil stuff I'm using is called "Manual Transmission and Transaxle Gear Lube, 75W-90".

Seemed the closest to the BOT stuff the car came with, and it works pretty much the same. I use it at this point just because I can get it easier than the BOT, and I change mine yearly since I track the car and put in the LSD.
    '12 GS, Quicksilver, 6MT, Nav, Sunroof, 19's, Trifecta tune, backup camera mod., LED DRLs in bumper vents, Wavetrac LSD, Sachs Performance Clutch upgrade, Werks shorty downpipe.

Remove this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt G View Post
    The Amsoil stuff I'm using is called "Manual Transmission and Transaxle Gear Lube, 75W-90".

Seemed the closest to the BOT stuff the car came with, and it works pretty much the same. I use it at this point just because I can get it easier than the BOT, and I change mine yearly since I track the car and put in the LSD.
    Perfect, thanks for the feedback!

I was having a hard time finding the appropriate Amsoil product because when you go by their "fluid recommendations" chart for the Regal they say "No Amsoil Product Recommended (or something like that)" under MTF.

Other products I found replacement info on included Red Line's MT-85 75W85 GL-4 Gear Oil, which they have a replacement chart specifically listing Castrol BOT 402 and GM 88862472/3.

Royal Purple also has their own "recommended lubricant" chart that says to use their 5W-30 motor oil in place of 88862472/3 BOT 402 - does this seem right to anyone? That would be much easier for me to source locally, but I'm much more inclined to order in some of the Amsoil or Red Line MTF/gear oil to get the right viscosity.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information