Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

buick forums  
The Premier Community for Buick Owners and Enthusiasts

Join us! It's free!

buick forums

Past Lineup: Lucerne | Roadmaster | Regal (Old) | LeSabre | Century | Park Avenue | Riviera | Reatta | Grand National
Current Lineup: Cascada | Verano | LaCrosse | Regal | Enclave | Envision | Encore
Buick Forum: About that Buick Avista...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

About that Buick Avista...

EDIT: ACTUALLY... <--

So, you've probably heard the news by now that the Buick Avista will never be developed. GM has a long history of tantalizing us with beautifully designed automobiles that it'll never make. A few of the most recent examples are the Cadillac Sixteen, the Cadillac Elmiraj, the Cadillac Ciel, the Buick Avenir and now the Buick Avista. Buick says the public's reaction wasn't enthusiastic enough and "It was purely a concept and meant to generate some buzz"...

That's a real shame because The Avista is the kind of car that people dream of owning some day. A highly aspirational type of vehicle. Perhaps designs like these are a gift template for other manufacturers to learn from and build themselves. What are your thoughts on beautiful concepts like these that Buick and GM have no intention of building?

Have an iPhone or Android? Then you can be connected with everything automotive in your area.
    Download the Cars Connected app for your iPhone or Android device today!

Buick: The New Class of World Class - Luxury As It Should Be...

Please help us keep BuickForums.com online. Become a Site Supporter today. You'll get more than a "thank you" in return.

Get your next Buick for the lowest price possible! Go to TrueCar.com first!

Re: About that Buick Avista...

GM is full of crap when they say there wasn't enough interest shown by the public. I really hate GM and Buick. If GM wants to make money they should have made the Avista. Let Cadillac and Chevy whine. If they don't want to lose sales for the Camaro and CTS then the designers should make those cars look as good as the Avista.

Quote Originally Posted by ITguy54 View Post
    GM is full of crap when they say there wasn't enough interest shown by the public. I really hate GM and Buick. If GM wants to make money they should have made the Avista. Let Cadillac and Chevy whine. If they don't want to lose sales for the Camaro and CTS then the designers should make those cars look as good as the Avista.
    I hear ya. And ya know what? ...Buick hasn't completely shut down the idea of bringing the Avista to market... There may be hope because they're still talking about it. Let's see what happens...

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Collaziano View Post
    I hear ya. And ya know what? ...Buick hasn't completely shut down the idea of bringing the Avista to market... There may be hope because they're still talking about it. Let's see what happens...
    Yeah, they showed a red Avista at the NY show. What's up with that? Are they TRYING to annoy people? Some people think it's up to China as to whether the Avista will make it to production.

Quote Originally Posted by ITguy54 View Post
    Yeah, they showed a red Avista at the NY show. What's up with that? Are they TRYING to annoy people? Some people think it's up to China as to whether the Avista will make it to production.
    Yeah, I'm hearing that about China. The market for Buick is really good there so I imagine they will now play a part on decisions like this...

Reminds me of a line from Dumb and Dumber: "So you're saying there's a chance..."

"But Buick hasn't given up on China yet. Buick is bringing the Avista to the Beijing Auto Show at the end of the month. China may not be high on coupes, but Buick is interested in seeing if that attitude changes when consumers see the car in person."

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...t-build-avista

RegalDesire is offline Full Member My Buick(s): 2015 Buick Regal GS

I say...

PHOOEY on Buick...

No longer interested! 2015 Regal GS will be my last Buick! I admire the interior style I've seen in pics of the NG Verano...but the outside is BUTT-UGLY!
    2013 Buick Regal GS - Quicksilver Metallic/19s/Nav/Sunroof...Window Tint
    BEHOLD...The Silver Bullet!

2015 Buick Regal GS - Black Diamond Tricoat/19s/Nav/Sunroof/DCon1

Monti182 is offline Full Member My Buick(s): 2013 Buick Regal GS, WDT, Sunroof, Nav

Nuts to China, So what if there's a huge market for Buicks there? WE want the Avista HERE. Produce it on the same line as the Camaro and only sell it in the United States. Globalization is good for business, but sometimes you need localized models to satisfy specific markets. Is Buick and American Brand? or a Chinese one, because lately its been hard to tell.

Philthy is offline Full Member My Buick(s): Buick Roadmaster

It's a beautiful car. I think it looks better than anything else GM makes. Unless you look at the badges, it could be mistaken for something new from Aston Martin, Jaguar or some other exotic car company. This is a car I'd buy if I wanted to reward myself after getting a promotion at work.

I would love for Buick to bring this to market as a "semi-halo" car. In other words, don't worry about selling 10,000 of these a year. Although Buick hasn't said so, it's likely built using the 6th generation Camaro/Caddy ATS/CTS platform, which is a good thing. If they built it in limited numbers, they could get away with assembling the bulk of it on an existing assembly line, then do the final specific work elsewhere. Yes, it would add some cost, but I for one think it would be worth it.

Sadly, this is GM. They'll throw some styling cues on another boring crossover and pat themselves on the back. GM isn't known for taking risks. They are also worried about losing sales at Cadillac and Chevy if Buick had an awesome car like this. VW Group, despite their costly misstep with diesel emissions, doesn't seem to be too concerned that Audi R8 sales are going to eat into Lamborghini sales, even though the cars share the same platform and are aimed at the same demographic. They also don't seem to be too worried about losing Porsche sales, either, now that they own Porsche. I for one, don't think that anyone considering a Camaro (which I also love) is going to be lured away by an Avista. Nor is the potential Avista owner going to be satisfied with a Camaro, or even an ATS or CTS.

Remove this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by Philthy View Post
    It's a beautiful car. I think it looks better than anything else GM makes. Unless you look at the badges, it could be mistaken for something new from Aston Martin, Jaguar or some other exotic car company. This is a car I'd buy if I wanted to reward myself after getting a promotion at work.
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Philthy
    I would love for Buick to bring this to market as a "semi-halo" car. In other words, don't worry about selling 10,000 of these a year. Although Buick hasn't said so, it's likely built using the 6th generation Camaro/Caddy ATS/CTS platform, which is a good thing. If they built it in limited numbers, they could get away with assembling the bulk of it on an existing assembly line, then do the final specific work elsewhere. Yes, it would add some cost, but I for one think it would be worth it.
    This would be a halo car - not only for Buick but for GM as a whole. They managed to have the Cadillac Allante and Buick Reatta at the same time so I don't see why they couldn't work this out...

Quote Originally Posted by Philthy
    Sadly, this is GM. They'll throw some styling cues on another boring crossover and pat themselves on the back. GM isn't known for taking risks. They are also worried about losing sales at Cadillac and Chevy if Buick had an awesome car like this. VW Group, despite their costly misstep with diesel emissions, doesn't seem to be too concerned that Audi R8 sales are going to eat into Lamborghini sales, even though the cars share the same platform and are aimed at the same demographic. They also don't seem to be too worried about losing Porsche sales, either, now that they own Porsche. I for one, don't think that anyone considering a Camaro (which I also love) is going to be lured away by an Avista. Nor is the potential Avista owner going to be satisfied with a Camaro, or even an ATS or CTS.
    I think you're 100% correct. GM will take a few styling cues and design them into other models - but that's it - and NOT ENOUGH either. The new LaCrosse looks nothing like the Avenir.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information