Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

buick forums  
The Premier Community for Buick Owners and Enthusiasts

Join us! It's free!

buick forums

Past Lineup: Lucerne | Roadmaster | Regal (Old) | LeSabre | Century | Park Avenue | Riviera | Reatta | Grand National
Current Lineup: Cascada | Verano | LaCrosse | Regal | Enclave | Envision | Encore
Buick Forum: Man Finds His Grandpa's Buick After 20 Years

Man Finds His Grandpa's Buick After 20 Years

My grandpa who recently passed away owned a 1974 Buick GS. He had it restored in the early 80's and owned it until 1995 when it was traded in. When he passed away, I made it a mission to find the car. Originally published at TorqueNews.com at Family Buick Gran Sport GS Found After 20 Years.

I can't believe how many times I hear people say "I wish I knew what happened to my old car." If you've ever tried to find an old car, you know it can be a challenge.

Back in the early 1980's, my Grandpa purchased a 1974 Buick Century Gran Sport (GS) from the dealership he worked at, which was Van Atta Buick in Vestal, NY. The '74 had a 455 cubic inch V8, backed by a 3 speed automatic transmission. From the stories I've heard, the car was a road rocket.
    When Grandpa bought the car, it needed a paint job. Grandpa soon had the car repainted "candy apple red" with a cream colored vinyl top. The interior had white seats, tan carpets and a tan dashboard.

Grandpa owned the car until December of 1995, when he traded the car in for a brand new Buick Regal GS for my Grandma. Ever since that day, Grandpa missed the car and always wondered what happened to it.

He passed away in 2012, and he never knew what actually happened to the car. In the 17 years after he traded it in, anything could have happened to the '74. For all we knew, the car could have been in a junkyard, or someone's garage. I set out on a mission to track down the car and see what actually happened.

Currently, the car is listed for sale through Gateway Classic Cars in Houston. If I had the money, I would love to buy the car and own a piece of family history.

By TorqueNews Buick
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information