Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

buick forums  
The Premier Community for Buick Owners and Enthusiasts

Join us! It's free!

buick forums

Past Lineup: Lucerne | Roadmaster | Regal (Old) | LeSabre | Century | Park Avenue | Riviera | Reatta | Grand National
Current Lineup: Cascada | Verano | LaCrosse | Regal | Enclave | Envision | Encore
Buick Forum: Stop/Start ability to turn feature off
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Stop/Start ability to turn feature off

I am very close to purchasing a 2016 Buick Envision Premium I. I have test drove other competitor vehicles that had the Start/Stop Engine technology but they had a button that I could press after starting the vehicle to turn that feature off. I can't locate a button like that in the Envision I am testing and can't find it in Internet Searches. Is this feature on all of the time and not able to be shut off in the Envision???

Re: Stop/Start ability to turn feature off

I hear the Envision little brother the Encore has a button to disable start/stop so the Envision must have one to ?
    2017 Encore on short list

Quote Originally Posted by Bojanglespa View Post
    I am very close to purchasing a 2016 Buick Envision Premium I. I have test drove other competitor vehicles that had the Start/Stop Engine technology but they had a button that I could press after starting the vehicle to turn that feature off. I can't locate a button like that in the Envision I am testing and can't find it in Internet Searches. Is this feature on all of the time and not able to be shut off in the Envision???
    We have owned our new Envision for about 4 weeks now and I have not searched for a way to deactivate the Auto Stop. So far it has not been annoying and is fairly unobtrusive; nothing like the terrible shaking of a 3 Series 4 cylinder BMW I test drove a few years ago. I did read in a few preliminary road tests by those who did an early review that you cannot defeat it. Would like to see a full tests by a real car magazine though.

I have an Envision Premium II purchased 8/16/16. With the Texas heat, the Start/Stop does not activate all that often, since it protects the A/C operation needed to maintain cabin temperature that is set. There is no "button" to defeat it. However, it can be easily defeated if it activated while stopped by shifting the gear shift to "L" from "D" and then back to "D"...all while stopped. That keeps the Start/Stop from coming back on. Or by leaving it in "L" while stopped and shifting while underway. The system operates very well, with just a slight feel when it activates, like the A/C compressor feel in the "old" days. In this car there is no A/C compressor shudder. FYI, just completed a 2,150 mile road trip from Texas to Colorado and back, and it averaged 25.8 MPG driving 70-75 MPH Interstate speeds via OK and KS, plus the miles in the Rockies around Estes Park. Even at 12,000 feet, the 2.0 engine was excellent!. I uses 87 octane and no need for more. Not an issue with this car. The Adaptive Cruise Control is absolutely excellent!

Quote Originally Posted by TxTom View Post
    I have an Envision Premium II purchased 8/16/16. With the Texas heat, the Start/Stop does not activate all that often, since it protects the A/C operation needed to maintain cabin temperature that is set. There is no "button" to defeat it. However, it can be easily defeated if it activated while stopped by shifting the gear shift to "L" from "D" and then back to "D"...all while stopped. That keeps the Start/Stop from coming back on. Or by leaving it in "L" while stopped and shifting while underway. The system operates very well, with just a slight feel when it activates, like the A/C compressor feel in the "old" days. In this car there is no A/C compressor shudder. FYI, just completed a 2,150 mile road trip from Texas to Colorado and back, and it averaged 25.8 MPG driving 70-75 MPH Interstate speeds via OK and KS, plus the miles in the Rockies around Estes Park. Even at 12,000 feet, the 2.0 engine was excellent!. I uses 87 octane and no need for more. Not an issue with this car. The Adaptive Cruise Control is absolutely excellent!
    Your mileage is very encouraging since this was just one reason we wanted the Envision. Both of our previous Enclaves would only get 22.5 MPG driving between 72 and 75 MPH across Alligator Alley down here in Florida on cool January days. For those who have not driven this stretch of I-75 between Naples and Ft Lauderdale it is dead flat and perfectly straight. As a point of reference both these cars constantly read 16.3 MPG in mixed city/some expressway type driving; too soon to tell what the Envision will do yet.

also curious as to what fuel grade owners are using ....is premium required or just recommended...

Dealer confirmed there is no button to shot off the start/stop feature.

I misspoke, there is NO disable button on the Encore (that I know of) must be a Buick / GM thing ?

For over 3,000 miles (all types of driving situations) I've used only 87 octane in my Premium II 2.0 engine and see no performance (acceleration or gas mileage) reason to use anything higher. I would say premium (89-93) is absolutely not required.

RBreeze is offline Buick Newbie My Buick(s): 2016 Buick Envision Premium II

Quote Originally Posted by TxTom View Post
    I've owned my '16 Envision Premium II for a little over 1 month now, and given the cooler (fall) temperatures up here now I am finding that auto engine Stop/Start activates VERY regularly, especially so in stop & go traffic. The moment the vehicle comes to a full stop the engine shuts down. At first I found the Stop/Start routine to be really aggravating, with my never having Auto Stop/Start in a vehicle before. I suppose now I'm getting used to it more.. although given the choice I would definitely disable the routine. For sure I don't appreciate Auto Stop happening in my own garage, while I'm trying to park the Envision in my preferred spot.

As TxTom mentioned.. moving the shifter to from "D" to "L" will prevent an imminent Auto Stop occurrence, but you must remember to carry this out before the vehicle comes to a full stop. And once you start moving again you have to remember to move the shifter out of "L" to "D" [OR shift manually]... otherwise the transmission will not auto-shift out of "1" up to a higher gear, and you'll over-rev the engine if you're not paying attention.
    Also.. note that moving the shifter from "D" to "L" requires you to depress the shifter release button. I personally prefer moving the shifter from "D" to "N" to prevent an Auto Stop occurrence, which requires only a nudge of the shifter forward - there's no requirement to press the shifter release button to move the shifter "D" to "N" (or, of course, back to "D" again).
    Bottom line.. while the vehicle is still rolling and coming to a full stop, moving the shifter from "D" to "N" and then back to "D" again will negate/cancel the upcoming Auto Stop occurrence. I'm getting in the habit of doing this now while negotiating stop & go city traffic.

/rb
    Last edited by RBreeze; October 16th, 2016 at 11:58 AM.

Remove this ad
    My 2014 Encore doesn't start/stop. Maybe the later model years do. If so I don't want one. I thought I wanted a chinese Envision, but if I can't turn off the start/stop business I won't buy one of those either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information