Registered members do not see this advertisement! Remove it by signing up for free.
buick forums  
The Premier Community for Buick Owners and Enthusiasts

Join us! It's free!

buick forums

Past Lineup: Lucerne | Roadmaster | Regal (Old) | LeSabre | Century | Park Avenue | Riviera | Reatta | Grand National
Current Lineup: Cascada | Verano | LaCrosse | Regal | Enclave | Envision | Encore
Buick Forum: New '13 GS owner - My Vauxhall conversion
    Everyshadeofblue is offline Buick Newbie My Buick(s): 2013 Buick Regal GS

Thumbs up New '13 GS owner - My Vauxhall conversion

Hello from San Diego!

First post on the board. Yesterday I became the owner of a '13 Regal GS with 33K. You may have seen this car recently on Ebay. It's white and rebadged as a Vauxhall. I wasn't in the market for a new car but this was fate as I am a huge fan of GM's European "inspired" cars and didn't imagine I'd run into someone who already re-badged their Regal and lived near me. This is my third re-badged Vauxhall. I absolutely love GM's orphan and oddball cars with European heritage. My last 3 cars:

- 2008 Saturn Astra XR (rebadged as a Vauxhall)
    - 2004 Saab 9-5 Aero
    - 2000 Cadillac Catera Sport (Insignia's predecessor, rebadged as a Vauxhall Omega)

I attached a picture of the Regal and the Astra that I sold (a very joyous/sad day!) and my other Saab and Catera from a decade ago. I had the Belgian built Astra for past 7+ years and it was an extremely good, if slow car.

The previous GS owner did a great job on the re-badge and even replaced the door sills, engine emblem, and key fobs. The blackout grille is growing on me. So far, so good. The car is under factory warranty and is CPO. Only issues I've noticed so far is the super common break squeal and an odd squeal from the steering column this morning when I was moving the car out of a spot. I haven't heard much about this before.

Regals are very rare to see in Southern California so the unique factor is awesome at this point. I have never seen a GS here in San Diego. I see more Astra's on the road than Regals. Look forward to contributing to this board in a helpful manner.

Jeff
    Attached Images Attached Images

Brawndo is offline Junior Member My Buick(s): 2012 Regal GS 6MT

Re: New '13 GS owner - My Vauxhall conversion

Awesome, he did post that here too:
    http://buickforums.com/forums/thread...n-CA-30K-miles

Looks excellent, I'd love to know where he got all the emblems from.

Congrats! Looking through the FS thread that was on here, you can see the car looks very well cared for and maintained, so it looks like it was a good buy.

I'm a huge fan of the OEM 20's for the GS, but those MRR 228 wheels in gunmetal suit that car perfectly. Do you know what the specs are on them as far as width and offset? From what I see they are Camaro Z28 reps, and most of the sizing they come in is Camaro sizing with the "smallest" being 20x9 ET35, which I'm guessing is what these are. I am running the OEM 20's (20x8.5 ET47) with 20mm spacers, which by my calculations would put those MRR's in that sizing at equivalent to running a 25mm spacer with the OEM 20's. You'd get a very nice aggressive look if you lowered it!

I'd ask the original owner what is on it for brake pads. You can see in his ad he's got cross-drilled and slotted rotors that aren't factory, so he's likely also using some aftermarket pad. I know even the OE ones have some squeal, but if he has something even more aggressive installed along with the slotted rotors then that is likely the cause.

As for the squeak in the steering column, I did find bulletin #PI0659E that talks about the EPS wire harness rubbing on the steering column dust boot, which can cause squeaking or squealing when turning the wheel. Picture is below, so I'd check to make sure that harness isn't resting on that dust boot.

dmr02 is online now Full Member My Buick(s): '14 Regal GS Black Diamond

Welcome aboard brother, sick GS, I envy you guys with WDT paint...that front end is nasty!!
    2014 Regal GS FWD | Black Diamond Tri-Coat | Tint | Intake | Custom Tune | H&R Springs

Quote Originally Posted by Brawndo View Post
    Awesome, he did post that here too:
    http://buickforums.com/forums/thread...n-CA-30K-miles

Looks excellent, I'd love to know where he got all the emblems from.
    That's the one! Thanks for linking. He had a contact in the UK. They are all from a dealer. I did the same thing with my prior "Faux"halls. You have to find a dealer that will ship to you. I got some of my stuff from Marehay Vauxhall in Derbyshire.

Quote Originally Posted by Handy_Andy View Post
    Congrats! Looking through the FS thread that was on here, you can see the car looks very well cared for and maintained, so it looks like it was a good buy.

I'm a huge fan of the OEM 20's for the GS, but those MRR 228 wheels in gunmetal suit that car perfectly. Do you know what the specs are on them as far as width and offset? From what I see they are Camaro Z28 reps, and most of the sizing they come in is Camaro sizing with the "smallest" being 20x9 ET35, which I'm guessing is what these are. I am running the OEM 20's (20x8.5 ET47) with 20mm spacers, which by my calculations would put those MRR's in that sizing at equivalent to running a 25mm spacer with the OEM 20's. You'd get a very nice aggressive look if you lowered it!

I'd ask the original owner what is on it for brake pads. You can see in his ad he's got cross-drilled and slotted rotors that aren't factory, so he's likely also using some aftermarket pad. I know even the OE ones have some squeal, but if he has something even more aggressive installed along with the slotted rotors then that is likely the cause.

As for the squeak in the steering column, I did find bulletin #PI0659E that talks about the EPS wire harness rubbing on the steering column dust boot, which can cause squeaking or squealing when turning the wheel. Picture is below, so I'd check to make sure that harness isn't resting on that dust boot.
    Hi Andy!

Thank you so much for your kind words and for sharing the bulletin. I believe that the Camaro SS rims were a direct bolt on. I'll see what I can find out. Thank you for pointing out the rotors!

Jeff

Thats awesome man! Congrats! I was drooling over that car on ebay!!! I want to know how hard the rear camera install was and how it works exactly!

[QUOTE=Handy_Andy;254400]Congrats! Looking through the FS thread that was on here, you can see the car looks very well cared for and maintained, so it looks like it was a good buy.

The wheels are the 20" MRR 228 (20x9)'s as you suspected. The trick is they are all front wheels and not offset.

Jscaife is offline Full Member My Buick(s): Buick Regal GS

Remove this ad
    Love this car it used to be my background on my work PC. I need these wheels in my life!
    12 Regal GS 6MT Optional 20's General G-Max AS-03 (19" Winter wheels with snows) 35% Tints
    VIDI unit,ZZP Intake, Opel Grill and rear Emblem, Trifecta Elite Tune, Interior LED conversion.
    H&R Lowering Springs. Hornblasters Train Horns. Forge Re-circ Valve, ZZP Catless Downpipe,
    Sachs Performance Clutch Kit, Thule Rack, OPC Door Sills, Muffler Delete,
    PowerStop Drilled and Slotted Rotor Kit, Maxton Design Front Lip, Rear Window Spoiler.

Thread Information