Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

buick forums  
The Premier Community for Buick Owners and Enthusiasts

Join us! It's free!

buick forums

Past Lineup: Lucerne | Roadmaster | Regal (Old) | LeSabre | Century | Park Avenue | Riviera | Reatta | Grand National
Current Lineup: Cascada | Verano | LaCrosse | Regal | Enclave | Envision | Encore
Buick Forum: 2013 Regal vs. A Blizzard
    Clutch Cargo is offline Junior Member My Buick(s): 2013 Regal T-01, Silver, 6MT

2013 Regal vs. A Blizzard

So, having dug out from the nor'easter here in Maine, I thought I'd share some thoughts regarding this automobile during arguably the worst part of the event. I left my office at around 1530 on Tuesday when we were getting sustained winds in the 30 plus MPH (25-26 knots) range and periods of whiteout conditions.

1. As expected, the OE Michelins were absolutely terrible and given that they are 50 series, poor performance was not a surprise. I am probably going to downsize from an 18" to a 17" winter wheel so I can run a narrower, taller profile snow tire.

2. Again, I expected that the low ground clearance would make getting through the cross plowing detritus in intersections a hassle and was not disappointed.

3. The traction control in a few situations was largely useless and it was nice to have the on/off switch so handy.

4. The angle of the rear window is such that heavy snow does not flow off easily and the rear window defogger did not seem to be as effective as on the VWs I've owned. It also seems to have only a 5 minute timer and I had to keep turning it back on. Perhaps it was 10 minutes, but it seemed shorter.

5. The HVAC system was a disappointment. While the windshield cleared remarkably fast, The rear passenger window remained fogged up during the 90 minutes it took me to get home. I ran it up and down in order to be able to see. As an aside, unless I am missing something, I noticed some time ago that there is no setting to be able to have a combination of heat in the footwells and defrost. I have seen and used this setting on just about every car I've owned in the last 20 years. Given this vehicle's northern European heritage, its performance was a real letdown.

6. Lighting/visibility was generally very good, even though I don't have HID headlights.

7. ABS worked as designed, no surprises.

All in all, OK given that it is a FWD passenger car as opposed to an AWD SUV and I will repeat what I did with the VW and have a winter set of tires and wheels. As mentioned before, I am really disappointed with the HVAC and think the accountants at GM must have worked their perverted sorcery once again. I also would be curious to hear from owners of Rüsselsheim Regals regarding their experience with the HVAC system and defogger in winter conditions.
    Clutch Cargo

Maine
    2013 Regal Turbo Premium 1
    6-speed manual gearbox

stoopid is offline Full Member My Buick(s): 2015 Regal 2.0T FWD

Re: 2013 Regal vs. A Blizzard

The rear defogger is 10-15 minutes until it turns off. I know it's at least 10 minutes because it takes that long for me to get to the highway, which is about when I notice it goes off.

I turn off all traction controls/assists when climbing steeper, snow covered hills. With the nannies on, it can cause you to lose momentum if your tires slip even the slightest.

I've not had any major issues with the HVAC. I've been pleased actually that it gets warm relatively quick and once it has a few minutes with the blower running it clears the windows of any moisture.

I stayed home during the storm. 20" is a bit much to expect the Regal to plow through. lol
    Last edited by stoopid; March 19th, 2017 at 01:30 PM.

Clutch Cargo is offline Junior Member My Buick(s): 2013 Regal T-01, Silver, 6MT

As I said, I thought it was 10 minutes, and as you know, time flies when you're having fun or in this case, cleaning off a car in a blizzard, lol.

The engine does get up to temperature quickly, and was probably part of the design concept due to emissions; and as I said, I have been impressed with how quickly and how well the HVAC did with the windshield. it was that rear passenger side window that was the problem. Never had this issue with the Jetta.

I like that - nannies. I turn the DRLs off every time I drive the vehicle.

Harshman is offline Full Member My Buick(s): 17 Regal GS AWD

It's been awhile since my TO4 days, however I have no recollection of defroster issues for the three years I had it. I have used 18" winter tires on my 13 fwd GS and now my 17awd GS and have had no issues with traction. I did have to run max defrost during one storm due snow buildup on the windshield where the wipers stopped.

Walt G is offline Full Member My Buick(s): '12 Regal GS

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch Cargo View Post
    5. The HVAC system was a disappointment. While the windshield cleared remarkably fast, The rear passenger window remained fogged up during the 90 minutes it took me to get home. I ran it up and down in order to be able to see. As an aside, unless I am missing something, I noticed some time ago that there is no setting to be able to have a combination of heat in the footwells and defrost. I have seen and used this setting on just about every car I've owned in the last 20 years. Given this vehicle's northern European heritage, its performance was a real letdown.
    Fog happens when moist air hits a cold surface. So if you've got fog on the windows, you either need to warm them up (not really possible since there are no ducts pointed at the rear windows), or reduce the humidity in the car. For the later, make sure you leave anything you can that is soaking wet in the trunk instead of in the car with you, and run the HVAC fan on high speed with the A/C on. If you start to get hot, turn down the temperature but leave the fan on high. That's about all you can do.

If you want air blowing on the windshield and your feet, select those directions manually. Don't press the front defrost selection, because then you can't direct air anywhere else but the windshield. The defrost setting just aims the air the same as selecting 'upper', but increases fan speed and turns the A/C on if it's not already on. Instead, choose the 'upper' and 'feet' selections, hit the A/C button to get the air as dry as possible, and crank up the fan speed.

There are only three places this car can blow air: 'upper', which is onto the windshield, vents, and feet. There is no fourth 'defrost' location air can blow, despite the button that makes it look like there is.
    '12 GS, Quicksilver, 6MT, Nav, Sunroof, 19's, Trifecta tune, backup camera mod., LED DRLs in bumper vents, Wavetrac LSD, Sachs Performance Clutch upgrade, Werks shorty downpipe.

dbruce is offline Full Member My Buick(s): 2012 Buick Regal GS

Have a 2012 and found that the windows fogging is an issue I don't run into in my past Mazda or current one with auto climate. I've only run into the issue in above freezing temps....say 40 to 50. Windows fog and I need to hit the defroster to enable ac and clear out interior moisture and window fog. Under around 40 or so, ac is disabled on any car (temps vary), so need to use outside cooler air and heat it to kill fogging issues. Possibility the auto system in the Regal does recirc causing the problem (dunno).

It does not happen often, but annoying I need to touch the climate control to fix in this car.

stoopid is offline Full Member My Buick(s): 2015 Regal 2.0T FWD

Opening window(s) when the fogging initially occurs can speed up the defogging process.

That and more suggestions here:

http://lifehacker.com/5437104/how-ca...indows-quicker

Mackiesback is offline Full Member My Buick(s): 2011 Buick Regal CXL, 2.4 Auto.

Yeah, I think pretty much every Regal allows you to choose both footwells and defrost at the same time. Might be an owner's manual issue there.

I downgraded to 17" General Alltracs on dedicated wheels as a winter set. You really don't have to worry about traction control settings if you do that, because you will pretty much get traction. These cars are as good as any FWD sedans in the snow, they have a fair amount of weight to them. The only real issue I have had is with the narrow clearance of the wipers to each other and ice build up. The driver's side I believe is 24" and the passenger 18' If there is ice on the ends, the bottom of the 24" blade can come into contact with the top of the passenger side mid swipe, resulting in tangled linkage. Happened to me right after I bought the car and installed aftermarket snow blades (which may not be sized 100% accurately, to be fair). When buying winter blades, get the 23" option for the driver's side to avoid interference.

Also, the grill on mine is only half open, the other half is plastic filled, meaning the outer grille that you see is twice the size of the airflow allowed. In slushy storms, that is pretty easy to get plugged up, so make sure your grille is clear.

Benzadmiral is offline Full Member My Buick(s): 2011 Buick Regal CXL, 2.4L

Remove this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by dbruce View Post
    Have a 2012 and found that the windows fogging is an issue I don't run into in my past Mazda or current one with auto climate. I've only run into the issue in above freezing temps....say 40 to 50. Windows fog and I need to hit the defroster to enable ac and clear out interior moisture and window fog. Under around 40 or so, ac is disabled on any car (temps vary), so need to use outside cooler air and heat it to kill fogging issues. Possibility the auto system in the Regal does recirc causing the problem (dunno).

It does not happen often, but annoying I need to touch the climate control to fix in this car.
    The annoying thing about fogging for me is not the car. It's the eternal damned HUMIDITY here. I can run the front defog with the A/C, and it works fine, but the exterior of the glass takes a long time to get even partly dry using the wipers (yes, I have new blades). Everything here drips. Tropical tree frogs hop frantically for the Sears Coldspot controls.

The Regal handles this foul climate as well as would any car stuck in a tropical rain forest, I suppose. The A/C itself works great. In fact, if the outside temp is below 90 F., and I put on the recirc feature, the LO temp setting gets to be a little cold even for me unless I turn down the fan or turn up the temp control on my side.

Glad to see a thread about living with one's Regal, instead of "Should I put on heavy duty springs?" and "My tune is AWESOME!" threads.
    -- Paul W. (The Benzadmiral)
    ('11 Buick Regal CXL, charcoal/cream, 2.4L)
    My Man from U.N.C.L.E. Blog: http://benzadmiral-uncle.blogspot.com/

Thread Information