Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

buick forums  
The Premier Community for Buick Owners and Enthusiasts

Join us! It's free!

buick forums

Past Lineup: Lucerne | Roadmaster | Regal (Old) | LeSabre | Century | Park Avenue | Riviera | Reatta | Grand National
Current Lineup: Cascada | Verano | LaCrosse | Regal | Enclave | Envision | Encore
Buick Forum: Consumer Reports review?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Consumer Reports has become a joke lately

We have had our Envision Premium since July 2016 and both of us still love it. This follows 2 Enclaves which were very nice cars but cannot compete with the Envision on quiet ride, fantastic/quiet acceleration at low speed (thank you turbo), no torque steer to speak of, and great handling in the wet. Also this car is better put together than those 2 (2010 and a 2014) and I would compare the fit and finish to our BMW 3 series convertible which we recently sold. One of the secrets to loving the handling is keeping 38 to 41 PSI all around and it has minimal impact on ride...but takes the bumps way better! Additionally the interior is more of a luxury car feel than the Envision.

Over the past few years CR has gone way downhill and the only thing I rely on them for is long term reliability since the readers control that. My guess is they are dead set against any GM car built in China (I really wish it was built in North America but you cannot control everything...) but they don't seem to have issues with Volvos made in China by their Chinese owner.

Re: Consumer Reports review?

Recently purchased a Envision with the Preferred term. I had a 2014 Encore Premium for three years. Never had a problem and was very happy with it, but jumped at the chance to move up to the bigger Envision. So far it's been just as good. Quiet ride, smooth acceleration. In fact, the Envision has much better braking than the Encore, which could get grabby at time.

It's only been a couple of weeks, but here are my impressions. Remember I'm coming from a 2014 Encore.

Pros:
    * Bigger with more passenger and cargo space
    * Rear seat climate controls including seat heat
    * No rear seat hump make seating 5 people easier
    * Rear seats recline slightly, or can be moved forward or back for more legroom or more cargo space
    * Automatic liftgate
    * Much improved touch-screen infotainment system.
    * 4G WiFi hotspot
    * Lots of USB ports
    * Much improved Driver Information Center (between tach and speedometer)

Cons:
    * Center-front air vents are located down low, are somewhat small, and recessed. All combined, it can be tough to get a good amount of airflow onto my face on a hot Florida afternoon.
    * Features like Movie times and Fuel prices are no longer available. While I was able to get Fuel prices when the system said I was low on fuel, I'm at a loss as to how to access it on demand
    * Navigation has lost the "Home" destination. Using Contacts is more confusing than with previous versions of Intellilink

That's it for now. I'll stick around the forums and comment occasionally. If you have any questions for me, I'll be happy to answer them.

@ChuckOp

Re: Consumer Reports has become a joke lately

Correction to above: interior is more of a luxury car feel then the Enclave (the Envision more like the overpriced Lexus that Toyota puts out).

Jack_k is offline Buick Newbie My Buick(s): '15 Buick GS

Current Buicks are well engineered, reliable and priced competitively. The dealer makes all the difference just as they would with any brand. While CR is a good base line in purchasing anything,to my mind they are only that, a base line. Drive it, ask for an over night trial, (Highly recommended for any vehicle purchase). I think the Envisions are great and more than competitive in the market.

I don't always agree with Consumer Reports as well. I bought a 2017 Envision Premium ii last month and I must say...it's a great car! So quiet, smooth ride and feel safer with all the technical safety stuff, especially the proactive cruise control. It doesn't concern me that it was made in China, after all most things are these days. I was a little hesitant to buy at first due to the recommendation to use 93 octane for the best performance but since I'm retired I don't clock a lot of travel miles. If I was commuting back and forth to work then I would have purchased something else that either used regular gas or a hybrid.

I owed two buick so in the past and must say Buick still builds a fine car.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog48 View Post
    Agree with all of your points...the Envision gets a bad rap from Consumer Reports. It is comfortable, quiet and gets great mileage. I drove mine from coastal NC to Brooklyn and back and got 31 mpg -- 800 miles while still under 5000 total miles on the vehicle. Only issue has been the same nav/instrument panel lighting tweak (software) that TxTom speaks of.
    We have had ours for only a month but we find it to be very quiet and very comfortable. So far we really love it!

NormT is offline Turbo-4 power! My Buick(s): Turbo Envision

I got a chuckle out of CR's comment about the dash vents hitting them in the elbows. At six feet my head is right at the top of the door jam with seat bottom just off the floor. This my eyes looking out of the windows right the top and perfect for visibilty. Guess when the vents hit me....right at face level. And this with my head at the top of the door/jam. Perfect alignment for outward visibilty. So I give CR a red dot in reporting.

Watching the YouTube review and reading the testing data had me thinking as they just gush over the Jaguar F-pace handling in the same video. So I reviewed the collision mph data and the Envsion had similar times but said the handling wasn't good....what gives? Another red dot for CR reporting.

Quote Originally Posted by NormT View Post
    I got a chuckle out of CR's comment about the dash vents hitting them in the elbows. At six feet my head is right at the top of the door jam with seat bottom just off the floor. This my eyes looking out of the windows right the top and perfect for visibilty. Guess when the vents hit me....right at face level. And this with my head at the top of the door/jam. Perfect alignment for outward visibilty. So I give CR a red dot in reporting.

Watching the YouTube review and reading the testing data had me thinking as they just gush over the Jaguar F-pace handling in the same video. So I reviewed the collision mph data and the Envsion had similar times but said the handling wasn't good....what gives? Another red dot for CR reporting.
    LIKE LIKE! *BTW: Where is the LIKE button?

NormT is offline Turbo-4 power! My Buick(s): Turbo Envision

Remove this ad
    Lol!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information