Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

buick forums  
The Premier Community for Buick Owners and Enthusiasts

Join us! It's free!

buick forums

Past Lineup: Lucerne | Roadmaster | Regal (Old) | LeSabre | Century | Park Avenue | Riviera | Reatta | Grand National
Current Lineup: Cascada | Verano | LaCrosse | Regal | Enclave | Envision | Encore
Buick Forum: Hey everyone, i am new to the site and to Buick! Maybe some help needed.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    ryenie is offline Full Member My Buick(s): 95 Monte Carlo L36

Re: Hey everyone, i am new to the site and to Buick! Maybe some help needed.

I think due to the radiator being lower than the highest point, on top of having to deal with two bleeders, and a thermostat that doesn't have a hole to allow air through, it is a process to get it properly bled. It typically takes multiple top off's. But each one should take less and less. Once the heater begins working it should not take more than 3 top offs, before it no longer needs any. If after this point you still have to keep topping it off i would suspect a leak. If it's leaking and can't be seen externally, i would think it's the lower intake gaskets (not sure if those were touched on but if recall correctly, no coolant in the oil has been mentioned, and 4 pages is a lot of re-reading and i'm easily distracted). I've tore down more than a handful of 3100's due to the intake gaskets, and several had been severely overheated, actually overheated (ran in the red til the engine died) not just the first appearance of an air bubble that scares everyone into thinking they're overheating. Haven't seen a single cracked head (doesn't mean it's not possible), but i would suspect a head gasket or intake gasket, before i would a cracked head.
    Don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff

Quote Originally Posted by ryenie View Post
    I think due to the radiator being lower than the highest point, on top of having to deal with two bleeders, and a thermostat that doesn't have a hole to allow air through, it is a process to get it properly bled. It typically takes multiple top off's. But each one should take less and less. Once the heater begins working it should not take more than 3 top offs, before it no longer needs any. If after this point you still have to keep topping it off i would suspect a leak. If it's leaking and can't be seen externally, i would think it's the lower intake gaskets (not sure if those were touched on but if recall correctly, no coolant in the oil has been mentioned, and 4 pages is a lot of re-reading and i'm easily distracted). I've tore down more than a handful of 3100's due to the intake gaskets, and several had been severely overheated, actually overheated (ran in the red til the engine died) not just the first appearance of an air bubble that scares everyone into thinking they're overheating. Haven't seen a single cracked head (doesn't mean it's not possible), but i would suspect a head gasket or intake gasket, before i would a cracked head.
    Oh my, almost a month later!! Hope all is well! Was in the hospital, and have been busy, i havent even really touched the internet. So, im driving my car now, which seems to be ok, but most likely needs more air out. We drove the car to ATL, GA which is about 80 ish miles away, the car did fine. Im paranoid about the transmission now, ever since i got the car, when it goes out of 1st gear it has a jerk to it that i dont know if its normal, also 2 days ago i discover when i come to a stop occasionally theres this strange clicking sound, the car does need new brakes due too them being noisy haha, i know the car is nearly 20 years old and i expect small things, but im a HUGE worry wart... Anyway i hope all is well

Update: Went out there and did the coolant fill up again to get the rest of the air out (yes it still has air). I inspected the transmission fluid good and its brownish -.- so that will have to be changed, i hope driving it with that crap didnt harm the tranny.
    Last edited by John Benjamin Lusk; May 20th, 2017 at 08:49 AM.

Dreager5 is offline Buick Newbie My Buick(s): Buick Century

Only reason for removing\loosening them is the gasket is woven through the pushrods so the pushrods need to be removed to remove the old gasket and install the new one. There's a few videos on you tube if you wanna watch and see how comfortable you are with it. I'll check some out and see if there's any that stand out as a well done job.[/QUOTE]

*** No need to remove the rockers for the Lim job. I used a long arm,(for leverage) small jawed wrench and push/pull up on them. The danger of stripping the aluminum rocker threads isn't worth it imho. Another time saver is to take off the injector rail with the LIM (Money/time saver also, no need to replace injector O rings) My 2 cents.
    1999 Buick Century Custom 3.1 150,000 KM

Remove this ad
    Thanks Dreager 😊

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread Information