Registered members do not see this advertisement! Remove it by signing up for free.
buick forums  
The Premier Community for Buick Owners and Enthusiasts

Join us! It's free!

buick forums

Past Lineup: Lucerne | Roadmaster | Regal (Old) | LeSabre | Century | Park Avenue | Riviera | Reatta | Grand National
Current Lineup: Cascada | Verano | LaCrosse | Regal | Enclave | Envision | Encore
Buick Forum: Hello all newbie here please help

Hello all newbie here please help

Hello all newbie here to this site need help on how to post a thread not sure if im in right area anyways wife has a 2010 Lacrosse cxl and the issue is the A/C system cools when car is in motion but when in dead stop traffic or longbidle at traffic light cars a/c does not blow cold i can see compressor is engaging and stays on took to a shop paid 200$ jus to tell us nothing is wrong mech had to upload his computer system to "talk" to computer on car please help any info greatly appreciated

HotZ28 is offline Full Member My Buick(s): 1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU

Re: Hello all newbie here please help

It sounds like the refrigerant is low and needs to be recharged. You need to find another shop that specializes in A/C systems and knows how to diagnose the problem. I am sorry to here that you wasted all that money on amateurs. Pressure checks are mandatory, not computer checks, especially if they had upload a program to check. Sum Ting Wong at that shop!

Mad*Max is offline Full Member My Buick(s): 2010 Lacrosse CXS, 2007 Corvette Coupe, 2012 Chev Sonic

Quote Originally Posted by HotZ28 View Post
    It sounds like the refrigerant is low and needs to be recharged. You need to find another shop that specializes in A/C systems and knows how to diagnose the problem. I am sorry to here that you wasted all that money on amateurs. Pressure checks are mandatory, not computer checks, especially if they had upload a program to check. Sum Ting Wong at that shop!
    this is good advice - in addition, I would try to clean out the radiator/condenser with compressed air as there might be debris stuck in there over the years

Rick341 is offline Contributing Member My Buick(s): 2017 Buick Lacrosse Premium

I second the low refrigerant diagnosis but I suspect there's another problem somewhere since refrigerant shouldn't leak out of the system. Could be something as small as a bad hose or worn seal or 0-ring or worse, a hole in or bad condenser among other things. Does it blow what appears to be smoke from the vents? Low refrigerant will do that at times. Definitely take it to a shop who knows air conditioning for a refrigerant pressure check. They have the ability to find leaks by using refrigerant with dye in it or by using what they call a "sniffer" that can smell and pinpoint the leak. I don't recommend it but if it's a slow leak you can purchase refrigerant in bottles with a pressure gauge on the bottle and fill it yourself and that might get you through the summer but that won't fix the leak.
    Last edited by Rick341; March 20th, 2017 at 06:50 AM.

Fellas thanks to all who replied greatly appreciated will have checked also one more issue...what about foul odor when ac comes on then goes away its only when turn car on then u turn on ac smells bad then goes away??? Any input

Quote Originally Posted by Mad*Max View Post
    this is good advice - in addition, I would try to clean out the radiator/condenser with compressed air as there might be debris stuck in there over the years
    Hey Mad Max where is the condenser located on that car year make and model 2010 Buick LaCrosse cxl any info greatly appreciated

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rick341 View Post
    I second the low refrigerant diagnosis but I suspect there's another problem somewhere since refrigerant shouldn't leak out of the system. Could be something as small as a bad hose or worn seal or 0-ring or worse, a hole in or bad condenser among other things. Does it blow what appears to be smoke from the vents? Low refrigerant will do that at times. Definitely take it to a shop who knows air conditioning for a refrigerant pressure check. They have the ability to find leaks by using refrigerant with dye in it or by using what they call a "sniffer" that can smell and pinpoint the leak. I don't recommend it but if it's a slow leak you can purchase refrigerant in bottles with a pressure gauge on the bottle and fill it yourself and that might get you through the summer but that won't fix the leak.
    No smoke coming from the vents as stated previously the car cools when in motion or on the highway but sitting at long idles in traffic or at a traffic light the AC is not blowing cold I can see the compressor kicking on and stays on

Mad*Max is offline Full Member My Buick(s): 2010 Lacrosse CXS, 2007 Corvette Coupe, 2012 Chev Sonic

the condenser is right in front of the radiator - they are facing each other - I had your problem in my Corvette and one of the nice Forum members cleaned out the condenser/rad with compressed air and a vacuum on his hoist as well as drained and refilled the refrigerant and the A/C was like new

Quote Originally Posted by aramirez73 View Post
    Hey Mad Max where is the condenser located on that car year make and model 2010 Buick LaCrosse cxl any info greatly appreciated

- - - Updated - - -

No smoke coming from the vents as stated previously the car cools when in motion or on the highway but sitting at long idles in traffic or at a traffic light the AC is not blowing cold I can see the compressor kicking on and stays on

Also check to make sure both of the fans are working and not stopping. I have encountered that on previous vehicles because the fan was not running all the time and when stopped at lights it would get hot and then cold when driving. I found out one of the two fans were not working I replaced it and all was better.

Remove this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad*Max View Post
    the condenser is right in front of the radiator
    I think of the condenser as being the radiator for the A/C system.

Thread Information