Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

buick forums  
The Premier Community for Buick Owners and Enthusiasts

Join us! It's free!

buick forums

Past Lineup: Lucerne | Roadmaster | Regal (Old) | LeSabre | Century | Park Avenue | Riviera | Reatta | Grand National
Current Lineup: Cascada | Verano | LaCrosse | Regal | Enclave | Envision | Encore
Buick Forum: Encore oil change interval

Encore oil change interval

Bought a 2016 Encore this past week. Owners manual does not specify synthetic or regular oil, or oil change interval with respective oil type. Display has a "remaining oil life" display but shows % remaining. I am old school and want to know the appropriate miles for regular or synthetic oil changes. Is synthetic oil recommended? I have never used synthetic and have gotten 160K+ miles out of every vehicle with no engine issues.

Re: Encore oil change interval

you will get all sorts for responses based on personnel preference. If you intend to keep the vehicle for a long time invest in the synthetic oil and change at 7,500 miles or 20% remaining oil life or 1 year which ever comes first.

SR45 is offline Full Member My Buick(s): 2015 Encore Leather, Pear White

Buick gives you some free oil changes when buying new. They give you full synthetic now as I was told a few weeks ago.

Thanks for the information. I was thinking of going to the synthetic at the next oil change. 10,500 miles when I bought it and it has a fresh oil change from the dealer, but not a Buick Dealer, so not sure what they used. Guess I will just go 3-4000 miles and switch to synthetic at whatever % it says on the display.

SR45 is offline Full Member My Buick(s): 2015 Encore Leather, Pear White

My brand-new 2015 encore gave me two free oil changes for two years. Unknown when you bought your car at the dealership or if they gave you free oil changes. If it's free you should have given them a chance to change your oil and they would have given you synthetic instead of going to another oil exchange Place.

Thank you, I like your recommendation. I bought this 2016 Encore with 10,500 miles at a Honda Dealer with a fresh oil change but no info on the oil change (found out with the Carfax report). Since they likely did not rotate the tires, I will do that this week. Doubt there is any way to tell synthetic oil from fossil oil, so will just change it in 3-4000 miles and then move to a 7500 mile interval for a synthetic oil change and tire rotation. So far we really like the Encore, nice ride, comfortable seats, and lots of options we have never had before.

Mr Swingline is offline Junior Member My Buick(s): 2016 Buick Encore Premium

Hi borbc, congrats on the Buick hope it gives you many trouble free miles. GM manual will recommend a semi-synthetic oil with Dexos 1 certification (factory fill is AC Delco Semi Synthetic 5w-30) This is what I have been using in my wife's Encore and also what I used in her 2008 Cobalt, which we sold with 250,000kms (just over 150,000 miles) still in perfect running condition. It is reasonably priced and seems to work well. I change the oil every 10,000kms (6,500 miles) with primarily highway driving. Full synthetic is great as well but Semi-Synthetic is a viable alternative in my books.

Remove this ad
    Also keep in mind that Turbo engines heat damage oil more quickly than naturally aspirated ones. Its because engine oil is used to lubricate and cool super hot Turbo bearings in exhaust manifold. I use full synthetic and when oil life monitor runs close to 10%, oil is pretty black. Much faster than non turbo car going same mileage.
    Last edited by GoMich; April 19th, 2017 at 11:33 AM.

Thread Information