Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

buick forums  
The Premier Community for Buick Owners and Enthusiasts

Join us! It's free!

buick forums

Past Lineup: Lucerne | Roadmaster | Regal (Old) | LeSabre | Century | Park Avenue | Riviera | Reatta | Grand National
Current Lineup: Cascada | Verano | LaCrosse | Regal | Enclave | Envision | Encore
Buick Forum: 1971 was a good year

1971 was a good year

So my dad (82 yrs old) and I took out the plugs on the ole 455 last weekend and sprayed tons of penetrating oil down her cylinders. Initial compression checks yielded sad results. 125 1-2/7-8 60 3-4/5-6. Hasnt ran since 1981. I want to rebuild. Dad wants to spend more time investigating. Going to have to do a body off resto after replacing trunk, under seat and rear floor pans. (rear window leaked). Gonna blast the frame, do some welding and POR it. Lots of replacing things along the way of course. This Riv is Green on green, dark from head to toe.... Will post pics soon.... wish us luck guys....

ryenie is offline Full Member My Buick(s): 95 Monte Carlo L36

Re: 1971 was a good year

Good luck and don't forget to update. After not running for 35 years, it's amazing that it turns over, i've seen engines seize in less than 5 years from sitting without running, so it sounds like it wants to be brought back to life.
    Don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff

LARRY70GS is offline Full Member My Buick(s): 98 Riviera, 70 GS455 Stg1

I'd run it with some Marvel Mystery Oil in the gasoline and engine oil. That may free up the rings and get the compression up. Realize that compression readings on a cold engine, especially one that hasn't run in a long while aren't really valid. You need the engine up to temperature with the throttle blocked wide open.

There are lots of go fast parts for the Buick 455. The heads are where the power is. Stage 1 and 2 aluminum heads are available. My GS has a stroker 470 and it made 602 HP and 589 TQ. It idles at 750 RPM in gear and you can drive it anywhere. It consistently runs mid 11's and weighs over 4000 lbs with me in it. Click on the you tube links at the end of my signature. Visit www.v8buick.com
    Larry
    1970 GS455 Stage1, 4080 lbs Race Weight, Best ET, [email protected], Best MPH, 11.58@ 115.89 MPH
    1998 Loaded SC3800 Riviera
    [email protected]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU

Remove this ad
    Well, we pulled the pan last weekend to inspect the bottom end. It looks pretty good less the sludge/oil? Gonna clean things up re install the pan and flush things out put in some clean oil and replace all the ignition parts, rebuild the carb and replace the worn out rocker arms and shafts..... Dad wants it left stock..... for now... (wink wink) We need a good gas tank! '71's are in a class by themselves it seems as I can find tons of '72-73 but no 71? Any ideas? I will be taking pics along the way and figure out how to post them so you all can ride along with us...

Thread Information