Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

buick forums  
The Premier Community for Buick Owners and Enthusiasts

Join us! It's free!

buick forums

Past Lineup: Lucerne | Roadmaster | Regal (Old) | LeSabre | Century | Park Avenue | Riviera | Reatta | Grand National
Current Lineup: Cascada | Verano | LaCrosse | Regal | Enclave | Envision | Encore
Buick Forum: updating/reflashing oil life monitor for updated Dexos oil

updating/reflashing oil life monitor for updated Dexos oil

Hey everybody!

New to the forum, usually lurk over BITOG, and thought I'd come to your forum for a question specifically for GMs OLM in my car.

I was wondering if there was an update available on the OLM that would take in to account the updated oil specs for Dexos1 or Dexos1 - 2.0. I like to follow the OLMs in both our Century and Dodge, but have a pretty healthy stash of Dexos1 0w-30 that I feel is being a little wasted running on the current OLM software.

I appreciate your feedback, and to getting to know your forum.

Have a great week!

Richard

Vehicle is a 2003 Buick Century, with the 3.1 V6 and 105.5k miles on the clock

Re: updating/reflashing oil life monitor for updated Dexos oil

The factory called for 5W30 which is pretty low in viscosity when cold so why would you go even lower to a 0W30. I have never seen any mention of oil viscosity being a parameter in how OLM systems work.

It's not the oil viscosity that I have any concern about.

Since I usually post on an oil focused forum, that information would have been wanted, if only to satisfy someone's curiosity. If they had been clearing out Mobil 1 5w-30 at $2 a quart, I'd have bought those instead. As it stands, they were only (in the 30 I wanted) getting rid of 0w AFE.

My wondering is if there was an OLM update or computer reflash that would change the system from running on the API SM dino oil from 2003 to the more recent Dexos1 that the Mobil 1 carries, regardless of the viscosity of the oil.

Remove this ad
    There is no business reason for a car manufacturer to do that.

Thread Information