Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

buick forums  
The Premier Community for Buick Owners and Enthusiasts

Join us! It's free!

buick forums

Past Lineup: Lucerne | Roadmaster | Regal (Old) | LeSabre | Century | Park Avenue | Riviera | Reatta | Grand National
Current Lineup: Cascada | Verano | LaCrosse | Regal | Enclave | Envision | Encore
Buick Forum: 9 speaker wiring question
    PkAve01 is offline Buick Newbie My Buick(s): Buick 2001 Park Ave

9 speaker wiring question

I have the 01 Park Ave Base with 9 spkr setup. I want to keep the oem but in the factory amp I want to switch the rear deck signal to the rear door and the rear door to the rear deck. Does anyone know the wire color code for the rear door speakers?

bigsky is offline 5.7L Member My Buick(s): 97 PA Base (salvage 185k), 99 PA Base (sold 140k), 2K PA Base (sold 120k), 03 PAU 155k, 04 PAU

Re: 9 speaker wiring question

Quote Originally Posted by PkAve01 View Post
    I have the 01 Park Ave Base with 9 spkr setup. I want to keep the oem but in the factory amp I want to switch the rear deck signal to the rear door and the rear door to the rear deck. Does anyone know the wire color code for the rear door speakers?
    Left Rear Door: White (-) Pin F16 at amp & Tan (+) Pin F15. This is named the "Left Rear Midrange Speaker Output" from the amp.

Right Rear Door: Red (-) Pin F13 & Tan (+) Pin F14. Right Rear Midrange Speaker Output.

This is from a 2002 Service Manual.

Maylar is online now Full Member My Buick(s): 1999 Park Ave Ultra; 1985 Olds Delta-88 Royale

Assuming it's the same as my 99 Ultra - Be aware that the rear deck 6X9's are "sub woofers" and the rear door speakers are just 3.5" full range speakers. The OEM amp has circuits to direct the appropriate frequency ranges to each set. Bad idea to switch them. You won't get any bass out of the 6X9's and the 3.5's will probably blow out.
    -----------------------
    Dave from Connecticut

1999 Park Ave Ultra
    All the goodies

bigsky is offline 5.7L Member My Buick(s): 97 PA Base (salvage 185k), 99 PA Base (sold 140k), 2K PA Base (sold 120k), 03 PAU 155k, 04 PAU

Quote Originally Posted by Maylar View Post
    Assuming it's the same as my 99 Ultra - Be aware that the rear deck 6X9's are "sub woofers" and the rear door speakers are just 3.5" full range speakers. The OEM amp has circuits to direct the appropriate frequency ranges to each set. Bad idea to switch them. You won't get any bass out of the 6X9's and the 3.5's will probably blow out.
    Yes the OP should be aware or hopefully knows how the system is set up from the factory.

Just to mention options; I disconnected the rear door speakers, the front door tweeters, and the center dash speaker. I then upgraded the front door woofers with 5 1/4 coaxials. I kept the door tweeters connected for a while, but prefer the sound without them. This setup keeps the soundstage up front. Also, the headunit is a Pioneer.

The rear "subwoofers" put out pretty good bass IMO, and are an upgrade from the 6 x 9's used in the 6 speaker factory setup.

PkAve01 is offline Buick Newbie My Buick(s): Buick 2001 Park Ave

I sincerely would like to thank you all for your help. I am new to the scene and is impressed with the PA. I picked up a pair of pioneer 6x9 with a 27hz to 37,000 hz range and with a 92db sensitivity. I also seen a small 5.25 Tang sub-woofers that I feel could fit in the rear doors to give added bass without overpowering the clarity of the system. I feel the car will sound better by having the full range signal from the rear doors pumped from into the rear deck. I have not decided on whether to combine the rear deck sub signal wired into one sub to go into the rear deck OR send the 6x9 sub signal to the rear doors where I would put the 5.25 Tang subs. I think this arrangement would bring the PA closer to a real concert sound. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Maylar is online now Full Member My Buick(s): 1999 Park Ave Ultra; 1985 Olds Delta-88 Royale

Again, the factory amp has filters that direct specific frequencies to each speaker. Full range with hi pass (limited bass) to the front, reduced power without bass to the rear doors, and bass only to the 6X9 subs. The only way to take full control is to replace or bypass the factory amp. Fortunately all radio and speaker wires come back to the trunk and plug into the amp. The connector is the same as the one for the radio with a few more pins being used.

For my system I used a 4 channel amp and external equalizer. 2 channels to the front speakers, 2 channels bridged to a 10" sub in the trunk, and Boston 6X9's off head unit power for the rear channels. The rear door speakers are disconnected. Some day I'll do something about the front center channel.

Quote Originally Posted by bigsky View Post
    Yes the OP should be aware or hopefully knows how the system is set up from the factory.

Just to mention options; I disconnected the rear door speakers, the front door tweeters, and the center dash speaker. I then upgraded the front door woofers with 5 1/4 coaxials. I kept the door tweeters connected for a while, but prefer the sound without them. This setup keeps the soundstage up front. Also, the headunit is a Pioneer.

The rear "subwoofers" put out pretty good bass IMO, and are an upgrade from the 6 x 9's used in the 6 speaker factory setup.
    The front door speaker mounts are very lame plastic boxes that are tuned to the OEM speakers. I tried putting some high end components in the doors and they sounded horrible. Ended up taking those boxes out and mounting speakers to the outside of the doors.

BTW what head unit did you use? I was told by Crutchfield that all Pioneer decks are too deep to fit into the PA dash.

Remove this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by Maylar View Post
    I was told by Crutchfield that all Pioneer decks are too deep to fit into the PA dash.
    My deck sticks out a bit, but with the trim ring on... it fits fairly flush to the dash trim and looks fine IMO. The deck I have is a single DIN unit around 10 years old. Some owners have installed Double Din decks and have gotten extra depth by modifying & removing the rear bracing for more room for the cables.

I did not have a problem and routed the plug-in adapter harness under the deck. The mounting kit I used had a blank space under the deck; many kits have a "pocket" which just gets in the way. I also found an antenna adapter with a right-angle plug.

Thread Information