Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

buick forums  
The Premier Community for Buick Owners and Enthusiasts

Join us! It's free!

buick forums

Past Lineup: Lucerne | Roadmaster | Regal (Old) | LeSabre | Century | Park Avenue | Riviera | Reatta | Grand National
Current Lineup: Cascada | Verano | LaCrosse | Regal | Enclave | Envision | Encore
Buick Forum: 2017 Lacrosse seatbelt issue

2017 Lacrosse seatbelt issue

Hi, long time lurker, had a 2006 Lucerne so I have been monitoring that forum for a while. Anyway, have a new Lacrosse that I purchased on 4/8 and although I love the car and the features I do have an issue that perhaps the Buick Moderators might help on if they monitor this forum.

Had car for 2 weeks before they had to paint front bumper due to defect in clearcoat(had a peel on right front which they fixed but in shop for a week to repair) along with driver wiper issue that had a defective wiper arm that they had to replace.

Now I can not get the driver side seat/shoulder belt to work, it only comes out a few inches at a time. I went to dealer and although very helpful they tell me that the retractor mechanism is stuck and its only a production part, not yet to be sent to dealers for warranty work.

So basically I am driver a car without the use of the driver side seat belt. They will not take another one of a car that is on the lot because they say that is illegal and I will have to wait weeks or whenever that part is available as a repair unit.

Its a little disheartening to drive a vechicle when federal and state law says that you have to have a seat/shoulder belt to be worn.

So I had the car for almost 4 weeks but only drove it for 2 1/2 so far since its been in the shop.

I dd call the 800 cust svc number and they did open a case for me, so I a waiting for a response and they will refer it to the correct party, and I hope its good.

Any thoughts or ideas of what else could be done to escalate this issue.

Sorry to have first post as a negative but perhaps Buick, if they monitor this site could assist.

Thanks
    bill g
    Last edited by grisby; May 2nd, 2017 at 03:55 PM. Reason: more info

IanDMacDonald is offline Junior Member My Buick(s): '11 Buick LaCrosse CXL

Re: 2017 Lacrosse seatbelt issue

Sounds like your dealer does not care about you after the sale. My dealer heard "I'm worried", and they echoed it with "I'm worried now, cuz ur worried" = loaner for the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by grisby View Post
    Hi, long time lurker, had a 2006 Lucerne so I have been monitoring that forum for a while. Anyway, have a new Lacrosse that I purchased on 4/8 and although I love the car and the features I do have an issue that perhaps the Buick Moderators might help on if they monitor this forum.

Had car for 2 weeks before they had to paint front bumper due to defect in clearcoat(had a peel on right front which they fixed but in shop for a week to repair) along with driver wiper issue that had a defective wiper arm that they had to replace.

Now I can not get the driver side seat/shoulder belt to work, it only comes out a few inches at a time. I went to dealer and although very helpful they tell me that the retractor mechanism is stuck and its only a production part, not yet to be sent to dealers for warranty work.

So basically I am driver a car without the use of the driver side seat belt. They will not take another one of a car that is on the lot because they say that is illegal and I will have to wait weeks or whenever that part is available as a repair unit.

Its a little disheartening to drive a vechicle when federal and state law says that you have to have a seat/shoulder belt to be worn.

So I had the car for almost 4 weeks but only drove it for 2 1/2 so far since its been in the shop.

I dd call the 800 cust svc number and they did open a case for me, so I a waiting for a response and they will refer it to the correct party, and I hope its good.

Any thoughts or ideas of what else could be done to escalate this issue.

Sorry to have first post as a negative but perhaps Buick, if they monitor this site could assist.

Thanks
    bill g
    I'm sorry, but from where I sit... and I work at a dealer, your dealer's response to your problem sounds like pure bullshit.

It is very, very rare that GM will start to sell a car and not have essential parts available. Oh, yeah, they can go on backorder, they can have vendor issues, but to tell you that the part hasn't been released yet sounds mighty fishy. I'm not near my catalogs right now but if I can remember, I'll check a few part numbers to see if they're available.

Next: your non functional seatbelt is a safety issue. I'm more than willing to bet that Buick doesn't want the liability of you driving without a seatbelt. It's much cheaper to put you in a loaner car than it would be to settle litigation from a potential accident. Having a safety defect also puts them in a potential buyback situation. That you're not happy with your new car should also bother the folks at Buick. I would call Buick back and tell them nicely but forcefully that you refuse to drive your car until they fix it properly. I would impress upon the customer service rep that you refuse to deal with your present dealer and ask them to direct you to another dealer. I've worked with CSR reps and have ordered parts to have them available when the customer reports to the dealer. And when the inevitable survey comes, do not hesitate to flame the dealer that has let you down. One bad survey doesn't hurt a dealer, but a bunch of them do. Do your part to contribute. If you haven't noticed, I hate it when a dealer screws a customer over, even though I know it happens at my own place. I also know there are two sides to most stories.

No, they won't pull one from a stock unit unless Buick so directs, and yeah, it has to do with disclosing to the eventual buyer that it happened. If I'm paying $30-50K for a new car, I want it to be new. They're much more likely to pull one from production.

Good luck. I hope they make you right.

Ian thanks for the reply. I spoke to a Kevin in Detroit at the cust svc nbr and he promised to call me back by Thursday by end of business day. Douger, I appreciate it if you could look it up for me and the part number or numbers involved. He said not there were 3 pieces involved' Yep that is the term the parts guy used, that it was in production for new cars on assembly but not yet RELEASED to the dealers for warranty repairs.

Yes, it did cost close to 50k!!

Its a large dealership that is in Jersey and Pa(mine is in Harrisburg) and If I don't get a good response I will contact the attorney general and the local news( they have a consumer complaint area and love to take items to tv and radio).

The man I spoke to in Detroit seemed really concerned and I hope he follows through. The wife is more PO'd than I am. I have bought 17 new Buicks since 1972 and yes I had some warranty issues in the past but never like this, like you said, its a safety issue.

As for a loaner car, I already had one for a week due to the bumper and wiper issues. When they told me it may take weeks I did not want to ask for a loaner at that time cause its my car and would like it fixed asap but now I may have to push the issue if I do not get a reasonable reply.

I am retired and work part time and the folks I work with(mostly younger) who drive new and old foreign cars are laughing their butts off, but its not funny anymore!!

Thanks again and I appreciate the feedback.

Ian thanks for the reply. I spoke to a Kevin in Detroit at the cust svc nbr and he promised to call me back by Thursday by end of business day. Douger, I appreciate it if you could look it up for me and the part number or numbers involved. He said not there were 3 pieces involved' Yep that is the term the parts guy used, that it was in production for new cars on assembly but not yet RELEASED to the dealers for warranty repairs.

Yes, it did cost close to 50k!!

Its a large dealership that is in Jersey and Pa(mine is in Harrisburg) and If I don't get a good response I will contact the attorney general and the local news( they have a consumer complaint area and love to take items to tv and radio).

The man I spoke to in Detroit seemed really concerned and I hope he follows through. The wife is more PO'd than I am. I have bought 17 new Buicks since 1972 and yes I had some warranty issues in the past but never like this, like you said, its a safety issue.

As for a loaner car, I already had one for a week due to the bumper and wiper issues. When they told me it may take weeks I did not want to ask for a loaner at that time cause its my car and would like it fixed asap but now I may have to push the issue if I do not get a reasonable reply.

I am retired and work part time and the folks I work with(mostly younger) who drive new and old foreign cars are laughing their butts off, but its not funny anymore!!

Thanks again and I appreciate the feedback.
    There are two color choices for seat belts in your car.... black and brown. I've looked up the drivers retractor using both colors as an option. I have run into dead ends on both. I don't understand why they're telling you there are three pieces involved. There's a retractor and there's a buckle. Two part numbers per color option. The buckle doesn't pull out. I can tell you that the part numbers for both colors have changed three times. There is an issue somewhere, either with design or vendor production.

At this point, as a dealer I would call GM. There are two centers to call. The first is called PARTECH and they handle technical issues related to GM parts. They would tell me if there are any new part numbers that aren't available on my web based resource. The next call would be to the SPAC department, who handle parts availability issues. They would tell me what exactly is going on with the part.

I can't make those calls for you. I'm not your servicing dealer, and I can't take up the centers' time with what would be a hypothetical situation. It does seem there is some truth to what your dealer is telling you. That doesn't relieve them of the reponsibility of putting you in a loaner until GM resolves the issue. You're not able to operate your vehicle safely or legally.

Douger, lthanks for checking. I have the black belt. Buick tech called me 2x and gave me 2 case numbers. I contacted the previous GM of the dealership who now does the Maserati and RaM and Subaru(heck of a combination from low to high end) but its the same family of dealerships and he called the GM of the Buick dealer who did contact me. H called the GM of the Buick dealer who contacted me after he called him. They are calling Buick as of now won't let them take a belt off of another car, so they are waiting for Buick to contact them back. Was told its the retractor assembly and pretensioner and I forget the other part.

ANYWAY as of 2 hours ago I am now driving a brand new GMC Arcadia for as long as it takes.

Still frustrating with only 500 miles sitting on the odometer but at least now the wife feels safer with a seatbelt. Nice riding truck, tranny is smoother and thank heavens it does not have the start/stop feature but I figured out how to overide that somewhat, but the ride is not Buick.

Thanks again and I will let you know how I make out.
    Last edited by grisby; May 4th, 2017 at 04:31 PM. Reason: spelling

Douger, lthanks for checking. I have the black belt. Buick tech called me 2x and gave me 2 case numbers. I contacted the previous GM of the dealership who now does the Maserati and RaM and Subaru(heck of a combination from low to high end) but its the same family of dealerships and he called the GM of the Buick dealer who did contact me. H called the GM of the Buick dealer who contacted me after he called him. They are calling Buick as of now won't let them take a belt off of another car, so they are waiting for Buick to contact them back. Was told its the retractor assembly and pretensioner and I forget the other part.

ANYWAY as of 2 hours ago I am now driving a brand new GMC Arcadia for as long as it takes.

Still frustrating with only 500 miles sitting on the odometer but at least now the wife feels safer with a seatbelt. Nice riding truck, tranny is smoother and thank heavens it does not have the start/stop feature but I figured out how to overide that somewhat, but the ride is not Buick.

Thanks again and I will let you know how I make out.
    Good luck.

IanDMacDonald is offline Junior Member My Buick(s): '11 Buick LaCrosse CXL

How did u override the start/stop feature?

Not a permanent over ride, but before I come to a stop I tap the shifter in manual mode and that keeps the car running. When the light turns green, give it a little gas to get moving then I tap again to get back into drive so I don't have to play with the paddle shifters. HTH

Remove this ad
    Well it hs been 16 days and still no car. I called Buick Customer service ( that was a joke) got 4 people who said they were dedicated to my case but no action and always same reply--wait to see what happens and no idea when part will come in. Finally emailed Mary Bara's office and got a reply right away and the gentleman is running with issue and sends me email updates and even returns calls with some type of status, unlike customer service.j

The ironic part is wife keep getting emails from dealer to trade her GMC in. She finally answered them and told them no way, my husband has a caar sitting on their lot for 3 weeks. The dealer answered back and gave the usual answer--they have to wait for part. I was promised a call from their GM this week and when I called back to talk to him I was told he is on vacation!!!????????

About 1 hr ago I get a call from my salesman asking me how am I enjoying my new Lacrosse--boy did he get an ear full and some other kind words--i told him to look outside his office window and he could see how I am enjoying it.

Am waiting for call from Barra's office tomorrow for a release date for part, if not good I will pursue other means--either a buy back or contact lawyer for the lemon law since it is sitting so long for a safety issue. Wish me luck.
    Thanks
    Bill G

1972 Buick GS Stage 1
    1 of 728 made
    1 of 1 SCO color combo

Thread Information