Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

buick forums  
The Premier Community for Buick Owners and Enthusiasts

Join us! It's free!

buick forums

Past Lineup: Lucerne | Roadmaster | Regal (Old) | LeSabre | Century | Park Avenue | Riviera | Reatta | Grand National
Current Lineup: Cascada | Verano | LaCrosse | Regal | Enclave | Envision | Encore
Buick Forum: Noises coming from the front?

Noises coming from the front?

We just bought a new '17 Envision with the 2.0 Turbo engine. Still getting used to the features, but with under 2000 miles we've noticed a sound I can only describe as a blower motor with a bearing going out. It is doubtful that it is actually the blower motor, but it's the only sound I've heard that's similar. It comes and goes; is NOT dependent on engine speed and always has the same tone (or pitch), which is rather low and fluttery. I would also describe it as a lower-pitched version of the suction device used at the dentist office. Absent of motor noise, it could remind you of the sound at the end of a vacuum hose. It typically starts unexpectedly and lasts only 3-5 seconds. It's loud enough to be heard from the backseat. My 80-year old mother-in-law heard it, as did my son. As the driver, I can almost "feel" it.

We have taken it back to the dealer but the service department there is nowhere near as competent as the sales department was in selling us the car. They drove it for 70 miles and tried to give it back with a shrug, "never heard a thing". We insisted they keep it and drive it so one of their service tech's drove it back and forth to work, putting another 200 miles on the car. Nothing.

We drive it approximately 70 miles round-trip to work and hear it every day. It sometimes seems tied to acceleration; other times it seems to come on when following a car or in windy conditions. Never lasts long, never sounds different (it's either making the noise or it isn't). It only happens at speed over 30 mph, never when sitting still. I've tried changing things; turning off cruise control, varying the speed of the blower fan, turning the wheel slightly left or right when it happens (or trying to make it happen), etc.

I'm at a loss, so I came here to see if anyone else has experienced this. On a side note, we were loaned another Envision while ours was being evaluated. Our loaner was a non-turbo car and never made a sound similar to ours.

Re: Noises coming from the front?

dale_z28...I have a '16 2.0, haven't had any such noise. Have 9,400 miles on it. Have you tried turning off the On/Off power for the A/C-Heat control to see if that makes the noise not come on? You mentioned changing the blower fan. Drive with the that system off...maybe that's it? Could it be power steering related, since you say you almost feel it.

If not, try another dealer.

Thanks for the reply. No, it's not the fan or anything in the cabin. It seems farther forward and lower, almost like a weird spark-knock, but isn't happening due to acceleration. It does it with or without cruise-control. Doesn't seem to be related to octane, as we have run different octanes and the sound hasn't changed. We may have to go elsewhere to find a competent service department. Thanks again

ANY possibility it is tire related, depending on speed and/or road surface?

NormT is offline Turbo-4 power! My Buick(s): Turbo Verano - Turbo Encore

Try manually down shifting a gear. If you put the selector in "L" or manual it'll automatically downshift a gear. It could be the torque converter or trans pump.

Remove this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by dale_z28 View Post
    We just bought a new '17 Envision with the 2.0 Turbo engine. Still getting used to the features, but with under 2000 miles we've noticed a sound I can only describe as a blower motor with a bearing going out. It is doubtful that it is actually the blower motor, but it's the only sound I've heard that's similar. It comes and goes; is NOT dependent on engine speed and always has the same tone (or pitch), which is rather low and fluttery. I would also describe it as a lower-pitched version of the suction device used at the dentist office. Absent of motor noise, it could remind you of the sound at the end of a vacuum hose. It typically starts unexpectedly and lasts only 3-5 seconds. It's loud enough to be heard from the backseat. My 80-year old mother-in-law heard it, as did my son. As the driver, I can almost "feel" it.

We have taken it back to the dealer but the service department there is nowhere near as competent as the sales department was in selling us the car. They drove it for 70 miles and tried to give it back with a shrug, "never heard a thing". We insisted they keep it and drive it so one of their service tech's drove it back and forth to work, putting another 200 miles on the car. Nothing.

We drive it approximately 70 miles round-trip to work and hear it every day. It sometimes seems tied to acceleration; other times it seems to come on when following a car or in windy conditions. Never lasts long, never sounds different (it's either making the noise or it isn't). It only happens at speed over 30 mph, never when sitting still. I've tried changing things; turning off cruise control, varying the speed of the blower fan, turning the wheel slightly left or right when it happens (or trying to make it happen), etc.

I'm at a loss, so I came here to see if anyone else has experienced this. On a side note, we were loaned another Envision while ours was being evaluated. Our loaner was a non-turbo car and never made a sound similar to ours.

Hello dale_z28,

We regret to hear of your Envision’s noise concerns. This is certainly not the experience that we want our customers to have. Unfortunately, we’re unable to speculate on the technical aspects of your concern as we’re not trained technicians. However, we would be more than happy to reach out to your dealership to gather some additional information on your concern. Or we would be more than happy to connect you with an additional dealership but we cannot guarantee a different outcome. If this is of interest to you, please provide us with your contact information, current mileage, VIN and your preferred GM dealership in a private message. To learn more about our Privacy Policy, please visit: http://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html. We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Best,
    Jerel J.
    Buick Customer Care

Thread Information