Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

buick forums  
The Premier Community for Buick Owners and Enthusiasts

Join us! It's free!

buick forums

Past Lineup: Lucerne | Roadmaster | Regal (Old) | LeSabre | Century | Park Avenue | Riviera | Reatta | Grand National
Current Lineup: Cascada | Verano | LaCrosse | Regal | Enclave | Envision | Encore
Buick Forum: UPDATE: BUILD FINALLY DONE 420WHP with 13 automatic GS. DYNO, Pics and vids...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Cool UPDATE: BUILD FINALLY DONE 420WHP with 13 automatic GS. DYNO, Pics and vids...

So I finally am updating everyone that was wanting to keep informed with my build. It's finally done and I am happy with the numbers, 420WHP I know that is just what they are but nice to have an idea. "Picture of Dyno sheet included in pics" I'll be going to the track to compare with last years run of 13.84 @ 103 1/4 mile, stock engine and internals just a tune and CAI on E85.
    BUILD list:
    New LDK block "stronger Gen 3"
    Forged Pistons
    4340 Rods
    Stock head "not ported yet"
    82# springs and retainers
    Stage 2 cams with Fuel lobes for E85
    3" downpipe
    Resonator Delete "before build"
    Stock mufflers "Free flowing, Quiet, do not want loud Ricey exhaust, want a Sleeper, loud enough when you get on it but no Drone when cruising."
    EFR/ZFR 7163 Turbo swap "running 24psi"
    Front mount intercooler with all piping.
    Flex fuel sensor added
    3 days of Dyno tuning.
    "First 13 Auto built to this level caused a lot of tuning issues, but was able to over come the Torque management. ZZP still only charged $150, They used my auto GS as a guinea pig for R&D for future Autos. 11&12's are not able to make this much power, Different TCM and will only make about 360whp. So ZZP was able to learn a lot from the build and Matt was able to tune it to make the most of the build.

Here are some links to the dyno pull, and 2 other street pulls, one from a dead stop and light brake torque/boost building, and another doing a 40mph pull.
    Dyno pull:
    Street 0-100mph pull:
    Street 40-100mph pull:

Screenshot_20170513-171754.jpg20170510_123621.jpg20170510_123711.jpg20170510_123638.jpg20170510_123726.jpg20170509_091550.jpg20170509_091604.jpg20170510_104737.jpg
    Last edited by [email protected]; May 18th, 2017 at 09:29 AM.
    420WHP-369WTQ 13' CRNFD GS
    New LDK Gen 3 block,Forged pistons,4340 rods,Stage 2 Cams with fuel lobes E85,82# springs with retainers,EFR 7163 Turbo "24psi",ZZP 3" downpipe with cats,Resonator delete (previously done),Stock mufflers (flow great, nice sound and quiet cruising with no drone),ZZP Front mount intercooler,ZZP E85 flex fuel kit,HP Tuner,K&N CAI
    Maxton Designs Front splitter, 20' Vossen Gloss grapite CVT's

Walt G is offline Full Member My Buick(s): '12 Regal GS

Re: UPDATE: BUILD FINALLY DONE 420WHP with 13 automatic GS. DYNO, Pics and vids...

Very nice. Let us know what you think of the street drivability with that turbo (wondering mostly about low end response/lag).

And with that ethanol sensor, will the tune adjust (pull boost/timing) when the E concentration is low? I guess that's a dumb question... why else would it be there? But that's pretty cool. I worry about an E-85 conversion because I know E-85 isn't always E-85 around here.

And I'd really like to know how you guys (not just you) are putting power down below 60 mph. I just have a 93-octane tune on a stock engine with a downpipe, and I spin the tires all the way through 2nd gear (up to 60 mph).

And I have an LSD in the trans (although I doubt that helps much in straight line acceleration), and decent summer performance tires (Hankook Ventus RS2).

Maybe all the roads around here are just slippery. I'll have to try a proper drag strip someday.

Anyways, nice build.
    '12 GS, Quicksilver, 6MT, Nav, Sunroof, 19's, Trifecta tune, backup camera mod., LED DRLs in bumper vents, Wavetrac LSD, Sachs Performance Clutch upgrade, Werks shorty downpipe.

3. Re: UPDATE: BUILD FINALLY DONE 420WHP with 13 automatic GS. DYNO, Pics and vids...

Quote Originally Posted by Walt G View Post
    Very nice. Let us know what you think of the street drivability with that turbo (wondering mostly about low end response/lag). I went back and forth about either the 6758 or the 7163, but I decided to go bigger or go home since I was building everything else up also. Plus I got the track a handful of times each season. I have yet to run this build yet, hoping for 12's on street tires. 13.84 @103 last on E85 and streets.."shitty Goodyear RSA's 2.0 60'. So to answer your question... The lag is definitely there, it doesn't start spooling til about 3,000-3,500 and Full boost comes on fast and hard at 4,000 so be ready!! As you can see in the street pull videos I posted on youtube, just for that reason...there wasn't very many when I was looking to help decide. It's a very easy car to drive still around town, can be a pooch if it doesn't downshift "I have an auto" and the boost hasn't built up. I use the sportshift a lot. For someone who just wants the power and not go to the strip, I would go with the 6758, esp for in town. One nice this about the 7163 is ...at the strip I should be already rolling when those 24 pounds of boost hits and hopefully limited wheel spin with the stickiness of the track.

And with that ethanol sensor, will the tune adjust (pull boost/timing) when the E concentration is low? I guess that's a dumb question... why else would it be there? But that's pretty cool. I worry about an E-85 conversion because I know E-85 isn't always E-85 around here.
    Ya, I added the flex fuel kit for 2 reasons. Incase of limited availablility if ever traveling, and the other was for the low E% content in winter or startions. It will adjust the timing, boost and fuel trims accordingly after some dyno tuning. Matt at ZZP even had me data log and sent back an updated file according to my local Stations ethanol content. which my local stations is consistently E70-80 all year..
    And I'd really like to know how you guys (not just you) are putting power down below 60 mph. I just have a 93-octane tune on a stock engine with a downpipe, and I spin the tires all the way through 2nd gear (up to 60 mph). Trust me I feel your pain, at the track it is completely different, It basically chirps and then hooks, once you play around with the air pressure, 1 pound up or down can make a different between runs, I think I found 24 psi was the best for me on Goodyear RSAs, running a 2.0 60' is about the best you can do on streets. Now I have BFG G-force Comp 2's for winter and summer, They scored high as a ultra high performance all season tire. So with this build and those tires I'll have to see how it does. I will post times on here for sure once I hit the track.

And I have an LSD in the trans (although I doubt that helps much in straight line acceleration), and decent summer performance tires (Hankook Ventus RS2).

Maybe all the roads around here are just slippery. I'll have to try a proper drag strip someday.

Anyways, nice build.
    Thanks it's been a long build and I love it, plus the car is starting to look like a modern day Grand National.

Re: UPDATE: BUILD FINALLY DONE 420WHP with 13 automatic GS. DYNO, Pics and vids...

Everything with you build is simply "sick". Love what you have done with it and can't wait to hear how your updated strip and track numbers come in.

stoopid is offline Full Member My Buick(s): 2015 Regal 2.0T FWD

After the mods and addons, how much of the original engine is left?

I'll be curious to see how long the transmission holds out with that much power.

Those pull videos are sick, that's frickin' fast. Based on that 0-100 video, looks like you're around 5 seconds 0-60? That puts you into some nice company.

6. Re: UPDATE: BUILD FINALLY DONE 420WHP with 13 automatic GS. DYNO, Pics and vids...

I will post time slips when I do, I might try some 20,40,60 mph roll racing the 30th if this month at Cordova drag strip 5pm-12am from a dig is definitely going to be hard on the trans.
    Quote Originally Posted by quern View Post
    Everything with you build is simply "sick". Love what you have done with it and can't wait to hear how your updated strip and track numbers come in.

7. Re: UPDATE: BUILD FINALLY DONE 420WHP with 13 automatic GS. DYNO, Pics and vids...

Well... Let's see, new block,
    new forged Pistons, rods,
    cams, springs, head, turbo, DP, .... So that leaves the crank? Lmao ya that's about it!

The trans is Definitely the weak link now, so far it's handling it just fine, shifts are firm and fast, not slamming or hard. Haven't done to many digs... Figured if I'm gonna break it I want to try and get a few runs in first. Lol but hopefully it holds up. I'll keep every one posted and will be the test pilot. Lol

It definitely pulls hard and comes on all at once when 4,000 hits! Just like the videos show... Not much torque steer at all...
    But still a have full! I love it!
    Quote Originally Posted by stoopid View Post
    After the mods and addons, how much of the original engine is left?

I'll be curious to see how long the transmission holds out with that much power.

Those pull videos are sick, that's frickin' fast. Based on that 0-100 video, looks like you're around 5 seconds 0-60? That puts you into some nice company.

jwmuscat is offline Full Member My Buick(s): 2012 Buick Regal GS, 6spd manual. white diamond

Those tailights!

GOT2B GM is offline Full Member My Buick(s): 2012 Regal GS 6MT, 1997 LeSabre Custom Supercharged

nice build!
    '12 Buick Regal GS Turbo White diamond tricoat, F40 6 spd, NAV, 20's for summer and 19's for winter
    GMPP Stage Kit, BNR tuned, ZZP Catted DP, Forge BOV, P3cars VIDI, Maxton Designs splitter, rear window lip spoiler.
    250 whp, 308 ft lbs

'97 Buick LeSabre Custom Top swapped L36, SD headers, ZZP MPS 3.6, AL605's, 180 stat, Magnaflow muffler.

10. Re: UPDATE: BUILD FINALLY DONE 420WHP with 13 automatic GS. DYNO, Pics and vids...

Remove this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by jwmuscat View Post
    Those tailights!
    Thanks use to paint at a body shop. I just masked off were the lights actually light up and painted myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by GOT2B GM View Post
    nice build!
    Thanks, was a long build but I'm happy with the results.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information