Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

buick forums  
The Premier Community for Buick Owners and Enthusiasts

Join us! It's free!

buick forums

Past Lineup: Lucerne | Roadmaster | Regal (Old) | LeSabre | Century | Park Avenue | Riviera | Reatta | Grand National
Current Lineup: Cascada | Verano | LaCrosse | Regal | Enclave | Envision | Encore
Buick Forum: Top swapped 97 LeSabre
    GOT2B GM is offline Full Member My Buick(s): 2012 Regal GS 6MT, 1997 LeSabre Custom Supercharged

Top swapped 97 LeSabre

FINALLY got around to top swapping the 97 LeSabre. SD headers, ZZP MPS w. 3.6 pulley, drilled 180 t-stat, Autolite 605's @ 0.050", ZZP cone filter.

Some pics:

All torn down and cleaned up

Heads, intake and valve covers on

Headers fitted.

Had to utilize a w-body 4t65e transmission dipstick for header crossover pipe clearance.

Had to use an earlier style h-body shockless front trans mount for header clearance, through bolted it so it doesnt rip itself apart.

Added 1" spacers to the drivers side cooling fan motor for header clearance.

Added 2nd vacuum port to L67 throttle body for 4T60e vacuum modulator.

All cleaned up and painted

All buttoned up

OEM buick SC badge

Drove it about 100 km just nice and easy. Ran well. Had some KR on highway inclines that was creeping up, timing tables too aggressive. Just sent my PCM out for some fine tuning. Looking forward to driving the car.
    '12 Buick Regal GS Turbo White diamond tricoat, F40 6 spd, NAV, 20's for summer and 19's for winter
    GMPP Stage Kit, BNR tuned, ZZP Catted DP, Forge BOV, P3cars VIDI, Maxton Designs splitter, rear window lip spoiler.
    250 whp, 308 ft lbs

'97 Buick LeSabre Custom Top swapped L36, SD headers, ZZP MPS 3.6, AL605's, 180 stat, Magnaflow muffler.

HotZ28 is offline Full Member My Buick(s): 1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU

Re: Top swapped 97 LeSabre

Nice job!! A few questions before you start tuning the PCM? Did you change the injectors to 36-lb rating, or higher? Why did you not install Autolite 104 (colder) plugs, instead of 605's? The 605's are a hotter plug and could contribute to KR. What was the KR % at WOT?
    Last edited by HotZ28; May 20th, 2017 at 12:00 AM.

1996 PA Ultra Series II - 3.4 pulley (11.5 psi boost), Autolite 104's, MSD coils & wires, 160 deg. T-stat. Flashed '97 PCM, Lucerne 17" Chrome Wheels
    Cold air is OK.....Turbo Charging is better....but, I'd rather be Blown!!

GOT2B GM is offline Full Member My Buick(s): 2012 Regal GS 6MT, 1997 LeSabre Custom Supercharged

Quote Originally Posted by HotZ28 View Post
    Nice job!! A few questions before you start tuning the PCM? Did you change the injectors to 36-lb rating, or higher? Why did you install Autolite 104 (colder) plugs, instead of 605's? The 605's are a hotter plug and could contribute to KR. What was the KR % at WOT?
    Stock GTP injectors

AL 605's are colder than stock L67 plugs but yeah, hotter than 104's. I do have a set of 104's that I might put in if I continue to have KR issues after the timing advance tables have been adjusted.

My issue with KR was at part throttle, it would clear up for the most part at WOT

HotZ28 is offline Full Member My Buick(s): 1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU

Are you watching KR on a scanner? If so what % are you showing?? Did you install the ZZP L36 Supercharger Kit? If so, why was the T/B with duel vacuum ports not included?? Is that something they missed?

Watching KR on a scan gauge . Up to 3-4 degrees on part throttle inclines at highway speeds. This is a top swap combined from parts from a 98 Regal GS and a 97 Bonneville SSEi. Not a kit from zzp. I could have used a throttle body from a 96 L67 hbody. But that's a one year only 21 year old part. Hard to find.

Wow. Cool project. Would love to do this to mine, but there's that $$ and time (and talent, too) thing.

How noticeable is the difference?

Quote Originally Posted by GOT2B GM View Post
    Watching KR on a scan gauge . Up to 3-4 degrees on part throttle inclines at highway speeds. This is a top swap combined from parts from a 98 Regal GS and a 97 Bonneville SSEi. Not a kit from zzp. I could have used a throttle body from a 96 L67 hbody. But that's a one year only 21 year old part. Hard to find.
    You should have 0 KR at POT, and no more than +2 WOT, you obviously need a tune and some other fuel modifications! You need to get that Engine/PCM tuned to the existing modifications, before you destroy the engine. The PCM will try to correct K/R and correct for it, but if it is out of range of the OEM correction parameters, only a tune will help.

Remove this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by HotZ28 View Post
    You should have 0 KR at POT, and no more than +2 WOT, you obviously need a tune and some other fuel modifications! You need to get that Engine/PCM tuned to the existing modifications, before you destroy the engine. The PCM will try to correct K/R and correct for it, but if it is out of range of the OEM correction parameters, only a tune will help.
    Tune is happening this weekend.

Thread Information