• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

“Rioja Red” is Brown

Abbott Martin

Buick Boomer
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence DC1, DC2, S&S, Sunroof in Rouge Brown over Ebony
Rioja Red is known as Rouge Brown in Europe. When comparing it with brown on a color palette, it does seem to be closer to brown than true red. Maybe Buick was afraid to admit they were selling a brown station wagon? Here is a photo for comparison: Deep Red is to the left & Faux-Christmas Brown to the right. A43477DB-1010-4B4A-A530-0D036D7FC0E5.jpeg

RegalMN

Minnesota
Buick Ownership
'18 Regal Sportback Essence
So hard to compare web/screen colors and colors in the real world. I just peeked in the garage...my rioja red Regal is definitely not brown. It's maybe a slight maroon but it's definitely more red than maroon.

Abbott Martin

Buick Boomer
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence DC1, DC2, S&S, Sunroof in Rouge Brown over Ebony
So hard to compare web/screen colors and colors in the real world. I just peeked in the garage...my rioja red Regal is definitely not brown. It's maybe a slight maroon but it's definitely more red than maroon.
True; I just entered in the color code of the car. It was called Brown for years in Europe. Perhaps the metallic also has an effect on the color’s appearance? E0E3CBE1-9AED-4584-BDAB-146A1E22FD81.jpeg

Last edited:

PrincipalDan

Gallup, NM
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
washed tourx front.jpg

Tour X GPM parking lot.jpg
Mustang and TourX.jpg

Rioja Red is red like "red wine" is red.

For comparison here is my 1967 Mustang in Vintage Burgundy. I have no quarrel with the color brown and auto makers have been making some shades on the copper spectrum lately but Rioja Red is red.

Anaduff

Associate Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
St. Paul, Minnesota
Buick Ownership
2019 Insignia GS, 2003 Jaguar X-Type
Vauxhall calls it Rioja Red (I'm not sure GM had any input in naming the colours). As per Opel, I think if a German tried to pronounce 'rioja' they would damage their tounge, hence 'Rouge Brown'; in France it's 'Rouge Basque'.

ZB Commodore Owner

Hamilton, New Zealand
Buick Ownership
2019 Holden ZB Commodore RSV Liftback 3.6 AWD
Holden also calls it Roija Red*. We also have Absolute Red, Darkmoon Blue*, Nitrate Silver*, Abalone White (pearlised), Summit White, Cosmic Gray* and Mineral Black*.

* These colours have very fine metallic fleck (sparkle) finish. In the case of Mineral Black (which I have) it depends on what angle you view it from. From some angles it looks like a solid black without any fleck.

I suspect the colours we have here are the same as in North America though in some cases the names might be different.

LLninja

Greenback Troll #1
Illini country, surrounded by bean fields
Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal TourX Essence
Holden also calls it Roija Red*. We also have Absolute Red, Darkmoon Blue*, Nitrate Silver*, Abalone White (pearlised), Summit White, Cosmic Gray* and Mineral Black*.

* These colours have very fine metallic fleck (sparkle) finish. In the case of Mineral Black (which I have) it depends on what angle you view it from. From some angles it looks like a solid black without any fleck.

I suspect the colours we have here are the same as in North America though in some cases the names might be different.
US names are
Rioja Red Metallic (Red) Quicksilver Metallic (Silver) Summit White (White)
Ebony Twilight Metallic (Black) Darkmoon Blue Metallic (Blue) Sport Red (Red)
White Frost Tricoat (Off-white) Smoked Pearl Metallic (Gray)

RegalMN

Minnesota
Buick Ownership
You are sport red.
Also known as pull me over, officer, red. :p
My rioja red sportback just got me my 1st speeding ticket of my life back in June. Chose to pull me over instead of the black Toyota SUV that was going even faster than me. So there may be some truth to that.

FavaBean

DE
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
The old Toyota Celica commercials were pretty funny depicting the "arrest me" red phenomenon.

Last edited:

bloomer

Stillwater Mn.
Buick Ownership
TourX (Red Needle)
The pic next to my name was a red 70 Boss 302 that had some massaging done. Lowered,koni’s,relocated upper control arms, b&b engine. Was pulled over once warning only(paddock pass for BIR)

LLninja

Greenback Troll #1
Buick Ownership
I look at all the paint colors available on most cars today and am really surprised how everything seems to be black, gray, silver and white. Yes, I know red cars tend to get more tickets, but o pretty much drive the speed limit.

When I got my first car, a Toyota Supra, I was driving 80-90mph when the speed limit was 55. Then I bought a Passport radar detector. That thing saved me from ever getting a ticket, but not in the way you’d think. After getting the radar detector, I was so afraid of the cop seeing me with the detector and deciding to throw the book at me, so I slowed down to the speed limit. Within a year, someone broke into my car, shattered the driver window, and stole the detector and all the cash (a roll of quarters for toll money). I never replaced the radar detector and never reverted back to speeding. Today, I go from zero to the speed limit with vigor, but really have no desire to go any faster.

I did get one speeding ticket in Chicagoland when I used to live there, but it was an anomaly. I was driving southbound down Lake Shore Drive, keeping with the traffic that was all travelling 65mph in a 45 zone. It was the weekend of the auto show and everyone exited except me (I was headed to the museum of science and industry) and Chicago’s finest was waiting there for me (and everyone else that day who happened to get caught in that trap). So a 4 hour safety training class later (that only lasted 30 min) and the ticket was off my records. parting words from the instructor “remember, this I was a 4 hour class”

Last edited:

RegalMN

Minnesota
Buick Ownership
I look at all the paint colors available on most cars today and am really surprised how everything seems to be black, gray, silver and white. Yes, I know red cars tend to get more tickets, but o pretty much drive the speed limit.

When I got my first car, a Toyota Supra, I was driving 80-90mph when the speed limit was 55. Then I bought a Passport radar detector. That thing saved me from ever getting a ticket, but not in the way you’d think. After getting the radar detector, I was so afraid of the cop seeing me with the detector and deciding to throw the book at me, so I slowed down to the speed limit. Within a year, someone broke into my car, shattered the driver window, and stole the detector and all the cash (a roll of quarters for toll money). I never replaced the radar detector and never reverted back to speeding. Today, I go from zero to the speed limit with vigor, but really have no desire to go any faster.

I did get one speeding ticket in Chicagoland when I used to live there, but it was an anomaly. I was driving southbound down Lake Shore Drive, keeping with the traffic that was all travelling 65mph in a 45 zone. It was the weekend of the auto show and everyone exited except me (I was headed to the museum of science and industry) and Chicago’s finest was waiting there for me (and everyone else that day who happened to get caught in that trap). So a 4 hour safety training class later (that only lasted 30 min) and the ticket was off my records. parting words from the instructor “remember, this I was a 4 hour class”
But when you're on an empty highway and the car has so much more to give....

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
While it's from 2015 it's still interesting on percentage, but it's also somewhat reflective in number of colors sold.
10jpg-242dd98e47e248b0.jpg

LLninja

Greenback Troll #1
Buick Ownership
While it's from 2015 it's still interesting on percentage, but it's also somewhat reflective in number of colors sold.
View attachment 31980
I predict the blue numbers will go down as many car manufacturers droppedblue from their available colors. Plus if you use any car site to search for a new popular models like a Chevy Silverado, you will find plenty of white, red, silver, gray, but very few blue

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
"Any customer can have a car painted any color that he wants so long as it is black."
Henry Ford

Get your turbo buick badge right here!
Protect your vehicle from code scanners