03 Lesabre Grand Touring Suspension

Irish

Buick Ownership
2003 Park Avenue, 2003 Buick Leabre Limited
Thread starter #1
I purchased a 2003 Lesabre Limited Celebration Edition last summer. It has the 16" chrome wheels and the Grand Touring suspension. The ride is more firm than what I care for. My other Buick now is a 2003 Park Avenue that has the "Soft Ride" suspension. I had an 05 Lesabre Limited a few years back that had 15" wheels and I was always very happy with the ride.

It seems like the firmer ride is more than just due to the 16" wheels. My Park Avenue also has 16" wheels and the ride is more compliant. The car has 42,000 miles on it and shocks and struts are original as far as I know. Right now if I had to replace the tires I would probably go to 15" wheels.

Can anyone here tell me how the Grand Touring Suspension is different from the standard suspension?

HotZ28

Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU
It seems like the firmer ride is more than just due to the 16" wheels.
Wheels have nothing to do with the ride! It is all in the effect of the suspension components. GTS has firmer struts/springs & sway bar. The firmer ride is part of that system. Do not mess with the GTS suspension, unless you have problems with it. You should have a great ride (firmer) with the GTS suspension.

Irish

Buick Ownership
2003 Park Avenue, 2003 Buick Leabre Limited
Thread starter #4
are you running the cold tire pressure listed on the drivers side door post?
The recommended pressure is 30 psi. I have them up around 34, which is where I have them on my Park Ave, which also recommends 30. Might have something to do with how I drive, but if I don't put a little extra pressure in the tires they wear on the outsides like they are underinflated.

The ride is still pretty good compared to anything else I have driven lately except for my Park Ave. It is night and day better than my wife's 2017 Sonata Limited.

As far as the tires not mattering, I blame the shorter sidewall tires for the rough ride of every new car we have tried. To me it seems the larger the aluminum wheels and the shorter the tire sidewall the worse the ride. And the more loaded the car the bigger the aluminum wheels. GRRRRRR.... We owned 2013 and 2016 Buick Lacrosses and I didn't care for the ride with either one. The Lesabre and Park Ave we have now came out of California and hadn't seen road salt. Both are in very good shape for being 15 years old. If buying old cars for 1/5 the price of a new car is what I have to do to get a good ride that is what I will be doing. I could afford to buy new and the safety features of the newer cars would be worth the upgrade if the ride quality was there, but the rough ride is a deal breaker for me. GM used to make some nice riding cars, but not anymore. I have had 6 Lesabres, 2 Park Avenues, Vibe, a Regal, A DTS, A Bonneville, 2 Suburbans, a Cutlass Cruiser and a Firebird. The ride quality was good until I tried the Lacrosses. Wasn't thrilled with the Vibe or the DTS either. Are you reading this GM??

I am not positive what tire the touring suspension came with on the Celebration. The standard suspension came with Michelin Symmetry tires. Those were great. When i put on Michelin Harmony IIRC, they were stiffer because they had a higher speed rating than the Symmetry.

The touring suspension also came with a higher numerical final drive ration, making it a little peppier IIRC.

I'd take a good look at the tires you chose. Are the Symmetry tires still available from Michelin?

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.