03 Lesabre won't start.

Debra

Buick Ownership
2003 Lesabre
Hey y'all. My sister's car isn't playing nice at all. Turn the key, it just clicks. Battery is good, just got done replacing the starter. I've checked fuses, checked ground wires, as well as I could find them. Any thoughts?

HotZ28

Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU
How do you know the battery is good, have you had it load tested? Are both the battery connection clean & tight?

Debra

Buick Ownership
2003 Lesabre
How do you know the battery is good, have you had it load tested? Are both the battery connection clean & tight?
Connections are both. I did notice when I checked the maintenance book I keep its been longer than I realized since I had it tested, so it's going tomorrow. However, I did attempt to start it in neutral which I hadn't even thought of, and she tried. Thank you for answering, I really appreciate it.

HotZ28

Buick Ownership
Sounds like the battery is DOA! How old is the battery?

HotZ28

Buick Ownership
Do you have a meter to test the volts? If it is below 12v, it is nearly dead! 12.67v is a full charge. That does not mean that the battery will pass a load test.

Last edited:

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Jump starting the car may be a option to consider and confirm it's the battery or something else.

Homer Jay

New York
Buick Ownership
2001 LeSabre
I believe if the engine cranks but will not start, the security system is not the problem. Check for spark and fuel.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Fuel, air, spark, computer and unfortunately if any one of those has a issue it's. Toss in a unkown gremlin and it's back to basic troubleshooting each system. Trying another ignition key on some cars works and not on others.

Start with spark, then fuel and then air. Was the CEL on before not starting? A clogged fuel filter will cause a no start also.

Debra

Buick Ownership
2003 Lesabre
Fuel, air, spark, computer and unfortunately if any one of those has a issue it's. Toss in a unkown gremlin and it's back to basic troubleshooting each system. Trying another ignition key on some cars works and not on others.

Start with spark, then fuel and then air. Was the CEL on before not starting? A clogged fuel filter will cause a no start also.
Its getting fuel, I checked that. Tried checking for spark, got a loud ' pop ', and I jumped, but didn't see a spark. It could have, but I was jumping back.

Homer Jay

New York
Buick Ownership
2001 LeSabre
Before you replaced the starter did the engine run without any issues? If this is a new problem recheck your work, recheck related fuses in the engine compartment and under the back seat.

Debra

Buick Ownership
2003 Lesabre
Before you replaced the starter did the engine run without any issues? If this is a new problem recheck your work, recheck related fuses in the engine compartment and under the back seat.
I'd pulled the starter to get it tested because all I was getting was clicks. It tested as good, but then I dropped it on concrete and had to buy a new one. I also realized I'm going about this backwards. We were on the highway when she just stopped working. Cruised to the shoulder and had to tow her home. What could do that?