03 Lesabre won't start.

Debra

Buick Ownership
2003 Lesabre
I don't know. I'll have to check after work.
Nope, tach sits still when I crank. I just got a spark plug tester and I'm getting spark. Guess I'll go price the sensor.

Debra

Buick Ownership
2003 Lesabre
Well, I'm feeling a bit stupid with this question. But here it is. How much play should be in the belt? There's no cracks or anything that I can find, but I can squish it together by an inch. I had a tape measure when I did it. If the belt is too loose, it won't kick in the sensor, will it?

Homer Jay

New York
Buick Ownership
2001 LeSabre
No, a loose serpentine belt would not impact the CPS function. First check the wiring and harness to the CPS which could be the problem. However, the belt should be fairly taut and you should not be able to deflect 1 inch with hand pressure. Is the belt routing correct? Belt tensioner OK? Appears to be multiple issues, is there anything else you're omitting from the vehicle history?

Debra

Buick Ownership
2003 Lesabre
Separately, have you plugged in a scanner and checked for codes?
I bought a scanner just for this car. Most of the codes are for the ABS though, and I'll get to those after. I'm still tracing the harness to check for loose connections or frayed wires.

HotZ28

Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU
Nope, tach sits still when I crank. I just got a spark plug tester and I'm getting spark. Guess I'll go price the sensor.
If you have spark to all the plugs, the CKPS & ICM are working as designed! Have you checked fuel pressure?

Last edited:

GliderRides

3.8L Member
Buick Ownership
2000 LeSabre
What about the cam sensor and the magnet for the sensor that's glued to the cam gear? Will it still spark if the cam sensor is not working?

A *pop* was mentioned a few posts back, made me think of this sensor. The magnet is known to just fall off. Can be checked by removing the cam sensor and looking through the hole and rotating cam to the right spot.

HotZ28

Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU
The cam sensor, or the magnet loss, will not cause a No Start condition. It may fire the injectors out of sequence, but will still start and run with a slight hesitation during acceleration. The cam sensor has nothing to do with spark!