• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

04 LeSab....random trunk openings

2004 buick

Buick Ownership
04 Lesabre
I searched, but its not clear whats going on......

started like 1 week ago...........trunk seems to randomly pop open......... very strange, almost funny.

Yet I see its an issue w other Buicks as well.

Where do I start........I keep good stuff back there......and Im oft in NYC.......not good

best

me

Boosted2004SC

Iowa
Buick Ownership
2004 Park Avenue Ultra
I used to have a 97 LeSabre and the trunk would randomly open as well, it was a rough feeling to peek out the window to the trunk wide open to the world. Unfortunately I don't know the issue with that one.

But...I have an 04 PAU now and have a theory. I believe the key fobs are crazy sensitive and in your pocket can trigger the trunk to open with very little friction. I triggered mine several times and have decided to leave the fob at home now - no issues once since then.

Any chance it could be your key fob getting jostled around? I was thinking this weekend I will open up the key fob to disable the trunk button somehow (couldn't find a key fob cover).

2004 buick

Buick Ownership
04 Lesabre
thnx...Ill disconnect it first...

and re the fob, I thought that too...but one day while pumping gas it popped.....and fob was in car!..lol

imidazol97

Top Dog
The fob has a rubber cover and those buttons stick through the hard plastic front cover. and the back of it has a conductive coating that contacts the grid of contacts under it, shorting them to each other and completing the circuit to activate the signal to the trunk. Your pad may be so close to the contacts that it's touching them with little physical movement. Maybe just heating and cooling causing movement.

There is a fuse for the trunk relay--somewhere.

But that would stop the trunk opener inside the car--in the glove box IIRC.

Opening the fob and placing a small piece of plastic between the button back and the contact grid should disable that.

I bought replacement outer parts for my fob and replaced the rubber front with the buttons on Ebay when the buttons
lost their conductivity to short the grid contacts.

#############

Do you have a second key fob to use? Put the first on in the house and take the battery out of it.