05 lacrosse front end bounce and thump

Thread starter #1
Buick Ownership
05 lacrosse cxl 3800 v6
Ok so new issue, my wife's car, under acceleration and while maintaining speed, has a front end thump and kinda bounces while it's going down the road. It has uneven wear, heavy to the inside, but no noticable wobble when up on the jack. Any ideas? It's a 05 Buick lacrosse 3800 series 3.

Thread starter #3
Buick Ownership
05 lacrosse cxl 3800 v6
When have changed the struts? Seeing it's a 05, but no milage info, it's the first assumption.
123k and the struts seem fine was just in the shop for new front tires and they are worn out already. Could be unrelated but the opposite side grates while turning. I'm thinking wheel bearings but, as it's snowing here, I'm hoping not. I've already changed both rears and I've had the car less than a year.

Thread starter #4
Buick Ownership
05 lacrosse cxl 3800 v6
123k and the struts seem fine was just in the shop for new front tires and they are worn out already. Could be unrelated but the opposite side grates while turning. I'm thinking wheel bearings but, as it's snowing here, I'm hoping not. I've already changed both rears and I've had the car less than a year.
You can physically feel it bouncing inside the car and it's very obvious it's coming from the front passenger side. This car has been a headache from day one as it was neglected most of it's life. New rear wheel bearings both sides, new rear brakes and rotors, rotating tires on time. Only thing that the previous owner did that I approve of is nicop brake lines. As well as electrical Gremlins like the 12 volt sockets stopping working and the fuse being fine. One headlight stopped working so replaced the entire harness to the front end to find that the front subframe is aftermarket and the vin's don't match on anything but the rear subframe the dash and the body. This was a pieced back together auction car I picked up at a used car dealer we call crimebuyer. And it has had more issues than I can count, but this is the most pressing.

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
If it was a "salvage title" type of car, not saying it was but can't explain it better, I'm sorry to say that it may have more need of a proper inspection on sub frame. I could keep guessing but if it wasn't done correctly all the other items attached to it will be off. A alignment shop might be on the list just to get an idea of what may be needed, just offering a suggestion.

Thread starter #6
Buick Ownership
05 lacrosse cxl 3800 v6
If it was a "salvage title" type of car, not saying it was but can't explain it better, I'm sorry to say that it may have more need of a proper inspection on sub frame. I could keep guessing but if it wasn't done correctly all the other items attached to it will be off. A alignment shop might be on the list just to get an idea of what may be needed, just offering a suggestion.
That's what's weird I can tell it's had extensive work on the front end, but it isn't a salvage or r title. And the floor plan is slightly bent on that side but it drives true, well drove true till this. It now pulls to the driver's side not bad but noticable. I asked the the garage that did the tires, really nice reputable guy in my town, and he didn't find any issues with the front sub frame and he said that the floor plan isnt bent at a point that would impair the straightness of the car. It looks like the whole front end got cocked off to the pass side and the tire got embedded in the front of the floor pan. But like I said it has had no issues up untill now.

Illinois
Buick Ownership
Didn't mean it was a salvage title, just put back together from salvaged parts as a complete car. But it is also a unkown on what came from where, how good it is or true milage on those parts. The chatter could be the bearing, but the CV axle shaft would probably be a good source of that sound.

Here's a video on how to check if struts are bad, maybe you know already.

Thread starter #8
Buick Ownership
05 lacrosse cxl 3800 v6
Didn't mean it was a salvage title, just put back together from salvaged parts as a complete car. But it is also a unkown on what came from where, how good it is or true milage on those parts. The chatter could be the bearing, but the CV axle shaft would probably be a good source of that sound.

Here's a video on how to check if struts are bad, maybe you know already.
Thanks but upon further inspection I noticed something troubling with my front strut caps. That is expanding foam someone sprayed on the bottom of the cap to hide rust damage. I'm ordering a front end kit and rebuilding the whole thing so I know it's good. Upper and lower control arms, inner and outer tie rod ends, if it moves has a ball joint, bearing, or a CV joint it's getting replaced. The car is going to be down for a while anyway due to a bank 1 lean caused by a leaky head gasket so I'm rebuilding the top end and having the heads redone. Worst part is I still owe 5k on the car. My wife bought it before I could look it over and now I'm paying for it.

Attachments

Illinois
Buick Ownership
Wow that sucks, but at least you are taking the safe route. Lots of shabby work shows up on the forum, but some only want to fix the immediate one with the others waiting to show up, good luck with your project.

Thread starter #10
Buick Ownership
05 lacrosse cxl 3800 v6
Wow that sucks, but at least you are taking the safe route. Lots of shabby work shows up on the forum, but some only want to fix the immediate one with the others waiting to show up, good luck with your project.
Thank you. I already rebuilt the rear end by the time I'm done this car will be showroom worthy, But till then she's driving my truck again. 8.1gm mileage sucks in the angry eyes pickups.

HotZ28

Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU
I also have an 8.1L 2004 GM truck and I can get only 12.9 mpg on the highway, but only about 7.2 in the city stop & go traffic. I can feel your pain! Plenty of power with the tune & K&N intake, but not what I always wanted, or expected! Fortunately, gas is getting cheaper here, so that is not a problem for me at this time, but It may be a problem later when the gas price rises!

Thread starter #12
Buick Ownership
05 lacrosse cxl 3800 v6
I also have an 8.1L 2004 GM truck and I can get only 12.9 mpg on the highway, but only about 7.2 in the city stop & go traffic. I can feel your pain! Plenty of power with the tune & K&N intake, but not what I always wanted, or expected! Fortunately, gas is getting cheaper here, so that is not a problem for me at this time, but It may be a problem later when the gas price rises!
It's nearly $3 a gallon here

Rich B.

Minot, ME
Buick Ownership
2016 LaCrosse & 2013 Boss 302 Mustang
Wow, we're somewheres around $2.24 now in ME I think. Oil's still quite high maybe $2.70 or so.

Believe I recall a similiar thump sound too with a car and it was the front torsion bar, rubber grommets were worn and the bar itself would bang against frame at times.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.