• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

07 Allure chugging uphill

jmenz29

Buick Ownership
2007 Buick Allure
Hi there! So I recently moved from somewhere super flat to somewhere with lots of hills and noticed that my car chugs when going uphill. It seems like the engine is not automatically getting the power/fuel it needs to adjust to going uphill, and I noticed the rpms stay where they were and don't automatically go higher to compensate. The engine light does not come on when this happens, and the chugging stops when I give it more gas. I thought it might be the throttle body, but I had that cleaned and it still happens. My car is a 2007 Buick Allure 3.8 with a little over 140,000 kms. Any ideas would be appreciated!

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
Going up a hill may require the transmission to downshift and if you dont provide sufficient pedal movement it may not downshift.

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
Without actually driving the car it is not possible to determine if it is a real issue or a question of driving in a new area.

jmenz29

Buick Ownership
2007 Buick Allure
I think it has to be, like it is pretty violent chugging like it wants to stall out. I've driven quite a few other cars in that area and none of them do anything like that when I go over hills.

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
Did the shop that cleaned the throttle body try to find the problem or you told them to clean the throttle body?

jmenz29

Buick Ownership
2007 Buick Allure
I just asked them to clean the throttle body, I should probably add that for a while my car would sometimes stall out when I went to start it and I would have to give it gas to get it going. This issue went away when they cleaned out the throttle body but the chugging didn't seem to change at all.

Globetrot1

Buick Ownership
LaCrosse CX, (2008, first gen) 3800 V6 Series III; previous: Regal coupe (1992) 3800 V6 Series I
Another thing could be the spark plug wires. Were they changed with the tune up? Were they a good brand?

My '92 Regal 3800 would do this going up on grades on the freeway. For a split second, I thought it was the transmission. But the transmission was fine on level ground across all speed ranges, the fluid was full, and the color was perfect.

I thought about the spark plug wires and did some reading. It mentioned that this can happen when the car is under "load" - like up a hill. I had them changed at 140,000 miles and everything went back to normal. The next set didn't last as long. When it started bucking again, I knew what it was. They were replaced again at 215,000 miles.

Another thing to consider ...

oldschool

Barrie, Ont
Buick Ownership
'03 Buick LeSabre, '07 Allure CXL
Look at item 6 of this FB post. My car was stumbling on hills. I cleaned the MAF sensor. It helped but didn't fix it completely. Drove for another 1.5 years and for some reason it slowly got better but didn't disappear completely.

Globetrot1

Buick Ownership
LaCrosse CX, (2008, first gen) 3800 V6 Series III; previous: Regal coupe (1992) 3800 V6 Series I
Look at item 6 of this FB post. My car was stumbling on hills. I cleaned the MAF sensor. It helped but didn't fix it completely. Drove for another 1.5 years and for some reason it slowly got better but didn't disappear completely.

[/URL]
This is a good link with useful info. Thank you. True that this transmission would be a 4T65-E whereas the one in my '92 was probably a 4T60, without the electronic chip, so my experience between a '92 and an '07 might not be quite the same.

I'm wondering which sensors are the most commonly replaced or repaired on Series III 3800 V6s.

richardnewton

Buick Ownership
Buick
You can check the temps at front and back of cat to get an indication of how it is working. Cat replacement fixed bogging when accelerating up hills.

If you have a cylinder missing that would cause similar chugging, although that is more typical all the time IME (bad spark plug, wire, coilpack typically).

Forgot that the EGR valve and tube get clogged on these. Our 3800 ran much better after cleaning but it was a bit painful. I remember that cleared codes and engine ran much smoother afterwards but I can't remember if that related to chugging issue up hills.

Turbo Buick Badge