07 lucerne 3.8L water pump

spellman1989

Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL
Ok so my car has started overheating well I noticed my water pump pulley was wobbly. So I am going to replace the entire water pump. My question is I see in all of the videos on youtube people are removing the power steering pump. My question is removing it a necessary step or does that just provide extra space to work? I only went to youtube because I can't find a repair manual for this car at any of the auto parts stores. Any help is greatly appreciated. TYIA

spellman1989

Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL
The power steering pump blocks access to the rear one or two bolts. The PS pump is held on with two bolts. It HAS to come off.
Oh OK thank you! Also where would I find a new pulley? All the auto parts store here don't have them in their system. Or is the old pulley reusable?

Mad_Coachman

Baldwin, New York
Buick Ownership
2002 LeSabre Limited
Your pulley is probably just loose or your water pump is REALLY bad.
There's a good reason that auto parts stores don't stock the pulley. They don't go "bad".

Last edited:

Mad_Coachman

Baldwin, New York
Buick Ownership
2002 LeSabre Limited
About removing your PS pump: The two bolts holding it on are hidden. There are access holes though. Removing is pretty easy. Getting it back on is a little more difficult as you have to "feel" for the bolt holes on the engine block.

spellman1989

Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL
Another somewhat related question. The antifreeze bubbles in the top of radiator. Would this cause something like that along with temperature rising on dash very quickly or would that be more toward the head gasket area?

Mad_Coachman

Baldwin, New York
Buick Ownership
2002 LeSabre Limited
You may just have to bleed the air out. There is a small screw on the top of the thermostat housing to accomplish the air bleeding. Just crack it open slightly as the engine comes up to operating temperature (195) and wait until the small bubbles stop coming out. When there are no more bubbles tighten the screw.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
You need to burp the entire system as air pockets can still be the heater core along with the block. It might take several times to get the air out of the system.

Mad_Coachman

Baldwin, New York
Buick Ownership
2002 LeSabre Limited
I forgot to mention to run your heater on high while you perform the air bleeding. I just run it with the radiator cap off to burp the system of all the air bubbles but some people prefer to use the bleeder screw.

spellman1989

Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL
Will it make a difference if the heater doesn't get hot even when on high?

Mad_Coachman

Baldwin, New York
Buick Ownership
2002 LeSabre Limited
If your heater doesn't blow hot then you may have a blockage in your heater core. A flush of your heater core may be in order. Better yet flush the whole system.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
It could be you may have air in the heater core if the engine has reached full operating temperature. If it was a problem before the water pump installation then it would be a problem after so it will still need to be addressed.

But make sure the system is clear of air before fixing something that may not be a problem.

spellman1989

Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL
It could be you may have air in the heater core if the engine has reached full operating temperature. If it was a problem before the water pump installation then it would be a problem after so it will still need to be addressed.

But make sure the system is clear of air before fixing something that may not be a problem.
I'm not really concerned with the heater problem right now as it's summer time almost. So after I drain out all of the coolant and replace it I just burp the coolant system and go from there?

Mad_Coachman

Baldwin, New York
Buick Ownership
2002 LeSabre Limited
I'm not really concerned with the heater problem right now as it's summer time almost. So after I drain out all of the coolant and replace it I just burp the coolant system and go from there?
What part of the country do you live in?

Last edited:

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
If the heater isn't operating properly it's a possibility that air is a problem in the system, summer season has nothing to do with it. So yes it's fill and burp as many times as needed, fill overflow to the proper level and check after a couple of drives and cool downs. The bleeder valve on the engine outlet can also used to confirm no air is in the system once it's been cycled a few times.

Mad_Coachman

Baldwin, New York
Buick Ownership
2002 LeSabre Limited
If the heater core is blocked due to sediment it can cause corrosion and thus a failure which can lead to a big surprise of a damp carpet and a large puddle of coolant in your rear floor. Happened to me many years ago in rush hour traffic in my first Bonneville when it overheated during a 95 degree heatwave. Not fun. Previous owner may have used some sort of stop leak (or way too much of it). I had to replace the heater core , flush the whole system and all was fine after that.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!