• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

'13Encore Exhaust, Cat Converter &Low MPG

Encore13Owner

Buick Ownership
2013 Encore
Hello my Encore with 62k miles has been getting low MPG, and sluggish acceleration. Last year had a bad catalytic converter replaced under dealer warranty, and it seemed okay for a while but still only 23MPG and sluggish acceleration lately. I needed front flex hose replaced, resulting in slightly tighter acceleration but still reduced mpg down to 19mpg after re-setting on on the dash. Mechanic then recommended dry gas which I added. Very next day, the check engine light goes on and the diagnostic codes now says its catalytic converter. Ugh! Suggestions please? Should I take it back to the dealer to check the 9 mos old catalytic converter and/or have the flex hose repairman double-check all his work? Who do i trust? I already feel like a ping pong ball getting bounced back and forth. Do other 2013 Buick Encore owners have problems with the exhaust and catalytic converter low MPG Etc?

Encore13Owner

Buick Ownership
2013 Encore
Hello my Encore with 62k miles has been getting low MPG, and sluggish acceleration. Last year had a bad catalytic converter replaced under dealer warranty, and it seemed okay for a while but still only 23MPG and sluggish acceleration lately. I needed front flex hose replaced, resulting in slightly tighter acceleration but still reduced mpg down to 19mpg after re-setting on on the dash. Mechanic then recommended dry gas which I added. Very next day, the check engine light goes on and the diagnostic codes now says its catalytic converter. Ugh! Suggestions please? Should I take it back to the dealer to check the 9 mos old catalytic converter and/or have the flex hose repairman double-check all his work? Who do i trust? I already feel like a ping pong ball getting bounced back and forth. Do other 2013 Buick Encore owners have problems with the exhaust and catalytic converter low MPG Etc?
Upon bringing the car back for a recheck on the flex hose repair (bc check engine light came on next day w bad cat code), theyre telling me the dealer NEVER replaced the cat converter. Said it's original, datestamped 3-29-13, and these bolts couldn't have corroded this much in 12 mos. Could it???

Attachments

KevinJ

Contributing Member
Ohio
Buick Ownership
2013 Verano Premium (2.0T, AT)
I'm no expert on corrosion, but I have spent my fair share of time working on old rusty cars.
I have a hard time believing that those bolt/nuts have been touched within the last 13 months.
As for the date coding on the Cat. ... I guess it's possible that the Cat they used was older stock, but again I would have a hard time believing it.

As a side note... Whenever I have work done on a vehicle that entails getting new parts. I always try to double check the work to make sure they did indeed replace them.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Doubtful those bolts could have degraded to that level, but whatever that putty material is probably something that shouldn't be there also. Hopefully you can get it resolved.

KevinJ

Contributing Member
Ohio
Buick Ownership
I'm betting the "putty" was used as part of the flex hose repair.
Back in the late 70's early 80's when I was poor young man I used similar stuff to repair mufflers, tail and exhaust pipes.

Encore13Owner

Buick Ownership
2013 Encore
I'm no expert on corrosion, but I have spent my fair share of time working on old rusty cars.
I have a hard time believing that those bolt/nuts have been touched within the last 13 months.
As for the date coding on the Cat. ... I guess it's possible that the Cat they used was older stock, but again I would have a hard time believing it.

As a side note... Whenever I have work done on a vehicle that entails getting new parts. I always try to double check the work to make sure they did indeed replace them.
Thank you, Kevin!

Encore13Owner

Buick Ownership
2013 Encore
Thank you, Kevin!
Finally got the car into my local Buick dealer. Says the P420 code is actually "historic" and the real problem is the alternator, an $800 repair. I cant afford that, and am not sure what to do. This seems such a twist of events that dont make sense to me.

KevinJ

Contributing Member
Ohio
Buick Ownership
Finally got the car into my local Buick dealer. Says the P420 code is actually "historic" and the real problem is the alternator, an $800 repair. I cant afford that, and am not sure what to do. This seems such a twist of events that dont make sense to me.
Try an independent shop instead of the dealership.
If they do not list the parts and labor separately on the quote, ask them to.

Also ask them the price difference between a new OEM GM alternator and a re-manufactured alternator.
Note: Make sure it is a re-manufactured part and not a rebuilt part. There is a difference!!
Re-manufactured should be cheaper than OEM... BUT!!! I have seen instances where prices for a re-manufactured part were as much or more than a new OEM. I have no idea why...?

A new GM Alternator from the online GM OEM parts retailers go for around $250 + shipping.
List price is $468, but NOBODY should pay list price for these parts.
It almost sounds like the dealership was trying to charge you full list price for the alternator.
The OEM GM Alternator Part # is: 13597226

Good Luck!!

Last edited:

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
P420 code is a little hard to get it to the alternator as the problem. Either it's a mistaken code # or they have the alternator mixed up from another vehicle. I would ask them to explain how that code is used to determine it's the alternator. Seeing the "work" of the previous repair an exaust leak would be more likely than a alternator, just my two cents.

Riz

Buick Ownership
2017 Encore AWD
The whole dealer experience sounds like a bunch of BS to me. An active Code will clear after 3 consecutive drive cycles once the problem is repaired and the light would go out. The pictures are disturbing if a GM dealer actually did that work. Flat out incompetent in my opinion.

Pedal Commander