16 Buick Regal GS AWD LTG - Complete Engine failure 2x in 3000 miles

rolln2low4u

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Thread starter #1
October 2017, I bought a used 2016 GS AWD with about 15k miles on it. Fully loaded in great shape. Note, I dont drive slow, but I also dont beat the hell out of my cars and i take great care of them.

In Nov 2017, At 17k miles, while driving on the highway and passing a semi truck, I shot piston 3 into the intake and destroyed the motor. GM completely replaced the motor, turbo, intercooler, and cat. Got the car back, seemed fine. A week later, my oil pressure went to zero, but it turned out to be a sensor issue. Dealer took care of it. In March 2018, 3000 miles later, while getting on the highway, motor starting running rough. Took it back to dealer. Compression should be around 140. Only have 70 in cylinder 3, around 100 in cylinders 1 and 2, and around 140 in cylinder 4. Right now waiting on results from the teardown to see next steps.

Really regretting buying it now and hoping GM is going to do something for me. In 20 years of driving, all I have owned is GM products and had great success.

Will provide updates.

rolln2low4u

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Thread starter #3
I never run less than 91 octane. It's the highest pump gas available where I live. And predominately also go to top different gas stations, both are large company reputable brands. My wife's car uses the same two as well without any issues.

shs92645

Buick Ownership
2013 Regal GS, Smokey Grey, auto, 19”, Nav
Is the vehicle certified? If so you should definitely be looking to be reimbursed for your purchase. If not you should be trying for that although your position is not as strong. Next best and very realistic option is to demand a complete new engine.

rolln2low4u

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Thread starter #6
It is a certified vehicle and still under warranty thankfully. They put a new engine in it last time and said they are likely going to again. But first they are trying to understand failure mode before doing so to prevent a third time. Just aggravating. Owned for 7.5 months and they have had it for 2.5 months already.

dbruce

Buick Ownership
2012 Buick Regal GS
It is a certified vehicle and still under warranty thankfully. They put a new engine in it last time and said they are likely going to again. But first they are trying to understand failure mode before doing so to prevent a third time. Just aggravating. Owned for 7.5 months and they have had it for 2.5 months already.
The piston related issues are known by GM. Had a mechanic in my car today and got on tangent discussions on this and known. Reality, sounds like there is a something possibily toasting the engine if new died that soon. CAT bad and getting sucked in via EGR?......... The issue exists.....but isn't killing engines that quickly.

HotZ28

Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU
Som Ting Wong with that vehicle. Get rid of it ASAP! Do not waste anymore time/frustration trying to fix it! File a Lemon report and have it junked.

shs92645

Buick Ownership
2013 Regal GS, Smokey Grey, auto, 19”, Nav
I had an additional thought that might work. Tell your dealer (deal with the General Manager and/or owner) that you want them to swap you into another vehicle. I work part time for a dealership and we have done this. Dealers hate bad publicity. I had a similar situation years ago with a Jetta that had 11k on it. Dealer put me in brand new vehicle - no money changed hands. They count it as a sale so everyone wins.

rolln2low4u

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Thread starter #11
Just got off the phone with the dealer, metal in the oil pan, when they pulled the head, rings on three were worn, piston 2 cracked, came loose and head the head and valves. They already ordered a new engine, this time from a different supplier who they believe doesn't have this issue. Without asking they are going to reimburse me for a month of my loan payment and reset warranties. Guess we will see what happens.

SL0WLTG

Contributing Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Buick Ownership
2015 Buick Regal LTG/AWD
That's phenomenal customer service. They could teach a thing or two to the other dealerships.

HotZ28

Buick Ownership
The loss of ability to drive your own vehicle while making payments due to items covered under warranty, should be reimbursed by GM. Good dealer you have!
They already ordered a new engine, this time from a different supplier who they believe doesn't have this issue.
I also wonder why the dealer is ordering engines from rebuilds, rather a complete brand new engine from GM?

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
I also found it strange that the dealer was going for a different source for the long block. I tried the usual parts sites, gm parts direct and tonkin online, and neither one lists a complete long block assembly and they dont even show a number for a bare block.

WK14GS

Buick Ownership
2014 Regal GS AWD
I also found it strange that the dealer was going for a different source for the long block. I tried the usual parts sites, gm parts direct and tonkin online, and neither one lists a complete long block assembly and they dont even show a number for a bare block.
Odd. GM Parts Direct does list the LTG for 2014 and 2015 - part #12669126.

I thought they were the same as the 2016...

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
I tried that number 12669126 and it shows good as you already know for the 14/15 but when you change to 16 it says does not fit and using the same site doesnt come up with a complete engine for 16.

HotZ28

Buick Ownership
I think they went to tempered glass pistons for 2016+ versus regular glass on the 2014 and 2015 models.
What happened to the quality control @ GM, to eliminate forged aluminum pistons being standard for boosted engines? Bone heads,
meat/heads, imported engines are ruining the reputation of BuicK!

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.