1969 Buick Skylark Convertible - a long journey comes to an end

2erobrd

Buick Newbie
Buick
Hi all

This is my first posting on this forum only because I know the end of my journey can certainly be the beginning of someone else.

It started 4 years ago when I set out to do a full restoration on a 69 Skylark from head to toe. What started out as an eBay purchase quickly got out of control. The restoration should have been new drive train, upholstery, light body work and then some paint but since work was moving fast it seemed like a good idea to be extra thorough. And in doing that we decided to do a rotisserie job.

This is a Missouri car so you can imagine it came along with plenty of rust issues. The motor is a 350 stock buick bored out .30, with a mild 260 cam. The heads were also gone through and rebuilt like everything else on the motor. New competition intake manifold, edelbrock 600cfm carburetor, edelbrock coil and Mallory distributor. Brand new 3 core american radiator with built in electric cooling fans, new harmonic balancer, water pump, auditor hoses, new disc brakes for the front, new power booster, new brake lines, chrome headers, drive-shaft was also rebuilt and balanced, new fuel tank, new fuel lines, frame was sand blasted and powder coated. The transmission was also rebuilt (stock) and the driveshaft and the rear end was upgraded with post traction with 373 gears (I think).

The body of the car was separated from the frame and the repairs on the shell begun back in 2012. The work required a lot of sheet metal be ordered but as we all know finding american stamped steel for a 69 buick was not as easy as it would have been if it were a mustang or a camaro. brand new floorpan, trunk, quarters and even the dash was either repaired or replaced, there is a completely restored GS hood, bucket seats and center console and shifter.

Here is where the story takes a turn. In the time it took to find the rear quarter panels work by the body shop stopped. Then I found out that the rear wheelhouses needed to be fabricated as there are none available for a convertible. Ever since then, the shop has delayed completing my car for the last 3 years.

By now I have lost all my interest in completing this GS Tribute car, while I would love to continue feeding the monster, the shop that is doing the work appears to be too busy to take my money.

So, I have hundreds of pictures of the restoration and am looking for a good solid offer for this project. Then bring your flatbed and take her away. I rather get some of my money back than continue to hope the shop will ever complete the job. I can't tell you how much I have invested in this 69 so far, I know I will not get all my money back, but I rather have someone else get a shot at finishing it for a fraction of the price rather than letting it sit at the shop.

If you are interested in this or just the rolling frame and drivetrain, make me an offer.
I have many pictures of everything so if you have any questions let me know.

thanks for Reading

Attachments

LARRY70GS

Oakland Gardens, N.Y.
98 Riviera, 70 GS455 Stg1
It is a real shame that you put all that work and money into the car and now you will most certainly take a loss on it. I urge you to reconsider your decision. I think with the right resources and advice, you can finish this project. Have a look over at www.v8buick.com There are over 38,000 members world wide, and there is no better website for 60s and 70's Buick cars. Join and post over there. You will get much more exposure there. I can link this post over there if you like, but I think once you take a look around there you might reconsider your decision. Where in Missouri are you?

2erobrd

Buick Newbie
Buick
thanks for the words of encouragement. This is my second restoration project and the other one went so smooth and quickly (if you call 2 years) that I thought "why not?" Well, all I know is that time is not as plentiful as it once was so I am just trying to be sensible and don't want this project to extend any more than it has to. I will definitely look at the V8Buick forum. Also, I am located in southern california, so not sure what gave the impression I was in Missouri, but it could have been since I mentioned my vehicle came from Iowa.
Anyhow, thanks for the advise Larry
-Erick

Sal Collaziano

Buick: World Class Luxury
Staff member
Royal Palm Beach, Florida, United States
None right now

LARRY70GS

Oakland Gardens, N.Y.
98 Riviera, 70 GS455 Stg1
thanks for the words of encouragement. This is my second restoration project and the other one went so smooth and quickly (if you call 2 years) that I thought "why not?" Well, all I know is that time is not as plentiful as it once was so I am just trying to be sensible and don't want this project to extend any more than it has to. I will definitely look at the V8Buick forum. Also, I am located in southern california, so not sure what gave the impression I was in Missouri, but it could have been since I mentioned my vehicle came from Iowa.
Anyhow, thanks for the advise Larry
-Erick
I just saw it was a Missouri car and assumed that is where you were since you didn't mention your location.:icon: In any case V8buick may give you renewed interest, I hope so at least. Or you may find a buyer there. Good luck.

Turbo Buick Badge