1971 buick skylark convertible

Phil911s

Buick Ownership
1971 BUICK SKYLARK CONVERTIBLE
I picked up this skylark a few months ago in Indiana and I love it...what I would like advice on is the suspension, its all original and for me the car sits too low..so do I do an entire suspension upgrade or I've be told I could use big block springs all around....any suggestions???

Attachments

HotZ28

Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU
Do you have a "big block" engine? If not, the springs would be heavier that an original small block. It all depends on what you want the ride & height to be!

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
I think the only 3 engines available in the 71 Skylark..

250ci (4.1 L) inline 6 cyl.
350ci (5.7 L) V8
455ci (7.5 L) V8

Very nice car you got there.

Phil911s

Buick Ownership
yes its a Buick 350 the main difference is the distributor in the front of engine...ill post more pictures later today.Mel I did check out your link for the springs thanks and if im understanding it correctly it seems like I can add inches to the springs to adjust height.

HotZ28

Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU
"Buick Skylark GS has 7 different combinations of year, body style, and engine sizes for you to choose from.
Your suspension's design depends entirely on your vehicle's weight. The same vehicle with a different body style or engine size may require different springs."

Springs For Buick Skylark GS - EATON Detroit Spring

Last edited:

LARRY70GS

Oakland Gardens, N.Y.
Buick Ownership
98 Riviera, 70 GS455 Stg1
Phil,
Very nice car. The there was only about a 150 lb difference between small and big block Buick engines (450 vs 616). Based on what I can see, looks like stock ride height to me. This chart from the 1970 Chassis manual should help. I'll add the one from the 1971 Chassis Manual as well, a bit different, not much.

I invite you to visit www.v8buick.com

Attachments

Last edited:

Phil911s

Buick Ownership
thanks for all the help.. I took a side pick of how the car sits now and one with a jack under it, I raised it 1.5'' and I like it there so it looks like I can add 1.5'' to the rear springs on the EATON DETRIOT SITE …I was under the car today and I think I need to replace all steering and suspension bushings its just too loose. any recommendations where to order from? lol I could go on and on but another thing im not crazy about is the front grill..i think the 1970 gs grill is the best looking for this body but will it bolt up?

Attachments

LARRY70GS

Oakland Gardens, N.Y.
Buick Ownership
98 Riviera, 70 GS455 Stg1
That's OK, looks good. You can order everything for the car from www.rockauto.com

1970 BUICK SKYLARK 5.7L 350cid V8 Steering Parts | RockAuto

Yes, the GS grill will fit, but it will cost you. The hood nose trim is different for the GS, but the Skylark one will work. There is also trim that fits on the GS grill. Those pieces do not usually come with the grill. I forget what that trim is called.

Flowerfield2Frt.jpg

Phil911s

Buick Ownership
so I did replace the rear springs and shocks..i ordered them from Eaton springs, it was easy and I like how the car is sitting now but does anyone have alignment specs for a 71 skylark?

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.