• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

1972 Buick Skylark Convertible in FRANCE

Sdc77

Buick Ownership
Buick Skylark Convertible 1972
Hello Everybody,
I'm a new and proud owner of this beautiful Skylark conv 72. Freshly imported from the US (Pensylvania). I'm French, living close to Paris.
I already did some work on it :
- Alternator replacement
- 18 inch American Racing Torq Thrust II wheels
- Suspension replacement

Body has been redone few uears ago, top is new, interior is new (don't really like the red touches on the vinyl, I will try to remove them). Car was originally silver blue with black interirior/top. I like it like this anyway.

I have some body work to do, I will proceed next autumn, and enjoy it as is this spring/summer.

- It has the 350-4bbl and TH350. Assuming it's a 2.73 : 1 final ratio axle gear.
It's my first US car without an overdrive transmission, and I really feel unconfortable with the engine revs high on roads, and can't even imagine bringing it to highways (80mph here in France).
I start to think about a TH200-4R swap, as it's same lengh as the TH350, and would like to keep the column shifter. Any advice on this swap ? Done before ? How to manage to get all 4 gears working with the column shifter ? Gears indicator is in the speedo gauge with D, L2, L1. I didn't find repro one with O/D indicator. Does is even exist ?

- I also need to replace the power top switch, I can't find it on the net. Is it fixable ? Can I remove the switch bezel without removing the wole dash ?

- And finally, I'm looking at some engine monitoring. I would like the optional (repro) tachometer, and hesitate between the optional (repro) Rally pack gauge ($$$$) with missing voltmeter, and a 3 gauge kit Under the dash ($), but this second option will alterate the factory look of the interior. Any advice ? What exactly should I also buy to add those gauges ? Oil and water factory senders are ok or need to be replaced ? Need to re-wire everything ?

Thank you guys.
Here are some pics (don't have yet with 18'' rims as it's raining every day since 1 month now here :( )

Attachments

Sdc77

Buick Ownership
Buick Skylark Convertible 1972
Thanks guys for your answers. I opted for a 3 gauges Under the dash and a repro tachometer. I'll take pics of installation.
Larry I will check number Under the distributor.
I don't think it's the factory engine, as I don't see serial number under the front head driver side.

One more question guys, I'm looking for those 2 trims parts. Front one is missing (driver side, it's present en passenger side), rear one has no more rubber on it. Any place to buys it ?
Thanks

Attachments

LARRY70GS

Oakland Gardens, N.Y.
Buick Ownership
98 Riviera, 70 GS455 Stg1
Thanks guys for your answers. I opted for a 3 gauges Under the dash and a repro tachometer. I'll take pics of installation.
Larry I will check number Under the distributor.
I don't think it's the factory engine, as I don't see serial number under the front head driver side.

One more question guys, I'm looking for those 2 trims parts. Front one is missing (driver side, it's present en passenger side), rear one has no more rubber on it. Any place to buys it ?
Thanks
No, those door trim pieces are not reproduced, but when you join V8buick, post in "Parts Wanted". That will be your best chance to find what you are looking for. Someone may have them NOS. V8buick is dedicated to the 60's and 70's Buick cars, and there is over 43,000 members world wide.

I am curious to see whether the distributor is a 1112109.

Turbo Buick Badge