1972 Skylark Climate Control Not Working

Scottf11961

Buick Ownership
1972 Skylark
Newbie here. Just purchased a 72 Skylark. The engine was changed to a 455-4. (Not by me). Didn't try the heat till I got it home, and I have nothing. The climate control does nothing when I turn it on. No air blowing. Nothing happens at all. I tried to test the relay, but I cant find it. Google search brings up the horn relay. So my question is, where's the relay? Or is it called a resistor? Also, where's the blower motor? It looks like the motor may be on the passenger side firewall close to the floor, I see something with vent lines but I didnt take it apart yet. Also, it does have a/c, but there is no belt on the compressor. Fine by me since I'm in NY, and its in the 30s, but need some heat. Worry about the ac down the road. Any help would be appreciated!!

LARRY70GS

Oakland Gardens, N.Y.
Buick Ownership
98 Riviera, 70 GS455 Stg1
First, go over to V8buick.com and join. That site is the best for your car hands down.

You need to buy a Chassis Manual for your car. They are widely available. You can usually find them on E bay for cheap.

There is only one high speed relay located on the firewall, behind the air cleaner. If that relay was bad, you would only have lower blower speeds, but not max blower speed. The blower resistor screws into the A/C housing in the engine compartment. The blower motor is under the fender. To replace it, you'll need to remove the fender, not an easy job. Trouble shoot everything else before you do that.

Scottf11961

Buick Ownership
1972 Skylark
First, go over to V8buick.com and join. That site is the best for your car hands down.

You need to buy a Chassis Manual for your car. They are widely available. You can usually find them on E bay for cheap.

There is only one high speed relay located on the firewall, behind the air cleaner. If that relay was bad, you would only have lower blower speeds, but not max blower speed. The blower resistor screws into the A/C housing in the engine compartment. The blower motor is under the fender. To replace it, you'll need to remove the fender, not an easy job. Trouble shoot everything else before you do that.

Thank you for your help. I did find the relay behind the air cleaner, and changed that since it was cheap enough, and looked like its never been changed. Started the car, and put the setting to max. Its working to a degree. The motor is making a whnning sound, and air is just barely coming out of the vents. An improvement from not having anything.

LARRY70GS

Oakland Gardens, N.Y.
Buick Ownership
98 Riviera, 70 GS455 Stg1
Check the resistor assembly. The fender has to come off to replace the blower motor.

G-655625

Just to update, it is working at all speeds. The person I purchased it from had the car for a long time and said the blower never worked. I changed the relay and at first it semi worked, but after using it a few times, it works at all speeds. The motor definitely needs to be replaced. It makes a loud squeezing sound for the first few seconds then works good. I did order a service manual..but im not skilled enough to remove the fender. I looked at it, but no clue.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Didn't mention if it has AC but if going through the system and looks similar to this the fan switch control can also go bad.
s-l400.jpg
s-l400 (5).jpg

Get your turbo buick badge right here!