1976 Skylark Sedan

Kyle M.

Hello all. New guy here from North Central Ohio but I've been a car guy my whole life. I'm currently looking at buying an all original '76 Skylark Sedan that is local to me. The owner says he's recently replaced the fuel filter and line from tank to filter and still has a small leak, I'm figuring that won't be a big deal to fix. The car is supposedly rust free, and runs and drives great. Something seems fishy as he's only asking $1800 but we shall see, I'm going to look at it Tuesday. My intention is for this to be a summer driver not daily but definitely driven and to maybe take it to some local shows.

I just wanted to stop by and get the forums opinion on whether there is anything in particular to look at with these cars? I've always been a Ford guy so I don't know much about GM products, let alone these Skylarks. I have a buddy who had a '78 Coupe years ago but I was never really around it enough to learn anything about them.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Can't say much as there is not much detail. It's built off the same platform as the Chevrolet Nova as the other GM Oldsmobile and Pontiac. Depending on drive train is where some of the differences between GM models differ as it was a mix and match from various divisions what went in. They were basic transportation so for the most part simple to work on and because of the Nova platform parts should still be fairly available.

Known problems all, it's a 45 year old vehicle with no information! Could be a great find or a huge black hole money pit.

Kyle M.

Thanks for the reply. I’ve thus far been lucky in avoiding bottomless money pits. So I guess I’ll wait and see how things go tomorrow.

LARRY70GS

Oakland Gardens, N.Y.
Buick Ownership
98 Riviera, 70 GS455 Stg1
Very difficult to answer the fuel line question not knowing what engine it has. Could have a V-6, or V-8. Most common mistake made with fuel lines are not using the proper wrench to loosen and tighten the fuel line where it goes into the filter housing. Most Rochester carburetors have a filter housing that screws into the carburetor body, and then a 5/8-18 fuel line fitting that screws into the filter housing. They are notoriously hard to seal if the line is bent or the inverted flare seat is damaged or lined up wrong.

Kyle M.

Very difficult to answer the fuel line question not knowing what engine it has. Could have a V-6, or V-8. Most common mistake made with fuel lines are not using the proper wrench to loosen and tighten the fuel line where it goes into the filter housing. Most Rochester carburetors have a filter housing that screws into the carburetor body, and then a 5/8-18 fuel line fitting that screws into the filter housing. They are notoriously hard to seal if the line is bent or the inverted flare seat is damaged or lined up wrong.

It's the V6 the owner never said where the current leak is just that it's a slow drip. He did mention that he's replaced the fuel pump and the lines from tank to pump.

LARRY70GS

Oakland Gardens, N.Y.
Buick Ownership
98 Riviera, 70 GS455 Stg1
It's the V6 the owner never said where the current leak is just that it's a slow drip. He did mention that he's replaced the fuel pump and the lines from tank to pump.
Both the fuel pump and carburetor have that same 5/8-18 fitting. It's easy to screw that up. You need to find out about that fuel leak, that's dangerous slow drip or not.

Kyle M.

I understand that the leak is an issue. If I do buy the car I have access to a truck and trailer to get it home.

Kyle M.

Hey everyone I almost forgot about this so I thought I'd post an update. I ended up not buying the Skylark. Being a Ford guy I ended up with another Ford. An absolute cream puff 1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI with 32,000 original miles. Maybe a Buick is still in my future someday.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
While the Skylark may have been primitive in the electronic area, the Lincoln has advanced electronics from the 1980's which isn't a plus when dealing with older vehicles, heck in newer vehicles it's a problem. Well good luck on the Lincoln.

Kyle M.

While the Skylark may have been primitive in the electronic area, the Lincoln has advanced electronics from the 1980's which isn't a plus when dealing with older vehicles, heck in newer vehicles it's a problem. Well good luck on the Lincoln.
Having owned 8 of these cars my experience is the exact opposite. The electronics are known for being exceptionally reliable on the Panther chassis cars, everyone I've owned has been a fully loaded model and I've never had one with any non functional options. The Mark VI fuel injection is incredibly simple and it only uses 3 or 4 readily available sensors.

Last edited:

Kyle M.

That's quite a leap from a '76 Skylark to an '83 Mark VI. Talk about apples and oranges!!! :D
I've owned 8 Panther chassis cars and prefer the '80-'89 Lincolns. They're basically bomb proof and I can't stay away from them.

Kyle M.

I would love to have a 77-79 Mark V but don't have the space. ;)
I was actually looking for a Mark III, IV, or V when I bought the Mark VI. A guy around the corner from me has had a immaculate '69 Mark III for sale for years but he recently doubled the price and it's just not worth it.

I learned to drive in a '78 Continental, my step father had a '79 with the 400 and while the '78 with the 460 was no rocket ship that 400 in the '79's was anemic.

I suppose I shouldn't complain too much about the Mark VI, it has overdrive and an EFI 302, it get 19-21mpg vs the 10-12 of the late 70's Continentals.

Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

Mad_Coachman

Long Island
Buick Ownership
2002 LeSabre Limited
I've been a GM all pf my life but have fond memories of working at a Lincoln Mercury dealership when these cars were new. My favorites were 460 powered. :cool:

Get your turbo buick badge right here!
Protect your vehicle from code scanners