• In the 1980s and 1990s we used AOL and Usenet. In the 2000s there were forums and message boards. In the 2010s - and until the very near future - social media. Something new is coming for Buick owners... Become an early adopter of what's next by SIGNING UP HERE. Your email address will not be sold or used in any way other than us communicating more details as we prepare for launch - and we will not communicate often.

1978 Buick Skylark

MarinePig

Buick Ownership
1978 Buick Skylark
I recently inherited my first car when my dad passed away. He had the engine rebuilt in 1991 but apparently did not have the oil pressure sending unit put back in. When I got the carburetor rebuilt, the mechanic said the oil light was on because when they rebuilt the engine, the sending unit wasn't put back. Ok, not problem. I bought one and for the life of me I can not find where it is located. I had the car up in the air, changed the oil and looked when the filter was off. Worst off is I can't even find it on the internet. If someone could help me locate it, I would be greatly appreciative.

Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

CorvairGeek

3.8L Member
The Gem State
Buick Ownership
1996, 92 Buick Century
I have searched my '84 shop manuals (Olds and Chevy, which include the later 231 V6, even an old Chilton's) and I have not been able to find a picture. IIRC, the oil pressure switch is in the vicinity of the oil pump and oil filter, just like in the picture of the timing cover (internal view) of a later Buick 3300 V6. The switch is sticking straight up, near the white wall.

Timing Cover 1a.jpg

I suspect yours may have a small plug inserted instead of the switch, making it much harder to identify. The big nut, near the oil filter on your engine, is the oil pressure regulator.

MarinePig

Buick Ownership
1978 Buick Skylark
Thank you, I'll get up under it tomorrow and check. Thank you for your time.