1985 skylark ignition trouble

85troubleshooter

Buick Ownership
skylark
Hey im new here ive had an 85 buick skylark for about 2 weeks its been sitting for 2 years i was told. who knows could be longer. Anyway when i turn the key to start nothing happens. I have replaced ignition switch plugs wires and battery. Still nothing no cranking when i turn the key. So i bypassed the ignition running a wire from starter to battery and the engine would turn but was also not getting any spark. So i decided to put a new ignition coil on and was almost positive that would work but still nothing. Only now the new ignition coil started smoking and the insides melted out. Can anyone help? What could cause this?

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Besides engine size needed, when you said ignition switch did you also look at the ignition control module?

May be getting ahead of ourselves, but why was it left and not running for 2 years?

85troubleshooter

Buick Ownership
skylark
Besides engine size needed, when you said ignition switch did you also look at the ignition control module?

May be getting ahead of ourselves, but why was it left and not running for 2 years?
From what i was told the original owner passed away and it was listed as free on craigslist . it is a 2.5 L 4 cylinder thottlebody. One igition coil and distributor

85troubleshooter

Buick Ownership
skylark

I bought an ignition controll module but i diddnt want to hook that up yet because of the situation with the coil melting because i do not know whats going on i diddnt want to fry that aswell

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
I guess I should have been clearer in that was it running when it was parked or was it parked because it wasn't running. If the latter then it's basically checking wiring and fuses then moving on to a single area and checking them out. Age of the vehicles wiring can be broken or shorting out, corrosion inside the connectors.

The module, if bad, can create a no start problem along with other items that why just confirming what been installed.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.