1986 Electra Park Ave will not start

Buick Payne

Buick Ownership
Electra Park Ave
I was driving my 86 Park Ave and it died while driving. Now it cranks but does not start. I replaced the alternator and battery but that did not work. Then I pulled a plug wire and grouded it, I was getting spark, however, I still changed the plugs and coil packs. Then I checked fuel pressure, I was running about 32psi. I changed the fuel fter and that rose to 38psi. It still had the same result after that so I changed the crank shaft position sensor and the fuel pump and nothing changed except for now I'm getting some white smoke while it cranks but it still doesn't turn over. Any advise you can give will be greatly appreciated, I'm at a loss.

Buick Payne

Buick Ownership
Electra Park Ave
Did you check for codes?
Have you done a compression test ?
I do not know how to check for codes on this. I have not checked compression either, I do not have a gage for that. I am working on it as we speak and I checked all of the wires, I am getting spark on every one. Also, I smell fuel when it is cranking.

HotZ28

Full Member Since 2005
SE
Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU 2019 Regal GS
Ok, so we can assume you have adquate fuel pressure & good blue spark to the plugs? Where & how did you test for spark? Have you pulled any of the plugs out to look for gas, or coolant flooding? If the plugs are DOA, that may be the problem? Mystery continues--

Buick Payne

Buick Ownership
Electra Park Ave
Ok, so we can assume you have adquate fuel pressure & good blue spark to the plugs? Where & how did you test for spark? Have you pulled any of the plugs out to look for gas, or coolant flooding? If the plugs are DOA, that may be the problem? Mystery continues--
I held the plug wires to a ground on the engine, some were short so I had to hold a screw driver to the metal ground and get the end of the screw driver close to the plug wire to see spark. However, all of them sparked but they weren't all blue, some were more of a yellow/white spark. I forgot to mention that I had already changed the plugs, and gapped them appropriately, when I changed the coils. The old plugs looked like normal worm plugs to me.

Buick Payne

Buick Ownership
Electra Park Ave
I held the plug wires to a ground on the engine, some were short so I had to hold a screw driver to the metal ground and get the end of the
I held the plug wires to a ground on the engine, some were short so I had to hold a screw driver to the metal ground and get the end of the screw driver close to the plug wire to see spark. However, all of them sparked but they weren't all blue, some were more of a yellow/white spark. I forgot to mention that I had already changed the plugs, and gapped them appropriately, when I changed the coils. The old plugs looked like normal worm plugs to me.
screw driver close to the plug wire to see spark. However, all of them sparked but they weren't all blue, some were more of a yellow/white spark. I forgot to mention that I had already changed the plugs, and gapped them appropriately, when I changed the coils. The old plugs looked like normal worm

Also, while cranking today, there was some white smoke coming from the air intake and I could smell fuel. It wasn't a lot of smoke though.

Mad_Coachman

Long Island
Buick Ownership
2002 LeSabre Limited 150k miles
delete post.

Last edited:

CorvairGeek

3.8L Member
The Gem State
Buick Ownership
1996, 92 Buick Century
This is an '86 so it is distributorless. The OP said he changed coil packs which could be questionable with the parts situation today.
Has this engine ever had the camshaft timing gear replaced? The 3.8 V6 (LN3) 3.8 Chain.jpg engine is notorious for the gear breaking (it is a nylon coated gear, same as light duty V8s) or the chain jumping. You can get a look at it through the camshaft position hole.

Buick Payne

Buick Ownership
Electra Park Ave
This is an '86 so it is distributorless. The OP said he changed coil packs which could be questionable with the parts situation today.
Has this engine ever had the camshaft timing gear replaced? The 3.8 V6 (LN3) View attachment 31455 engine is notorious for the gear breaking (it is a nylon coated gear, same as light duty V8s) or the chain jumping. You can get a look at it through the camshaft position hole.

Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

Buick Payne

Buick Ownership
Electra Park Ave
Did you figure it out? I'm really curious.
No, I just started working on it again and decided to try and start it up. When doing so, I heard a pop in the intake. I tried again and pumped the gas and it popped again but this time it blew the lid off my air cleaner box.

HotZ28

Full Member Since 2005
SE
Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU 2019 Regal GS
No, I just started working on it again and decided to try and start it up. When doing so, I heard a pop in the intake. I tried again and pumped the gas and it popped again but this time it blew the lid off my air cleaner box.
Timing issue! You already have some good advice here on what to do & inspect.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!
Protect your vehicle from code scanners