1992 Buick Lesabre Limited Wheel Bearing

avtechwx3

Buick Ownership
1992 buick lesabre and 2000 buick park avenue
Hi Folks,

I am a recently new member and have had one thread so far in regards to a coolant temperature sensor. Thanks for the replies.

Now I have to do a front passenger wheel bearing. I did a pre-surgery trial run yesterday. Took the brakes off, removed the 32mm axle nut with my Dewalt impat drill, recognized the ABS sensor and clip which also came right off. I tried to remove the three bearing bolts after spraying with blaster. I used the 3/8 torx bit with a long handled 3/8 flex head ratchet and they weren't budging. I could try a pipe for more leverage but here is what I was wondering:

Could I use my impact drill which is a heavy duty 1/2 inch Dewalt and get a 3/8 adapter for the torx bit. On this car, the torx hub bolts are in the front, not the back so access is pretty easy and there is one larger opening on the hub that you can move to acess each bolt. Would I need a special impact torx bit since I am using an impact drill?

So the focus of of this thread is: 1. Can i use my impact drill to remove these bolts? 2. Can I get a 3/8 adapter for this drill and does it have to be an impact adapter (i believe that would be a yes)? 3. Can I use the standard 3/8 torx bit I have or would I have to obtain a special one for the impact if that is even available?

Thanks for your help.

Alan 55

Buick Newbie
Florida
Buick Ownership
2001 Buick Park Avenue, previously owned 1997 Park Avenue
Could you move up to a 1/2 inch drive breaker bar with appropriate socket?

Zeroboostbuick

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
Use Your Dewalt impact wrench with whatever adapter you need. Make sure the torx fits tightly and try to clean some of the crap inside the torx head if you can.

With the Impact gun, start with little spurts by holding trigger for 1 second or less. If the bolt doesn't budge with a constant 3 second try, you'll have to get a stronger impact gun or a braker bar and maybe a 3rd hand that can help steady the bit squarely and tightly into to bolt.

With out a impact gun, best thing to do is to heat the area around the bolts with a torch for a minute. But I assume the Impact gun will get it done.

One problem I have with old rusted torx bot heads is that the smaller they are the more likely they can strip.

avtechwx3

Buick Ownership
I got some people I know telling me not to use an impact drill on these 3 hub bolts because they can strip and then I really have a big problem. Then I have others telling me its ok, just be gentle so I don't know what to do. The other thing I notices was that when I tried to spin the hub in order to use the larger opening to access the bolts, it wasn't turning, just moving very slightly. Why is that?

Zeroboostbuick

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
Front wheel hubs will only turn if both front wheels are off the ground, and then they'll turn, but not very easily.

just use a breaker bar or a long handled ratchet and if you can, use a torch and heat the area around the bolt for at least 1 minute before trying to brake it loose.

avtechwx3

Buick Ownership
Yes, thanks man. After thinking about it most of the day Saturday, that is the way I was leaning. Just use the long handled 3/8 ratchet with a breaker and I'm thinking they will turn.

And I didn't even think about the hub not spinning. I thought maybe I had to put it in neutral, but that won't do it?

I have a 3 ton jack so I can get the Lesabre up high enough from the front. I haven't done that with this car previously, any particular point in the front you would recommend?

And if I need heat, what do you advise I use?

All the Best

Zeroboostbuick

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
I look for a engine cradle cross member beam that runs underneath just in front and across the whole engine bay for lifting the car up. And I set the jack in the middle so it raises both wheels at the same time evenly. And don't forget to put some kind of chok or brick or anything square behind and in front of the rear wheels so the car doesn't roll.

After you have both front wheels in the air, the hub with out the wheel will be hard to turn because it has no leverage, and because when you turn one wheel by hand, the other on the other side turns also, so it's very heavy to turn compared to the rear wheels.

For heating around the bolts, I've always used the same torch plumbers use. Find them in every plumbing isle and welding stuff too.

Just regular propane torch.

avtechwx3

Buick Ownership
Thanks much for the pointers. I will do this after the holiday on Thursday and let you know how it goes. I will try the breaker bar and penetrating before heat.

Since the hub bolts are T55 3/8, I should use a 3/8 breaker bar?

Do you recommend a hub puller as well?

avtechwx3

Buick Ownership
I will finally get around to this job on Monday. I was wondering if I should use Loctite on the three wheel bearing bolts and the 34mm axle nut?

I will also use anti seize on the back of the hub where it meets the knuckle.

Zeroboostbuick

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
I've replaced many wheel bearing hub assemblies and never used locktite.

Anti-sieze or high temp grease between the hub and knuckle is a good idea for sure.

I also put just a hair of high temp grease on the splines of the half-shaft and hub splines, so they slide in better.

avtechwx3

Buick Ownership
Hi Folks,

Took me some time to get around to this project but it is now complete. I used a breaker bar to get the hub bolts off and instead of hammering the hub off, I used a slide hammer and everything came off clean, no issues at all.

My new question is in regards to the abs traction light that came in when I first heard the bearing going bad. It is still on and I need to reset it. Should I simply disconnect both battery terminals or is there a more precise way to do this?

All The Best

Zeroboostbuick

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
Good to hear you got it done. I've also used a slide hammer many times removing hubs.

The ABS problem may be a wiring issue... Is the trac light ON as well ???

Here is a video showing how to diagnose this problem and how to fix it.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
On some ABS units which I can't recall the years that it covers it may have to cycle on and off, ignition on, running and driven I think, a couple of times to clear it out. It doesn't take much to trip it off depending on how destroyed the inside of the old bearing was. As in Zeroboostbuick's video, if it doesn't reset battery disconnect and couple of start cycles, it's time to maybe look elsewhere, good luck on the repair.

avtechwx3

Buick Ownership
Hi ZeroBoost and Others,

I don't think the video applies to a 1992 Lesabre because it has OnBoard Diagnostics 1. ABS and Trac are on but they went off only when the bearing became noisy. When I changed it, I didn't pull on it and installed the new wire connection from the new bearing to the wire that goes up into the engine bay. I remember hearing a long while back that on these cars of this vintage, there is a way to reset. I disconnected the battery for 3 days, didn't work. Do you all know of a way to reset this? Like I mentioned earlier, I can't use a OnBoard Diagnostics 2 to turn off.

Thanks All

Zeroboostbuick

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
The ABS light will turn off if the problem is fixed.

The video applies to pretty much ALL GM sedans from the late 80's and newer ;)

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Have you driven the car yet? Not sure as to the accuracy but as getting the ABS to work after a brake job the car needs to be driven to cycle the ABS without a scan tool, now on the hub replacement the misinformation highway says over 20 mph should clear it, others say 20 cycle start. I have no experience in OBD 1 code eraser and the old paperclip trick,only reading codes, if that's even possible for the erasing. Fuse and relay pulling seems to be popular for resets but I haven't done it so take all for face value. I've replaced hubs on my 95 Lesabre when I heard them going, but my ABS was never tripped so no need to reset.