• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

1993 Buick Lesabre High Idle

traviskx

Buick Ownership
1993 lesabre
Hey guys, Just to give a rundown of what I've done on the car since I bought it

• Replaced Brake Booster following failure
• Replaced Air Filter
• Cleaned up I.C.M. with electronics cleaner
• Cleaned Throttle Body / IACV
• Saw broken bit of silicone gasket when removing, added dab of silicone to try to repair it.
• Replaced Fuel Filter
• Replaced Gas Cap
• Following These ^ Car ran like shit and flashed service engine soon. Turns out T.P.S. Was out of position, and not tightened down.
• Cleaned PCV Valve (was still good)
• Replaced Vacuum
hoses that were obviously bad. fixed the vents blowing from Defrost to VENT Havent smoke checked for smaller leaks

I also sprayed carb cleaner around the throttle body to see if the idle increased.. no change

Car has very high idle. especially in park. In drive its not that bad, but still too high, I can be going 25 mph with my foot not even on the pedal. Following everything i've done, what could it be?

I also have an issue not pertaining to the engine, a Tambourine-like noise coming from the front left wheel, upon inspecting, the Bushings looked OK, usually shot ones are visually loose and could bounce around..? maybe they're only loose upon compression? Pls if anyone could clarify would help alot

Last edited:

traviskx

Buick Ownership
1993 lesabre
I found the cause of the tambourine noise, was as the person stated online. the sway bar bushings. I couldnt see that last time I inspected that.
I plan to replace all the links in the front and the bushings and the bushings in the rear aswell.

I also am going to check out the spark plugs.

There was a vacuum leak at a vacuum tee and coming out of the egr tube into the intake manifold. I cleaned the egr tube and oring in hopes of cleaning the dirt off would help the o ring seal better preventing vac leak, no dice. still smoke coming out. I also broke the egr tube one of the plastic retaining tabs. so thats a thing too.

traviskx

Buick Ownership
1993 lesabre
I went to the junkyard and found a new vacuum tee surprisingly and I got a egr tube that wasnt as broken. LOL the best one i could find. but i ended up just putting the o ring from the egr on the outside plastic of the tube . it sealed very well and does not have nearly as much play as before. after smoke testing. nothing from anywhere. Im hopeful. I did break a spark plug however.. so i need new set of plugs.. No biggie. Ordered all the suspension parts and plug and hopefully will have no problem passing smog following the new plugs install. even tho main issue was vacuum leak tbh. my old plugs were lean aswell. probably from the multitude of vacuum leaks that were on the car prior to me fixing them. Lets hope for the best.

traviskx

Buick Ownership
1993 lesabre
Idle is still too high. Cleaned mass airflow sensor. didnt make much of a change. Usually car idles high for first 10-20 seconds as most cars do to warm up, but the ambient temperature outside is hot as shit, so thats not as issue. And the motor was pre-warmed from previous drives.

Any suggestions?

Zeroboostbuick

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
I think the Air Intake Control Valve is not working properly.

Had the same problem on 2 different 3800's cars. Cleaning the AIC worked for 1 of the cars, but had to replace the other. I got one from the junkyard for next to nothing. Junkyards in my town allow you to come back and exchange electrical parts if the first one you bough from them doesn't work properly.

traviskx

Buick Ownership
1993 lesabre
Im thinking its the A I C V. I unplugged the sucker, and the idle is where it is supposed to be. Car doesnt shift right, but at least idle is OK. Im thinking of just going to the junkyard to get one, But would suck to get another faulty one. But I need a new hood latch anyways, so what the hell. Ill update and let you guys know.

traviskx

Buick Ownership
1993 lesabre
Also with the tambourine noise, it was the infamous sway bar bushing links. Or whatever the proper name is for those suckers on a bolt with some washers inbetween. LOL. I can visibly see the play inbetween the bushings. anyways, I ordered new bushings, sway bar bushings all around. Hopefully not a waste of $45.

traviskx

Buick Ownership
1993 lesabre
Following what I said the last post about it shifting badly, Now its not shifting that bad. I had IACV Sensor unplugged, and I figured I would plug it in before going to LKQ Just to see what it would do, it made idle go way too high again.

. Its such a pain in the ass having a sensor that doesnt want the plug to come out either. releasing the clip and prying with 2 screwdrivers on each end, no dice. Just have to work it until it comes out pretty much..

I got a junkyard iacv, but its all carboned similar to how mine was, so im not sure if this will be much of an upgrade or not. Im not sure how a new iacv is supposed to function, with the spring, so im just guessing at this point.

snipped the wire harness for iacv to splice in aswell, as i broke one of the tabs on the old plug, but it still kinda works.. just quirks of a 26 year old car, that lived in CA its whole life, I believe.

The real upgrade im proud of today is the hood latch LOL. I had some ghetto setup with tape holding just the rod in place so i can still actuate it. Now i have the hood latch we're good to go..
'
Also- tomorrow, the parts from R.A. Should be in, so im going to be doing the sway bar bushings / end links. Do these have to be torqued with the weight of the vehicle on the ground? or does it not matter.

Zeroboostbuick

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
Every time I replaced a sway bar end link I had the wheels in the air and never had a problem. However you can over tighten the links since the rubber will start compressing. I have no idea how to torque them properly, so i just used common sense. Once I saw the rubber compressing I called it good.

traviskx

Buick Ownership
1993 lesabre
Installed the iacv. wouldnt start until after a couple tries. After it started idle was right where it was supposed to be though.

following a small trip to test it out i came back and let it idle for a bit, and it kinda fluctuated? Its odd. Ill see if it takes a couple more tries to start when the parts come in. Or if it fluctuates again. Im not sure if this is computer set or not.

traviskx

Buick Ownership
1993 lesabre
Finally finished install of the sway bar bushings / links. One of the new links I bought got toasted when It was tightened down for whatever reason, So i had to reuse an old one.

Tambourine noise didnt go away though?!

wtf

my idle is okay though. still takes a press of the gas pedal for it to want to start up.

Pedal Commander