1993 park ave ultra supercharger issue

dullyman

Buick Newbie
Seattle
Buick Ownership
Buick Park Avenue Ultra 1993
My super charger is squealing pretty good and I am trying to figure out which rebuild kit or even narrow down exactly which super charger it is that I have in my vehicle. I did some research and I'm a little bit confused if it's a m90 or m62 supercharger or what...a little advance will be nice .thanks guys

HotZ28

SE
Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU 2019 Regal GS
In 1993, the S/C was an Eaton M62. 1996 was the first year of the M90. Where do you think the squeal sound is coming from, the front snout, belt drive, or idler pulleys?

dullyman

Buick Newbie
Seattle
Buick Ownership
Buick Park Avenue Ultra 1993
When I squirt w40 on the pulley attached to the snout of the supercharger the squeal goes away for a short while..I'm almost tempted to just replace the pulley but the tool to do so is like 100 on eBay so I'm looking into replacing the whole snout or rebuild kit..

HotZ28

SE
Buick Ownership
The belt, tensioner, or idler pulleys would be more likely cause squealing then the S/C pulley. I have never seen a worn S/C pulley.

ryenie

Maynardville, TN
Buick Ownership
95 Monte Carlo L36
I've never taken the s\c apart, I've only removed and installed it. Is there not a bearing in the snout that could be the cause of the noise.

HotZ28

SE
Buick Ownership
There are two bearings in the nose drive (snout) and both are lubricated by the S/C oil in the snout. There is also an oil seal in the front of the snout, behind the drive pulley to prevent oil leaking from the inside out and to prevent any contaminates/lubricants entering from the outside. If the seal is not leaking oil from the inside, it is highly unlikely that any type of lubricant sprayed on the belt/pulley could find it's way to the first snout bearing. http://www.3800supercharger.net/nosedrive.html

Buickguy123

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
93 Park Avenue SC Ultra 2000 Century Limitedd
This thread is 5 years old but my pulley on the SC seems to be making the same squealing sound and when I spray the front of the pulley NOT the belt or the grooves on the pulley all goes quiet. However it warmed up to 62 degrees in Denver yesterday and when I started the car and drove it all was quiet. I bought a 12 dollar pulley on Amazon because one of the mechanics where they just replaced the head gaskets said it was the pulley too. Supposedly the other mechanic put a new coupler and oil in when they took it all off for the gaskets but then on the bill it showed no charges for the coupler or the oil for the SC? LOL will a 3 prong pulley puller from Harbor Freight Tools work on pulling this pulley off? Advance sells one too for $20 or does one need a fancier $120 device?

Buickguy123

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
There are two bearings in the nose drive (snout) and both are lubricated by the S/C oil in the snout. There is also an oil seal in the front of the snout, behind the drive pulley to prevent oil leaking from the inside out and to prevent any contaminates/lubricants entering from the outside. If the seal is not leaking oil from the inside, it is highly unlikely that any type of lubricant sprayed on the belt/pulley could find it's way to the first snout bearing. http://www.3800supercharger.net/nosedrive.html
When I spray WD 40 into the pulley where the nut is and not on the belt or belt grooves all goes quiet but I think smoke started coming from the front of the engine for a few seconds which makes me wonder if the ad 40 is entering the SC snout and then is blown into the engine where burned? Hence the smoke for a few seconds?

Buickguy123

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
My neighbor thinks the pulley is bad. As he said it squeals on start up then gets quiet. We think the grease in the pulley slowly lubricates the pully then it goes quiet? He also thinks it comes off by removing the nut but a pulley puller is needed for that SC correct. Eaton 62 or 26...not 90? The clowns or guys who did my intake haskets charged me for a new coupler so I am guessing they put that in? As usual I do not trust them...shops mechanics sorry...none of them....they buy a part at NAPA for 30 and charge you 50...anyway

Buickguy123

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
This! I can't imagine the pulley on the snout causing a squeal. It's gotta be something else. Pete
My neighbor and I are sure it is a SC pulley squeal. Just a little WD 40 into the nut, NOT on the belt, on the outside of the pulley and it goes totally quiet briefly, It, the pulley, has to have bearings and grease that can fail? You could be right and it is farther in the SC. The squeal is getting worse.

Buickguy123

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
This! I can't imagine the pulley on the snout causing a squeal. It's gotta be something else. Pete
Now I think you are right since SC oil is leaking. One of the bottom bolts was loose and another is I think but I cannot get a wrench on it without tearing stuff apart. So as the fluid escapes the squeal increases. I think?

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
1999 Buick Park Avenue Ultra (Supercharged)
Now I think you are right since SC oil is leaking. One of the bottom bolts was loose and another is I think but I cannot get a wrench on it without tearing stuff apart. So as the fluid escapes the squeal increases. I think?
Your supercharger has a snout bearing that is lubricated internally by the 5w-30 oil with animal fats(specially formulated for high heat, sc uses.) and WILL slightly weep oil as factory intended but it shouldn’t drip or shoot out. The supercharger pulley should not change noise from wd40. That tells me the end has some opening or something broke and the wd40 can hit he bearing because it should not from the outside. The factory weep is on the inside where you can’t see or reach without a straw and a mirror. Which even then shouldn’t let wd40 in.
Unless your wyd 40 is being flung into the belt which quiets it. Did you replace the belt and clean the pulleys of all wd40 like I said? Wd40 is a contaminant and the belt can no longer be expected to be quiet or properly grip the pulleys if it was contaminated.

Buickguy123

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Your supercharger has a snout bearing that is lubricated internally by the 5w-30 oil with animal fats(specially formulated for high heat, sc uses.) and WILL slightly weep oil as factory intended but it shouldn’t drip or shoot out. The supercharger pulley should not change noise from wd40. That tells me the end has some opening or something broke and the wd40 can hit he bearing because it should not from the outside. The factory weep is on the inside where you can’t see or reach without a straw and a mirror. Which even then shouldn’t let wd40 in.
Unless your wyd 40 is being flung into the belt which quiets it. Did you replace the belt and clean the pulleys of all wd40 like I said? Wd40 is a contaminant and the belt can no longer be expected to be quiet or properly grip the pulleys if it was contaminated.
Oil seems to be leaking from the SC cover. A mechanic changed the coupler supposedly and either did not use a gasket or overfilled the SC with oil. One nut on the bottom was very loose. I tightened that one but could not get a wrench on the other. Buried behind a bracket. I think it is still leaking because of that one. When the engine stalled last time upon reaching operating temperatue and to 220 degrees it threw codes 18 41 58 and 66. So I have seen codes 18 41 56 and 58 and 66 at different times the last 3 months. HB and CPS sensor changed at shop. Tach now totally out! Car starts. I read same wire connects CPS and Cam Sensor. You folks think the what ECM or ICM maybe be bad? Could it be just a bad Camshaft sensor? $15 online. But some sort of magnet inside of the engine that can break? Stumped! That shop is just gonna want more money.

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
Oil seems to be leaking from the SC cover. A mechanic changed the coupler supposedly and either did not use a gasket or overfilled the SC with oil. One nut on the bottom was very loose. I tightened that one but could not get a wrench on the other. Buried behind a bracket. I think it is still leaking because of that one. When the engine stalled last time upon reaching operating temperatue and to 220 degrees it threw codes 18 41 58 and 66. So I have seen codes 18 41 56 and 58 and 66 at different times the last 3 months. HB and CPS sensor changed at shop. Tach now totally out! Car starts. I read same wire connects CPS and Cam Sensor. You folks think the what ECM or ICM maybe be bad? Could it be just a bad Camshaft sensor? $15 online. But some sort of magnet inside of the engine that can break? Stumped! That shop is just gonna want more money.
Hold your horses. The wire is not connected to both, there is a harness that contains the wiring of both that runs up the side in a loom show us what you’re worried about with pics

Buickguy123

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Hold your horses. The wire is not connected to both, there is a harness that contains the wiring of both that runs up the side in a loom show us what you’re worried about with pics
The wires are bare in places on the many places. So I am in the process of removing the bracket that holds the alternator. Also the lines that run to the heater core. I need to find where that Supercharger is leaking since hot fluid has been running on the wires. How the two shops could hand me back a car with the wires in this condition just totally peeves me! Are they blind? Crappy mechics crappy service. Thieves! I will get this sorted out time willing.

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
The wires are bare in places on the many places. So I am in the process of removing the bracket that holds the alternator. Also the lines that run to the heater core. I need to find where that Supercharger is leaking since hot fluid has been running on the wires. How the two shops could hand me back a car with the wires in this condition just totally peeves me! Are they blind? Crappy mechics crappy service. Thieves! I will get this sorted out time willing.
That would be a problem if by Bare you mean insulation is missing. If it’s as you say, the wires are functionally junk. If this is as bad you say(SHOW US PICS) I suggest finding a similar year 3800 and taking the harness or chopping the harness off at the fuel rail and soldering it in with connectors and proper insulation and conduit etc already done you just have to match colors

Buickguy123

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
That would be a problem if by Bare you mean insulation is missing. If it’s as you say, the wires are functionally junk. If this is as bad you say(SHOW US PICS) I suggest finding a similar year 3800 and taking the harness or chopping the harness off at the fuel rail and soldering it in with connectors and proper insulation and conduit etc already done you just have to match colors
I can see the red or copper sticking out of the wires.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!
Protect your vehicle from code scanners