1993 park ave ultra supercharger issue

Buickguy123

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
93 Park Avenue SC Ultra 2000 Century Limitedd
That would be a problem if by Bare you mean insulation is missing. If it’s as you say, the wires are functionally junk. If this is as bad you say(SHOW US PICS) I suggest finding a similar year 3800 and taking the harness or chopping the harness off at the fuel rail and soldering it in with connectors and proper insulation and conduit etc already done you just have to match colors
I was thinking the wires can be either soldered or using those boot jackets connected then covered with electrical type tape? Lots of videos on youtube. If one wanted to replace the wires running from the Camshaft and sensor and especially the Crankcase sensor one is looking at a lot of work correct? That harness from the CPS goes where? Buried behing the HB? Yes I will take some pictures.

Buickguy123

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
I was thinking the wires can be either soldered or using those boot jackets connected then covered with electrical type tape? Lots of videos on youtube. If one wanted to replace the wires running from the Camshaft and sensor and especially the Crankcase sensor one is looking at a lot of work correct? That harness from the CPS goes where? Buried behing the HB? Yes I will take some pictures.
Butt connectors I guess they are called.

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
1999 Buick Park Avenue Ultra (Supercharged)
Butt connectors I guess they are called.
You CAN use them but there is a time and place for time Saving and convenient electrical work and it’s not underhood for your engines primary ignition and timing electrical.
They are for inside a nice house with push in electrical nuts and inside a car with heat shrink crimp eyelets etc
Not a wire to wire connection. If you aren’t as comfortable wiring with solder you could get a special tool and buy a weather pack connector with enough pins and individually pin each wire and crimp a connector and pin out the connector halves to match and make a connector...

im joking btw that’s way more work than reasonable for a harness only you have and have no need to quick connect for any reason in the future

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
It all runs very obviously on the side of the engine we already discussed that.
The splice connectors yiu discuss according to my 99 manual CAN be used but aren’t the best for high temp areas. Your engine bay cooks pretty hot especially the area behind the radiator and next to and touching the engine.
See where I’m going? If you are confident in the idea you can try but it’s not going to be as future proof as solder. In my opinion you’re going to be in the engine bay hunched over to do this for a while make it count

But if you do decide to use them for a full harness, I would make sure to seal the crimps with extra heat shrink. This will add a lot of odd straight, non bending lengths to your harness but it’s doable.
If you are not looking to repair damaged wire, I would really suggest solder and depending on the wire it may need special insulation for EMI so you need to find that out too

that’s a whole new ball game.
But a 93 may not and you’ll probably only find twisted or shielded wire in your audio system. So if it’s normal have fun? Lol

Buickguy123

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Here is the harness. I am left wondering if the CPS harness part connector can be disconnected and gently pulled up and out because it is behing a lot of...stuff? If so I would have the whole harness out. 4 connectors wires. I have SC bolts out except for the two nuts on the inch long shafts that a plastic wire holder snaps onto. Those nuts or bolts are so tight the threads are stripping with a 10 mm screwdriver as I try to loosen it. Does the PS pump need to be totally disconnected to remove the snout? I can move it a few inches as I removed most of the bolts to the bracket. There must be more down below the PS pump? You can see how fried those wires are from years of dripping oil coolant etc. I think they are not repairable? 20210509_102210.jpg 20210509_124126.jpg 20210509_124207.jpg 20210509_124232.jpg 20210509_102127.jpg

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
Here is the harness. I am left wondering if the CPS harness part connector can be disconnected and gently pulled up and out because it is behing a lot of...stuff? If so I would have the whole harness out. 4 connectors wires. I have SC bolts out except for the two nuts on the inch long shafts that a plastic wire holder snaps onto. Those nuts or bolts are so tight the threads are stripping with a 10 mm screwdriver as I try to loosen it. Does the PS pump need to be totally disconnected to remove the snout? I can move it a few inches as I removed most of the bolts to the bracket. There must be more down below the PS pump? You can see how fried those wires are from years of dripping oil coolant etc. I think they are not repairable? View attachment 30553 View attachment 30554 View attachment 30555 View attachment 30556 View attachment 30557
I’m not sure about where the ps sits in your car but you are saying the connector is stuck in the sensor? It should come out like any other. It’s only two wires at the cam sensor I believe maybe 3. You can remove the sensor and fish it out then remove the connector with more room. The sensor has one bolt and it just sticks in the timing cover

should be be obstructed but don’t quote me. If you do that, then you’ll be able to do repairs. If you want to test a wire that you are unsure of get some alligator clips for multimeter and test the wire at the earliest point and the end or connector safely for continuity and move the wire while checking. If it’s not a lot of drop or resistance it’s probably good, I’d just clean the wire and fix any broken insulation with some liquid electrical tape remember you can also cut out a section of wire and add in just be conservative because too much of that will add bulk

make sure to use new conduit and a good idea for any wire harness is TESSA tape wire harness cloth tape. That stuff is gold

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
It's TESA, had to look at the roll to confirm, but you are correct its great for automotive usage.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
I Google your spelling and it took me to a Mexican restaurant lol, wouldn't want any more confusion on this saga of a post. I think Amazon is looking at making it series.

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
8E828F82-2AA9-49F3-A5F3-151FA260A82D.jpeg
I didn’t even remember I did this. So I did my harness on side in tesa because the conduit fell apart when touched. You can see the roll in the corner on the coil hanging out

Buickguy123

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
I’m not sure about where the ps sits in your car but you are saying the connector is stuck in the sensor? It should come out like any other. It’s only two wires at the cam sensor I believe maybe 3. You can remove the sensor and fish it out then remove the connector with more room. The sensor has one bolt and it just sticks in the timing cover

should be be obstructed but don’t quote me. If you do that, then you’ll be able to do repairs. If you want to test a wire that you are unsure of get some alligator clips for multimeter and test the wire at the earliest point and the end or connector safely for continuity and move the wire while checking. If it’s not a lot of drop or resistance it’s probably good, I’d just clean the wire and fix any broken insulation with some liquid electrical tape remember you can also cut out a section of wire and add in just be conservative because too much of that will add bulk

make sure to use new conduit and a good idea for any wire harness is TESSA tape wire harness cloth tape. That stuff is gold
Well I finally got all the super charger bolts out but I cannot remove just the cover of the SC because of the gasket rtv he put on when changing the coupler I guess. The whole unit wants to come out so I need to totally remove the power steering unit because it moves to where I can start to pull the SC apart but the PS and the bracket block total removal but that must be taken out to pull the whole SC unit out. Or the SC could be removed I guess from the top. Or how can I seperate the cover and snout with that gasket there? I am sure SC fluid was leaking below the cover or snout or there is a crack in the engine block behind that coolant hose elbow but it looked like SC fluid not oil. Dripping on wires. All of this is new territory for me. What I can see of the SC as it pulls out are dirty black rotors?? Not wise to clean them I read. The big question are the wires. I have all the wires out except for the wires running down to the CPS. The camshaft sensor is totally out. I have to see how hard it might be to get the wires out from the crankcase position sensor. It is behind a lot of stuff. Little by little. A trip to the junkyard might work. Can one buy the whole wire harness unit?? I see they sell pigtails and what not...seperate pieces...or I will clean and solder....any ideas on how to clean off dirty wires without doing damage? This must be done or the old beast goes nowhere. LOL

Buickguy123

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership

Attachments

• 20210509_124207.jpg
    20210509_124207.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 20210509_124126.jpg
    20210509_124126.jpg
    372.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 20210509_102210.jpg
    20210509_102210.jpg
    339.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 20210509_102127.jpg
    20210509_102127.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 1

Buickguy123

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
I wish I could say something hopeful.
I will get it fixed. It was the "old man's" last car and I am determined to get to 200,000 miles at least. 24000 to go. It has been a solid car overall. 28 years old. Fingers crossed.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
If that is one harness it may be time to check all of the harnesses. Lots of phantom codes and poor running conditions can be found from shorts which can cause parts tossing at codes where it's in the wiring. If used harnesses are even available it could be a route to at least consider as the current ones may be to brittle to try restoring.

Buickguy123

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Sound thinking Lucerne. I wonder if GM used the same harness up until the 2004 PA model or other GM products. Possibly I could take one off a junkyard car and insert the whole thing into my beast. It is a thought. Little by little.

Buickguy123

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership

I think you mean DEKA tape? A product I saw at Rock Auto anyway.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
TESA is the correct tape vs the household electrical tape, DEKA is a completely different type of self curing tape which might be useful.

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
A large pick tool might help with sensor on my 90 I could physically get it with a screwdriver on my 99 I could use a pick tool and a proper angle.
Small arms help lol

Get your turbo buick badge right here!
Protect your vehicle from code scanners