1995 3.1 Skylark ALDL issues

Tommyboylark

San Diego, Ca
Buick Ownership
1995 Skylark 3.1
Hey everyone I'm new here and stumbled across this forum hopefully someone can help me out, I recently put a another motor into my 1995 Buick Skylark, it is the 3.1 v6 Vin M. the car runs great but it has a high idle and I can't figure out why, the service engine light keeps coming on when idle gets above 1200 at a stop or in park and I can't read the codes. I think it may be an intake leak but I looked at all the codes and it seems like there isn't one specifically for high idle. My ALDL connector is a 12 pin but it only has three terminals in it, from what I'm reading it's a rare set up between OBD 1 and 2 can someone tell me what kind of code reader I can use?

HotZ28

Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU
You may be able to jump terminal A&B on that particular vehicle and follow the flashing lights on the CEL. You can find the OBD1 diagnostic chart for those codes anywhere on the web. If you have any problem finding those, let me know and I can direct you to the codes. Usually, the high idle is caused by a vacuum leak, or EGR leak, You need to find out what code is shown!

Tommyboylark

San Diego, Ca
Buick Ownership
1995 Skylark 3.1
You may be able to jump terminal A&B on that particular vehicle and follow the flashing lights on the CEL. You can find the OBD1 diagnostic chart for those codes anywhere on the web. If you have any problem finding those, let me know and I can direct you to the codes. Usually, the high idle is caused by a vacuum leak, or EGR leak, You need to find out what code is shown!
yeah I know, I tried bridging the two but nothing blinks. I read you need a code reader to read the blinks. I'll take a picture of the ALDL connector in the morning.

LARRY70GS

Oakland Gardens, N.Y.
Buick Ownership
98 Riviera, 70 GS455 Stg1
Put a vacuum gauge on it and see what it is pulling at idle, in Park, fully warmed up. Should be 20"

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
If it's similar to this you have it OBD 1. 95 GM seemed to be clearing off the shelfs for the OBD 2 so it's a little hard to have a consistent answer on what may be in vehicles during this period. Some ports are in A and M position not the A and B position, some have the 1.5 OBD, some have the OBD 1.

Sorry I don't have any OBD readers I can recommend as I haven't had any experience on this port and there's probably a forum member that would know what will work for sure.

561653_DLC_95_Beretta_1.jpg

Tommyboylark

San Diego, Ca
Buick Ownership
1995 Skylark 3.1
If it's similar to this you have it OBD 1. 95 GM seemed to be clearing off the shelfs for the OBD 2 so it's a little hard to have a consistent answer on what may be in vehicles during this period. Some ports are in A and M position not the A and B position, some have the 1.5 OBD, some have the OBD 1.

Sorry I don't have any OBD readers I can recommend as I haven't had any experience on this port and there's probably a forum member that would know what will work for sure.

View attachment 15638
This is my aldl, but yeah I kept putting it off because I never got a cel until after swapping the motor.

Attachments

Tommyboylark

San Diego, Ca
Buick Ownership
1995 Skylark 3.1
Yeah I found it it, was a crack on the top intake where the EGR rides I had to remove the EGR to see it. She idles well now, but the transmission slips now.

HotZ28

Buick Ownership
That is definitely an OBDI ALDL. Those do not have 12-v power to the connector to power the scanner, so you have to use an cigarette lighter plug adapter which comes with most capable OBDI-OBDII scanners. I have several scanners that are capable of reading both. Matco 9640B, Matco 9001a & Actron 9190 which include all the connector cables necessary. As shown in the link below, is an another option to download some free software into a laptop and get the right ALDL cable for your application.
OBD Diagnostics

Last edited:

HotZ28

Buick Ownership
QUOTE="Tommyboylark, post: 300887, member: 51168"]
Thank you, I'll check that out. 12 volt cigarette lighter to power the ALDL, who would have known?
[/QUOTE]
You may have misinterpreted my post, which may have my been fault! Read it again. The 12-v cigarette connector on an OBDI connector powers the scanner, not the ALDL.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.