1995 Buick Riviera electrical issues

BoDeen427

Buick Ownership
1995 Buick Riviera
Hey everyone,
I have a '95 Buick Riviera and I've had multiple electrical issues with it since I bought the car about a year ago. The radio will change stations randomly and lately the volume will max out. It seems to do this when I apply the brake pedal but I'm not sure if that's always the case, it seems to do it when I'm driving also. I just got to where I turn the radio power switch off everytime I get out of the car. Also, I noticed lately that the radio doesn't always shut off by itself when I turn the car off like it used to do. I went into a store the other day and came back out to my radio blaring! Also the climate control/AC temp settings fluctuate up and down randomly and also sometimes it just comes on by itself. I thought that it could be a bad BCM but I read in a different forum that '95 Buick Roadmasters didn't have a BCM so now I'm wondering if they started putting BCM's in Rivieras starting in 1996. Does anyone know what might be going on with this car?

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
Is the radio a factory unit?
when you open the drivers door and the radio stays on, do the interior lights come on?
If not I suspect a bad switch in the drivers door latch mechanism.

BoDeen427

Buick Ownership
1995 Buick Riviera
Is the radio a factory unit?
when you open the drivers door and the radio stays on, do the interior lights come on?
If not I suspect a bad switch in the drivers door latch mechanism.
Thank you!
Yes, it is a factory radio and I noticed lately that the interior lights don't always come on when opening the door. I believe someone in another thread said that the door switch is in the door latches.

LARRY70GS

Oakland Gardens, N.Y.
Buick Ownership
98 Riviera, 70 GS455 Stg1
Your problem may be faulty ground(s). I can tell you that trying to diagnose electrical problems in these cars is next to impossible without a Factory Service Manual. If you are serious about keeping the car and working on it, an FSM is not optional. This is an absolute steal on Ebay,

1995 Oldsmobile Aurora Buick Riviera OEM Service Shop Manual 2-Vol Set | eBay

Also visit www.rivperformance.com The entire site is dedicated to the 95-99 Buick Riviera.

BoDeen427

Buick Ownership
1995 Buick Riviera
Your problem may be faulty ground(s). I can tell you that trying to diagnose electrical problems in these cars is next to impossible without a Factory Service Manual. If you are serious about keeping the car and working on it, an FSM is not optional. This is an absolute steal on Ebay,

1995 Oldsmobile Aurora Buick Riviera OEM Service Shop Manual 2-Vol Set | eBay

Also visit www.rivperformance.com The entire site is dedicated to the 95-99 Buick Riviera.
Yes, I do need to get one, thanks for the link! I'm gonna add it to my list.

BoDeen427

Buick Ownership
1995 Buick Riviera
Yes, I do need to get one, thanks for the link! I'm gonna add it to my list.
I am a member of Rivperformance but for some reason I am unable to log in. Everytime I try to log in it says that I have the wrong username associated with my email address and everytime I try to re-register it tells me that my email address is already associated with this account. I don't know what to do and I haven't figured out who to talk to or how in order to fix the situation. They were supposed to have sent a confirmation email when I signed up a few months ago but I don't think they ever did. I searched my email for it and didn't see it....

BoDeen427

Buick Ownership
1995 Buick Riviera
What is your Username there? Same as here?
It's BoDeen427 but I just re-registered with my other email address and used a different username, Harley1450, and when they sent the confirmation link there was also an email address in there to get in touch with them so I did. I told them about my original account and what was going on and hopefully they'll be able to figure it out. It's not really a big deal but I don't really use my Yahoo account anymore, I mainly use gmail....

BoDeen427

Buick Ownership
1995 Buick Riviera
OK, the Administrator there is AA. If you have any more trouble, I can contact him for you. Jump on that FSM, you will never figure out your problems without it, trust me. I'd be lost without it on my 98.
Thanks!
Yes Sir, hopefully I'll here back from them and I added those FSM's to my list. Probably be a day or two before I get them.... I'm actually thinking about selling my '95 and getting a '96 thru '99. One that's in better shape. This one runs good but it has some cosmetic issues inside and out.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.