1995 Buick Riviera Temperature Gauge

Rivimarc

Buick Ownership
1995 Buick Riviera
This may have been answered here already. However I have a 1995 Riviera S/C I bought this car in 2014. The temperature gauge has not worked since I purchased the car. Now what I have done is replace the temp sensor. I was told that this car has two, but I have found this to be false. This car has only one. Now I pulled the cluster and tested the gauge head. I works correctly. When you start the car it rises from its resting position to the first line. Does not move after that. I had several codes and traced them back to the pcm. That has been changed and the codes are gone and have been for six years now. The A/C work correctly so that tells me the pcm sees the correct temperature and when I have it connected to the obd scan tool it registers the engine temp between 180 and 210 depending on the cycle of the thermostat. Kinda stumped here. The only other symptom is the idle is low during cold start but runs perfect after that. Fuel pressure is good, I did replace the fuel pump do to the fuel gauge not registering correctly. I am not sure what else to check. I can add an aftermarket temp gauge but I rather enjoy the look of the factory cluster. Thanks for any help but I understand if I am at a dead end.

MelsRegal

Staff member
Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
Did you install the correct sender?
What manufacturer and part number?

Rivimarc

Buick Ownership
1995 Buick Riviera
That was six years ago, let me pull the paperwork and see. Never even thought about that. Maybe the reason for the rough cold starts as well. Ill get back with part number. I am sure it was a cheap autozone or advance part.

Rivimarc

Buick Ownership
1995 Buick Riviera
Did you install the correct sender?
What manufacturer and part number?
For some reason that is one of the receipts I cannot find. I can change it again. Coolant is due for changing anyhow. Any recommendations?

MelsRegal

Staff member
Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
Looking at gmpartsdirect.com they show two types, one clearly states not for SC. Try an original AC Delco or Standard Motor Products.
I assume the original is gone so you can't do a resistance test for comparison.

Rivimarc

Buick Ownership
1995 Buick Riviera
Looking at gmpartsdirect.com they show two types, one clearly states not for SC. Try an original AC Delco or Standard Motor Products.
I assume the original is gone so you can't do a resistance test for comparison.
Yes, it has been gone for a number of years. The original, if I recall. Ill get a delco one and install. I have been rereading old posts from here and riviera performance, some say there are two. I have had the blower and the lower intake off this engine and I have yet to see a second sensor.

HotZ28

Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU
If the scanner is reading the correct temp, that means that the PCM is getting the correct info from the sending unit! That all sounds like the gauge is not reading correctly.

Rivimarc

Buick Ownership
1995 Buick Riviera
If the scanner is reading the correct temp, that means that the PCM is getting the correct info from the sending unit! That all sounds like the gauge is not reading correctly.
Thats, right. I was also wondering if maybe the body control had any part in it. I really need a service manual with diagrams at this point. Thank you for the input.

LARRY70GS

Oakland Gardens, N.Y.
Buick Ownership
98 Riviera, 70 GS455 Stg1
This is a steal,

IMO, these manuals are not optional, you must have them if you intend to keep and work on the car.

Rockauto has the sensors,

Rivimarc

Buick Ownership
1995 Buick Riviera
So I have my service manuals now and there is two different temp sensors, on for supercharged and one for N/A, but one has two pins one has three so there is no way to install and connect the wrong one. The gauge gets its information from the pcm from the data line. I have a spare cluster for testing and it works on all fronts but the temp gauge. There must be an issue with the data line somewhere along the line, but im not sure thats true because if there was a severed connection in the data line then I would have a CEL and I do not. I do have a bad range selector and I am suspecting that there may be a connection. I do know that if the range selector is malfunctioning it will effect the ignition timing along with other things. So I need to repair that before I got any further in my diag.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!