• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

1996 Century Sedan - Driver's Door won't open from outside

Virto

Buick Ownership
1996 Century Limited
Hey guys - hopefully a quick one here. 96 Century.

The driver's exterior door handle fell apart and I replaced it tonight - unfortunately with a crap Dorman part that stripped out as soon as you tried to bolt it down. Slapped everything back together and have lock and inside door handle operation but the door will not open from the outside handle at all, whereas it could on the old handle, but it was very fiddly.

I assume something is up with the door latch itself, either the rod fell off or I screwed something up. I was wondering if anyone had any pictures of the door latch assembly so I can wrap my head around the operation. I TRIED to just look up stock images of it, but apparently nobody makes replacements for the Century in this vintage.

Virto

Buick Ownership
1996 Century Limited
This is actually awesome, and already solved my problem.

I've got the door handle rod in the lower hole of the actuator, not on the top arm like shown here. I even saw that hole when I put it back together but assumed with the twist at the end of the rod that it went where I stuck it. By doing that, it doesn't lower enough to trigger the lock.

I'll tear into it tomorrow after work. Pretty sure you just solved everything here.

Virto

Buick Ownership
1996 Century Limited
Just wanted to post a follow-up, this saved the day - that was the exact issue - the outside handle rod needs to go in the TOP of the lever, not the hole in the front, which must be for other applications.

I solved the issue of the crap aftermarket door handle and self-threading nuts buy hacking off the studs, drilling out the holes and then just running some bolts, washers and nuts thru the handle instead. Cheap garbage.