1996 custom century 3.1

Tracykilo

Louisville kentucky USA
Buick Ownership
Century custom sport 1996 3100
I just replaced wheel bearings on drivers side outer tie rod had alignment new tires now when I excellerate it drifts to right let off gas drifts to left .. what could this be please help cause I gotta fix it before I go out of town. I can't figure out what it could be

CorvairGeek

3.8L Member
The Gem State
Buick Ownership
1996, 92 Buick Century
A total of 3. One directly under the front (passenger's side) of the engine, two on the transmission. One of these is near the front of the car (driver's side) and one directly in front of the driver's feet, on the rear of the transmission.

Tracykilo

Louisville kentucky USA
Buick Ownership
It turned out to be a ball joint now my axle shaft broke at the yoke and I dont know if it's a 3 speed or 4 speed I counted the teeth and there's at least 35 on the shaft that goes to engine end . How can I know for sure and this one is a year old . Ball joint is installed .can't find receipt for the shaft. Any recommendations on where to purchase another? This is crazy the ball joint and axle shaft are the new side that's gone bad the passenger side is still all original.

HotZ28

SE
Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU 2019 Regal GS
If you buy parts from AZ (from China) most have a record of the purchase with your phone number. If the shaft had a lifetime warranty, it should be replaced @ no cost. Most AZ (Duralast CV joints) will fail sooner than later, usually in the first year!

Last edited:

Regal LTD Coupe

Buick Ownership
1993 Buick Regal Limited coupe 3800
Learned my lesson with O'Reilly's "VDO" junk blower motor. Was always noisy and quit working in less than a year, then I forgot about it and eventually in a junkyard found a Canadian made factory blower motor that worked quietly and like new (only wish I had grabbed the resistor at the same time). Later on when I remembered it (like 4 or 5 years later) I brought the VDO one to another O'Reilly's location and they honored the lifetime warranty with a full refund which was nice.

I would buy from them again but only being very picky with what I'd buy. I would rather take my time sourcing NOS, something domestically made whenever possible, or even factory used over foreign made junk. Occasionally something will show up stamped made in USA (such as Moog tierods recently) but it's not something I've come to hold my breath on. It is entirely possible to source and install parts that are better than what was installed at the factory; it's much more likely though to end up with worse parts if one is not mindful and diligent in sourcing them.

Tracykilo

Louisville kentucky USA
Buick Ownership
New situation on cv axle shaft and seal . Both just installed and the shaft is not locking into place to where it is allowing fluid to pour out there is two different shafts 3 speed and 4 speed trans . From my investigation I'm to believe it's a 4 speed please help still Fighting this century why isn't it (axle) locking into trans is it possible wrong shaft box said 4 speed could it be mislabeled or just wrong shaft

Tracykilo

Louisville kentucky USA
Buick Ownership
New situation on cv axle shaft and seal . Both just installed and the shaft is not locking into place to where it is allowing fluid to pour out there is two different shafts 3 speed and 4 speed trans . From my investigation I'm to believe it's a 4 speed please help still Fighting this century why isn't it (axle) locking into trans is it possible wrong shaft box said 4 speed could it be mislabeled or just wrong shaft
4 Speed

Last edited:

Tracykilo

Louisville kentucky USA
Buick Ownership
4 speed

Tracykilo

Louisville kentucky USA
Buick Ownership
Axle was not seated I got a click from it finally it's locked in place . When I put it in gear getting loud clank motor and transmission mounts next cause it's still pulling on exceleration.

Tracykilo

Louisville kentucky USA
Buick Ownership
Still having problem with acceleration. Car pulls to right when accelerating but steering wheel does not turn at same time like something is loose. Pulls to right on acceleration and settles back when released. Changed out two transmission mounts and waiting on 2 motor mounts to come in . But it seems like the passenger tire is geared tighter then driver side. Like there's more torque coming from passenger side please help

Get your turbo buick badge right here!