• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

1997 Buick Park Avenue HVAC not blowing out of dash

97PA

Buick Ownership
1997 Park Avenue
I have the same year and have had many HVAC issues over the years to resolve (blend and mode actuator faults, temperature sensor problems and a bad blower motor). This site will give you a lot of help if you search "HVAC Park Avenue" or use more descriptive words for your problem as a search key. Your problem sounds like a blower motor, blower motor control module and/or fuse (if you're not getting air flow out of any of the vents when you select each of mode selections). If you're not getting air out of the dash but the defroster and lower vents are working that could be the mode actuator. If the fan speeds aren't changing in response to the fan settings that could be a blower motor control module.

motomom

Buick Ownership
1997 Buick Park Avenue
Thank you. I will do some more searching and I'm sure I'll find the information I need.
The fan motor works. The speeds change and the air temp changes as it should. But, arbitrarily, the air will blow like crazy out the lower vents, a little out of the defroster, and none out of the dash. We set the temp to 75 degrees, set the air flow to the middle (even though no air flows there), shut the control off and turn off the car. We unhook the battery for a few minutes, then hook everything back up and turn the engine on. We turn on the air control and everything works just fine for a few days or weeks. Then we have to start the whole process again.

I have the same year and have had many HVAC issues over the years to resolve (blend and mode actuator faults, temperature sensor problems and a bad blower motor). This site will give you a lot of help if you search "HVAC Park Avenue" or use more descriptive words for your problem as a search key. Your problem sounds like a blower motor, blower motor control module and/or fuse (if you're not getting air flow out of any of the vents when you select each of mode selections). If you're not getting air out of the dash but the defroster and lower vents are working that could be the mode actuator. If the fan speeds aren't changing in response to the fan settings that could be a blower motor control module.

97PA

Buick Ownership
1997 Park Avenue
From your description, it could be a faulty mode actuator. There shouldn't be a redirection of air when not selected (commanded) to the defroster and lower vents when the system was operating normally through the dash vents. I'm a little concerned by the runaway fan speed when this happens and how it goes back to normal and resets after you remove the battery power, as that sounds like a HVAC programmer issue. If I had to guess at this point, I would lean towards a HVAC programmer problem.

Pedal Commander